Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend?

• 09-05-2003 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

In a typical week at college (7 days that is) how much do you spend in total? Not including rent, that's a seperate issue. My father is fairly generous by all accounts, but lately through reasons unknown (except for a couple of bookie related incidents) I find myself living just within my means. I'm not poverty stricken by any means, but I had got used to having a nice little stash of money to call upon when I wanted to buy anything/go on the total píss, and now I find it is gone. And lets face it, if you really go on the beer in Ireland then you could demolish your whole weeks fund. I have difficulty answering the question myself, as the issue of exactly how much I need has never really arose, and the frequency in which the old man enters money into my account varies and fluctuates..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I usually would spend 20 squid on a night out during the week or forty at weekends. Usually got out 2 times. Once during week (excluding wednesday, thats work) and once at weekend. That sets me back €60 which leaves €50 for other stuff so about €110 on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Not including nights out.. I'd need about €50/week for food/travel etc..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

€20 usually gets me by.

No travel costs, eat in college maybe 2-3 times a week, spend the rest in the offy or keep it for the following week.

don't go to the pub very often, never go to shiteclubs. sorry, nightclubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You live at home kaids?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yep, half hour walk from UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Depends on the week. Student bus ticket really is a life saver. Normally bring lunch but often end up in college til 8 or so dependin on how much work to do. I can easily spend €10 a day on food(I'm a big guy).
    I can live on 50 - 60 a week though. No drink in that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

about €70 a week:
    student bus ticket - €14.50,
    call cr €10-15,
    lunches+sweets(i love chocolate) - €20-30
    rest goes when I meet up with my boyfriend!

€70 is a very optimistic guess...some weeks it could be above €100 and I don't know how it goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lunch in college 5 days a week: €20 (€4 per day)
    Stocking the fridge: €40 (2x€20 trips or one €40 trip) on milk, bread, pasta, sauce etc.
    Dinner/Lunch in work: €30 (3 nights a week, feckin Spar is a ripoff).
    Petrol: €12

Going out costs range hugely, depending on whether I drink beforehand or not. €40 is usually the minimum tho. I never go to/pay in to nightclubs. Ever. Why should I? :)

There's obviously other costs thrown in there too (the odd trip to Pizza Hut, the odd takeaway, the odd second night out during a week, etc), but that's the bare minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bout €70, i reckon you'll spend wat u have, unless u make a deliberate effort to save, you end up cutting your cloth to fit, it goes on nothing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Im in UL by the way, i dont think anyone else mentioned where they were, but im assuming Dublin

If i go home at the weekend:
    Bus home €16 return
    Lunch €5.50-€6.50 per day (monday-friday, eating generally in the pub)
    Food for dinner in the evening: €30-45
    if i go to the pub, €20 for the Stables, add another 20-40 for niteclub (****eclub, i like that one)
    It aint bloody cheap.

If i stay down:
    add two more days to the lunch thingie
    €60 of food to last two weeks (usually two weeks anyway)
    If im staying down, will usually go for a few pints on Saturday, spending about €30, dont go to town, i dont own an Uzi you see

Thats about it, but it can vary, some weeks i might only spend 20bucks, others i spend a packet, plus theres all those times every bloody bill in the world comes at once (oh the benefits of living at home), just after you've been on a major bender. Oh, and €20 credit does me a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

around 95e depending if ive been home that weekend or no......

also in ul around 50e worth of tesco's home brand lasts two weeks(thats including 6 litres of white lemonade for 96c, its pure shiit but it does the job)

That leaves around 30e for drink, i only go to the pub maybe once a week, usually its cans and a vid or a multiplayer game. Clubs in limerick are shiit, except dolans every so often, and know i hear that the soul clinic has finished there too so thats fukked.......

Not all that goes on food and drink i smoke too so thats where the majority of my money goes but im not gonna be arsed workin that out..............

almost forgot 16e to come up to and go home from limerick every weekend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jumpingjack

ummmm?

20 quid on petrol, i do alot of cruising on my bike,,,
    40 quid on beer+ wine...
    30 quid on food....
    15 quid on credit....

i think thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

70 - 100 euro here, with the biggest single expense going on bus ticket (30 euro). Big range, yes, depends on if I was starving myself at college or not or if there were any nights out. ;) In WIT here, waste 2 - 3 hours per day on the bus to and from college, though then it's cheaper than getting a room, so I put up with it. :) Parents give me money for bus and some for the week, though most weeks I find myself heading to the ATM. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can get by on 50 euros a week, excluding drink, but I don't go out on the piss much anyway. Carlow IT here.

I drive a bike so there's no paying for bus tickets, costs about a fiver a week in petrol. (Though when the ol insurance premium comes i'll be looking at about 550 euros - thank **** i have 4 years no claims.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

100 euro, the last 50 or so on non-essentials such as books, computer games etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

€70 - €100 here

I dont spend much at all, apart from having to eat out due to work.

work 5 days a week and since im a lazy git i rarely get to make myself dinner/whatever before heading off to work.

Never go out, since im working when everythings on.

gotta try and save after chrimbo though so i have cash for getting away somewhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

€50 incl €15 for a return ticket home from UL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

id spend just over €60 a week id say. I don't drink so that saves me quite a bit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Probably about €60 per week, including a night out. If I'm going home I'd have to add another €20 to that amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i live at home and cycle to college so the only thing i'd spend money on is food in college, but im only in college two days a week after lunchtime and even at that i'd often go without buying lunch.
    i could get away with a fiver.
    add another fiver for various bus trips
    thirty if im heading out.
    im a thrifty living kinda person, so i've now ****loads of money for christmas pressies after all the monies i've been earning recently
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

surviving on 10 euro a week...fair play to you!
    This year I'm living on around 40 euro a week and really proud of myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Liesia

Travel including bus to college and home at weekends e50
    Food e30
    Credit e15
    Nightout e40
    Plus all little things taxi home from work, coffee etc. e20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

jesus ye seem to be all excellant with money. I am given an allowance of 110 euro a week and to be honest with ye, if I am not flat out studying for exams I find it a struggle if you want to eat lunch in coll every day, have a few drinks, go to cinema, not to mention the cost of photo copying and printing and various handouts I have to buy..but then again I was always crap with money!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭lukeUCD

ye jesus im about a 100 euro man myself, think my biggest probs is when i go out drinkin its so exspensive even more so when you have to get a taxi

Advertisement