Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there tropical Fish keepers here

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I wouldn't worry to much about the names
    In my opnion more people would look after their fish instead of flusing them down the bog if they were called names that were easy to rember.

I'm probably reading it wrong, but that sounds like a contradiction? .:confused:

Rory123 wrote: »
    Here's a pic of my pleco that I just snapped. He's about 6 inches long and he's my favourite fish as I've had him since I got the tank and he has a great character. He's the only fish I have who has earned a name, we call him Big Fish! :D If he got much bigger I would rather bite the bullet and get a new larger tank rather than get rid of him.

Believe it or not he could grow to 20".... but 12 - 14" is more likely. His lifespan is around 10 years.

So look after him and he'll be giving you enjoyment for quite awhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Yeah there's one in quite a miserable looking tank up in Funtasia in Bettystown identical to mine but it's about 2 feet long.

The shop I go to is Aquarium Solutions in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. It's a small shop but it's packed with fish and supplies. They stock lots of marine fish too. Due to the size of the shop they don't stock a huge selection of tanks but I'm sure they could order-in. The lads in there are sound and they are really into their fish. I think they get stock in on Thursdays, so it's best to visit on a weekend. They always round the price down if you buy a lot or when they get to know your face. Couldn't say a bad word about them. Well worth a visit.

Although I get my plants in Equipet in Ashbourne as they have a bigger selection of plants and they look a bit healthier(have found 1 or 2 small snails recently though, inevitable I suppose :mad:). They are also just over €1 cheaper each. But the plants in Aquarium Solutions are ok.

One other place I'd recommend is Paws and Claws in Dunsaughlin. Paddy and his employees are dead on and very knowledgable. Dunsaughlin's just a bit far for me to travel to these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I just think kid's that get there first tank would more likley stay with the hobby and look after the fish if they were all named angel fish,guppys,catfish,nemos,seahorse etc.You don't see many people going into a petshop and saying look at that Liposarcus multiradiatus.When they ask what kind of fish is that the shopkeeper will say a pleco or sucker fish it easy to rember.Some people i am sure won't ask for help when something is wrong because they only know the common name.I have been in shops were people will say I think there is something wrong with my pleco and the first reply by the shop assisant is what kind of pleco is it.People won't join clubs because they don't know all the scientific names (I know of a few people)but they don't need to.That's all i'm saying
    I am not disagreeing with you just my 2 cent's.
    ps: It's great to talk to people that really care for their fish and not leave them sitiing a bowl as ornament's.

• Advertisement

I can see the pros and cons on both sides of this case. Knowing the proper Latin names of animals is important but I also think a couple of years ago a 2 year old child in a petshop wouldn't have rejoiced in delight shouting "AMPHIPRION PERCULA!! AMPHIPRION PERCULA!!" Now they would identify with it, even though they'd probably call it a "Meemow feeshie"! :D

The more interest people have in fish, they are more likely to keep fish... Which makes the world a better place in my eyes. I always found Latin names a bit intimidating. Not knowing the proper species or Latin name of a fish doesn't make it any less beautiful or interesting... The important thing is to look after it to the best of your abilities and enjoy it.

But I really think it is handy to have a reference book in case one needs to come online, for example, to ask for advice on a sick fish. This definately avoids confusion!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Duzzie wrote: »
    Seeing as this thread has been resurected, i'll add my tuppence.

I have 6 tanks on the go

1 x 450L Discus Tank (Red Tourqs and Leopards)
    1 x 100L Commumity (Red rainbow, dwarf pencils, cardinals, pristellas etc)
    2 x 70L Ancistrus breeding tanks ( 1 Temenki and 1 Black Eyed Lemons)
    1 x 30L Betta
    1 x 70L Brackish (GSPs and Bumblebee Gobbies)
    crikey! 6 tanks wow!Youre certainally a fish keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Alan Ford wrote: »
    crikey! 6 tanks wow!Youre certainally a fish keeper.
    I wouldn,t be without any of my pets Alan.

I just think kid's that get there first tank would more likley stay with the hobby and look after the fish if they were all named angel fish,guppys,catfish,nemos,seahorse etc.

When I mentioned the scientific names I hadn't children in mind.
    You don't see many people going into a petshop and saying look at that Liposarcus multiradiatus.

Ever hear anyone in a petshop talking about Rift Lake cichlids?

I doubt if I need to spell out why knowing at least some scientific names is useful.... I never said it was compulsory.
    Some people i am sure won't ask for help when something is wrong because they only know the common name.

Never met anyone like that.

People have been asking for assistance and advice for years without knowing the scientific names of fishes.

I'm wondering where you're getting these ideas.... or why.
    I have been in shops were people will say I think there is something wrong with my pleco and the first reply by the shop assisant is what kind of pleco is it.

You've just proven my point about the usefulness of knowing the scientific names.
    People won't join clubs because they don't know all the scientific names (I know of a few people)but they don't need to.

Where did you get that idea from? I've been involved in running clubs for years. I've been involved in running All Ireland Open Shows and not once have I come across anyone who wouldn't join a club for the reason you mention.

People join clubs to learn about their hobby and to get to know other aquarists. At club meetings the only one(s) that need to know scentific names for fishes are the judges for the table shows.

I think something I said in a simple way as a form of advice is being blown out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

Currently a 450L malawi cichlid aquarium - really it's cat TV!

• Advertisement

Currently a 450L malawi cichlid aquarium - really it's cat TV!

Ha ha! I know a couple who have a big tank for themselves and then a small tank of about 60L which they claim is just for the cat to watch. Amazingly the cat never touches the tank, just sits infront of it all day watching it! It's just a few inches off the floor so the cat can see all the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Rashers wrote: »
    When I mentioned the scientific names I hadn't children in mind.

Ever hear anyone in a petshop talking about Rift Lake cichlids?

I doubt if I need to spell out why knowing at least some scientific names is useful.... I never said it was compulsory.

Never met anyone like that.

People have been asking for assistance and advice for years without knowing the scientific names of fishes.

I'm wondering where you're getting these ideas.... or why.

You've just proven my point about the usefulness of knowing the scientific names.

Where did you get that idea from? I've been involved in running clubs for years. I've been involved in running All Ireland Open Shows and not once have I come across anyone who wouldn't join a club for the reason you mention.

People join clubs to learn about their hobby and to get to know other aquarists. At club meetings the only one(s) that need to know scentific names for fishes are the judges for the table shows.

I think something I said in a simple way as a form of advice is being blown out of proportion.

Rasher relax were on the same side I was saying to rory in my opinion I don't think scientific names are a necessity.I know you didn't say they were I was just giving my opnion thats all sorry if it came across as having a dig at you or something.
    Quoting and requoting me will not change my mind we are all entitled to an opinion.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Chitterchatter

Ha ha! I know a couple who have a big tank for themselves and then a small tank of about 60L which they claim is just for the cat to watch. Amazingly the cat never touches the tank, just sits infront of it all day watching it! It's just a few inches off the floor so the cat can see all the action.

:D Its so true!! Happy cats lead to a happy home.... and the fish are entertainment. Mental stimulation for them! Plus I much prefer to watch the fish than the tv.

Rasher relax

I'm one of the most laid back people you could meet.
    I was just giving my opnion thats all sorry if it came across as having a dig at you or something.
    Quoting and requoting me will not change my mind we are all entitled to an opinion.:)

It didn't come across to me as if you were having a dig at me. My use of quotes was (is) just my way of discussing a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Thanks... the rabbit was a compromise. My girlfriend wanted a dog but I knew it would be a mistake so I let her get the rabbit instead. When we move to somewhere bigger with a garden and if we will be at home more we'll get a mini dachshund or Jack Russel or a rescue dog. If money, time, excercise, maintenance etc was no object I'd have a weimaraner.
    But anyway... that's a subject for a different thread.

Here's a pic of my pleco that I just snapped. He's about 6 inches long and he's my favourite fish as I've had him since I got the tank and he has a great character. He's the only fish I have who has earned a name, we call him Big Fish! :D If he got much bigger I would rather bite the bullet and get a new larger tank rather than get rid of him.

Oh dear it's Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps, A real monstor Pleco, can reach 22 inches, looks like your gonna have to get a bigger tank one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

I currently keep 10 tanks with an 11th on the way soon:

5 foot tank 20 African Cichlids - Malawi Biotope
    4 foot tank 3 breeding A. Lacfasciata
    300 Litre tank, 3 Female and one Male breeding group of Frontosa
    2 x 80 Litre tanks for raising fry
    4 foot tank with stand south American Dwarfs, Blackwater Biotope
    4 foor tank - Livebearers and Tetra (For the Girlfriend...)
    3 foot tank With breeding Bristlenose
    3 foot tank soon to be breeding Apistogramma Macmasteri
    3 foot tank full of Juvinile Metriaclima estherae

Coming soon, 200 Gallon tank with 1 Electric Blue Archocentrus octofasciatus, 1 Aequidens Rivulatus, And 1 Scarlet Cactus Pleco.. haven't worked out the rest yet.

Hey Rasher you remind me of myself with your fishkeeping advice, I too prefer Geographically themed aquaria.

Jimkel wrote: »
    Apistogramma Macmasteri

Beautiful fish. Here's one showing nicely.

Hey Rasher you remind me of myself with your fishkeeping advice, I too prefer Geographically themed aquaria.

I think they look more natural. Better that way for water conditions too.... leading to healthy fish.

Jimkel wrote: »
    Oh dear it's Glyptoperichthys Gibbiceps, A real monstor Pleco, can reach 22 inches, looks like your gonna have to get a bigger tank one day.

... He prefers to be called Big Fish if you don't mind!!! :p He'll get a new tank when he needs one... He's our favourite. Didn't know it was possible to get attached to a fish! :)

Advertisement