Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there tropical Fish keepers here

Options
  • 09-05-2003 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Is there any one on this board that has a keen interest in Tropical Fish keeping.

So maybe if we can get enough interested we can set up a board for tips and maybe fish swapping and the like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

I keep tropical fish & i'm in my third year. I've a 4ft fish tank with 5 clown loaches, 4 black widows, 4 sissor tails, a pleco & a scatter of neon tetras.....I've missed one

I used to have mikey mouse plateys... I learnt a lot about tropical fish keeping with these as they are a very 'durable' & can cpo with nearly every mistake you make...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Hey KoNiT

where do you get your fish from

Declan

I'm in Mayo so I goto a pet shop in High St Galway he's the cleanest (might not look it but its whats in the tank that counts!),
    He even took fish back from me - I had 5 Tiger Barbs which he took against the clown loaches I got. Any time I'm in galway I always call in to see how fish are being kept. They're used to me in there now

Theres a place on Capel St Dublin, which is OK, been there a few times, & brought fish back to Mayo no problem,

There's another place in Blanchardstown which was only new when I was there (last year) , a few dead fish in every tank!! but a great range of tanks & accessories.

where do you get yours ?

I have seen the guy in galway he had some nice fish and his delivery was coming in on the Thursday afternoon and I didnt have time to hang around he was a really nice guy if I remember.

I get mine on the quays beside templebar in Dublin there is a pet shop there or Clondalkin Garden Centre which I find good as Nothing that I have bought from them has Died yet "knock on wood".

I might Go over to Blanch tonight and see what they have and I want to change my tank over to Lake Mowlowi Ciclids asap as I find the Community fish quite boring now

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi Guys,

The idea of a tropical fish board is appealing except I don't know if there are too many fishkeepers about.

I have a 3 ft tank which has seen a variety of residents over the past ten years. Started as a community tank - tetra's, mollies, guppies and a sucker (not sure of the correct term).

I then started to experiment - I found "jumping frogs", actual frogs which live on the bottom and jump to the top every so often - forget where they came from.

I've had big yellow loaches which reached 5 ins before dying, gourami's, angel fish, barbs and silver sharks.

In the past year I've had two oscars and a tin foil barb. I have just got rid of them - the oscars were 7 ins and the barb 5 ins.

I am currently restocking with tetra's and guppies. I have bred guppies before, they are easy.

I get my fish from Kilkenny Aquatics - they have a huge selection but expensive - located a few miles from Kilkenny on the Carlow road. They have a website www.kilkennyaquatics.ie

I also keep a small pond with a variety of coldwater fish - mostly goldfish - they breed each year.

So this is my set up. Any developments with a special board you can count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Like the idea about a forum too...

FISH FX has a deadly selection of fish,
    based just off the dart in Dun Laoghaire,
    They have a website too but it's not entirely finished
    fishfx.net

Lovely selection of Cichlids, some huge bala sharks,
    (and stuff i'd never seen before)
    plants and are really decent guys

definitely worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Also think that the forum would be a great idea.

I have 2 tanks

1:
    10 gallon
    1 Marble Angel
    1 Penguin Tetra
    2 Harlequins
    5 Zebra Danios
    1 Plec
    1 Catfish
    4 Orange Guys (found out they are wagtailed platys)
    1 Other one I can't remember!!!
    Added 2 sucking loaches today (23rd August)

2:
    40 gallon bow front
    4 Angels (Large)
    4 Tinfoil Barbs (about 2-2.5" long)
    1 Silver Dollar (quite big and growing every day)
    2 Red Dwarf Gourami
    2 Blue Dwarf Gourami
    1 Plec (about 5-6" long)
    Added 2 gorgeous red parrots today (23rd August)

Hi Guys,

Anyone having trouble with aquarium heaters over the past few weeks?

I've got mine set as low as possible. I think at around 72 degrees, but my thermomenters are showing it off the top of the scale. I've had to turn it off for days at a time.

Is it the hot weather or have I a problem heater?

I think we should get out Tropical Fish forum moving. Anyone know how?

I keep a pond and colwater fish as well. Is this for a different forum or should it be included?

I haven't had that problem myself but I have come across it in other forums. Think it depends on the size of your tank and where it's located in warm weather.

This is quite a good forum even though it's in the UK. Pity we don't have one here

You could have a problem with the heater as the element should only come on when the tank temp drops below a predetermined level (which you set).

• Advertisement

I have Noticed with all my tanks that they are getting over run with algae at the moment because of the hot Weather and the direct Sunlight

But what type of Thermometer do you have is it inside the tank or outside,

Because if its outside the tank it could be taking a reading of the room temp as apposed to the water temp,

Do you know by touch of hand the temp of your water,

As turing it up and down to much can cause white spot (ich) on your fish and you dont need that.

and a tropical Fish Forum is a great idea

keep a pond and colwater fish as well. Is this for a different forum or should it be included?

I would presume to include all aquatic discussions in the same forum, hopefully it will happen.

Hey Guru,
    Have you got any plecos? they'll keep the algae down, save you scraping (a bit!)

I have a plec in my small tank as you'll see above but he is SO lazy, that I got the 2 loaches to clean my tank for me. The big plec is great at keeping the large tank clean.

Had a disaster the other night with some pellet food. Fed them in the dark and opened the wrong side of the lid!!!

When I got up the next morning, I could hardly even see the fish, so a couple of emergency water changes later, I managed to get the nitrites right down and good oxygen again, but alas, my silver dollar must have fed himself silly and suffered from the low oxygen/high nitrite levels because he spent a day or so swimming sideways and upside down and he died yesterday.

It's a lesson to me to turn on the light in future when I'm feeding them last thing at night.
    :(:(

Have you got any plecos? they'll keep the algae down, save you scraping (a bit!)QUOTE]

Yeah I have it just growing at a high rate on the Front of the Small tank i have in the bedroom all the others are fine.

I have 1 Sailfin in there with 3 flowerhorns. I had others but the FH's are vicous also 2 Kribs that where going to breed had to take them out before the became fish fodder.

Also I will get on to the Admins about setting up a Tropical Fish forum

Declan

see Here

Click on the thread and show you support and we may get a forum

Hi Guys,

Seems to be some resistance to a Tropical Fish forum, but you got my support.

Back in my revamped tank my guppies are reproducing and helping to stock it up a bit. i had recently switched from Oscars + Tiger Barbs to a community tank (again). I've not got guppies and a few Harlequins, and a few golden sucking loaches. The loaches are good at keeping the algae down.

Another item I found for cleaning algae off the inside glass is a small square blue thing, like a brillo pad, got it in a fish shop, and it works well, just rinse when finished.

My heater seems to be overheating. I just turn it off every second day and the temp seems to stay constant - better replace it. The thermometers are inside and outside.

My pond fish have been reproducing as well. A selection of goldfish, shubunkins, and one seven inch orfe who doesn't bother the rest. I had two, but I think there is a Heron visitiing at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by whiteshadow
    Like the idea about a forum too...

FISH FX has a deadly selection of fish,
    based just off the dart in Dun Laoghaire,
    They have a website too but it's not entirely finished
    fishfx.net

Lovely selection of Cichlids, some huge bala sharks,
    (and stuff i'd never seen before)
    plants and are really decent guys

definitely worth a look

Agreed it is a great shop they ordered in my piranhna's for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

good program on the amazon last night with loads of pirahna and hatchet fish in it.. loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I've an interest, having kept a small tank(a little over 2ft, your standard tank). For the past four years. I enjoy keeping gouramis most, and have tried my hand at about anything really.

any news on the forum yet?

• Advertisement

None as of yet I think its a lose at this stage but we can always use this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

used the link to put forward my vote of confidenec for the new forum,
    I am a proud goldfish owner with a 70 litre tank I hope I will not be excluded as I need advice recently had a disaster where my other two goldfish died !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Feel free to continue posting here guys, we're not booming with traffic anyway :)

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    used the link to put forward my vote of confidenec for the new forum,
    I am a proud goldfish owner with a 70 litre tank I hope I will not be excluded as I need advice recently had a disaster where my other two goldfish died !

How did they die

How often are you cleaning out the tank as goldfish produce a lot of nitrate and need to be changed a lot

Originally posted by vasch_ro
    where my other two goldfish died !
    Same here my piranhna ate them LOL.:D :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NJ

Have ye tried www.irishfishkeepers.com its a very good forum tropical cold water ponds etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I have a fluval 260 tank with a fluval 205 external filter system.
    2 oscars
    2 parrot fish
    1 golden severum
    1 red tail shark
    2 pleco
    1 large cat fish
    2 clown loaches
    2 gourami
    1 kissing gourami
    2 angels
    1 upside down ? i forgot the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

There is already a major Irish forum.

www.irishfishforum.com

It's the forum for the Leinster Fish Keeping Society, Its a fun , laid back site that caters for beginners to expert, Goldfish to Marine.

I'm a mod on the site so if you have any questions or queries send me a pm.

We have monthly meetings also in O'Toole's GAA Club in Dublin 13, check out the site for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

I was very surprised to see that there are a lot of fishkeepers around Ireland. There also are another few clubs around the country. In addition to the one quoted in the post above, there is the Irish Tropical Fishkeeping Society (ITFS) which is based in Dublin. In Galway, the Connaught Fish Keeping Society (CFKS) also meets monthly. In Cork, you have the Munster Fish Keeping Association.
    If you have any questions, you can either visit the www.irishfishkeepers.com or send me a PM.
    Regards,
    Valerie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Or here based on northside Dublin
    www.irishfishforum
    great craic and loads of advice,swaps and a discount in many petshops

Advertisement