Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN + Windows 2000

• 09-05-2003 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have two Pc's in the office and one has an ISDN connection. I want to use this connection to get on the Internet with the other PC as well. Will it be possible to have both machines connected at the same time? I am using Windows 2000 Professional on both machines and would like to know how to do this. They are both networked together and in Internet Explorer it is set up to auto detect network settings.

Also I want to set up some sort of e-mail server so that one e-mail address can be used from multiple machines, is this possible?

Thanx in advance for all the help.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Please guys, someone must be able to help me? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Internet connection sharing should do teh job for you, if you fire up windows help a wizard will help you set it up, as for mail server, there is endless possibilities, give us an idea of current setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

On the machine with the isdn adapter ( we'll call this the server ), if you go to the properties for the connection, enable internet connection sharing. This will take a few seconds, and the ip address of the machine will be set to 192.168.0.1 automatically.

On the other machine (the client ), change the network settings to automatically get an ip ( dhcp ). It should work perfectly, if you have any problems try manual setup:

set the ip on the client machine to 192.168.0.x where x is between 2 and 255,
    default gateway should be 192.168.0.1.
    Set the dns servers to the dns servers of your isp. You can find this out by typing ipconfig /all on the server machine when it is connected to the net. I don't think you need an email server, when you have internet connection sharing up and running you can access the same account from outlook on either machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Thanx guys for all the help :) Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Where there is a will there is a relative !!

When you get the ICS working you may want to check out this invaluable utility. Here.
    Also I want to set up some sort of e-mail server so that one e-mail address can be used from multiple machines, is this possible?
    What do you want to do with your email? It is possible to get and send mail to and from both PC's without a mail-server setup.

Just setup the same mail account on both PC's and set options to leave mail on ISP's server.

Cal

• Advertisement
Advertisement