Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky overcharging by 10%

• 09-05-2003 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

since sterling has dropped from 63p to the euro to 71p shouldnt we have seen a similar reduction in subscription price from sky. no chance i bet but whats the bet theyll increase it still furtther in sept as they do most years. think of what extra they get from their 277,000 irish subs every month. they must be laughing all the way to the bank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

We are being overcharged anywayfor loads of channels we don't want and then an extra 10%:mad: But you know sky, they won't do anything that effects their profit margin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skydigiman

My God your right ! €60 is almost equal to £43 thats £5 more then UK subscribers pay.

And the Yoeo is getting stronger by the week , who knows what it will worth come this september , something for sky to look at .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I think we should all mail sky@bskyb.com about this. After all one time when they increased the irish sub. they said it was because of 2 things:
    1. BBC1 &2 being added to the Irish EPG (fair enough)
    2. Because the value of Irish currency against sterling had dropped.
    Why do they compare currency with their UK service. Because after all they try to say that they treat their UK and Irish services as 2 different platforms. Bunch of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

I clearly remember getting a letter with the Sky magazine saying they couldn't keep the price constant because of the fall in value in the Euro, which was about stg£0.62 then. It's now nudging stg£0.72, and surprise surprise, no reduction.

Anyway, with TV license gone up to €150, wheelie-bin charges an astonishing €390 (up from €170 per annum), it's just another example of rip-off Ireland, and what a bunch of mugs we all are for lying down and taking it.

It would be cheaper to live in the South of France these days.

I posted this in another thread , but it's relevant here:
    I understand that $ky are getting up to ten percent more now from their Irish subscribers, than they were at the start of the year.But when the Euro was first created and the domestic currencies within the Euro area fixed to it, the €uro was at 72p sterling.
    so that effectively means that, Sky were subsidising ROI subscribers to an extent , as the Euro continued to fall.

However When they decided to charge their ROI customers in Euro, for the first time last january 12 months,the € was only 62p sterling, and at that point they factored that rate into their charge for their ROI customers.
    So since then, they have pocketed all the rise in the value of the Euro and currently , if theres circa 300,000 subscribers that equates to a windfall of £30,000 per month or £360,000 per year.
    Convert that back to Euro at the change over rate of 62p in january 2002 and , Sky are making a windfall in excess of €40,000 per month compared to 18 months ago, from their Irish customers.
    Analyists expect, the Euro to reach 75p sometime soon and continue to rise towards the end of the year, meaning a further windfall.
    The dollar is also falling so, they cannot say, OH...,but we have to pay more for our U.S programmes.
    they will have to pay extra of course for European based programmes and technical services.
    But on balance, I think they are still on a major winner.

Not very customer friendly... :(
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Originally posted by Leesider
    It would be cheaper to live in the South of France these days.

Yeah! and we'd get better weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

On the subject of Sky prices ,here's an interesting situation.
    I have Skysports World. Price is €49 p.m. I was thinking of downgrading for 3 months(€19 package)But got a leaflet in the
    NOTW today and it said cheapest Sky world package was €57 pm. That obviously means if I cancelled I'd have to reconnect at this higher price which will probably be €62 by September and the old 49 price would have gone up to say €53-54 pm. You're caught whichever way you go!!!

Basically,they kinda reward loyalty but screw you all the way if you dare to leave!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Sky announced their 3/4 results today. I can't remember the exact figure but profits are up two fold
    I wonder how that can be:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sky profits are up, but I expect this has a lot to do with an 'ageing' digibox base - in other words when you get your first subsidised dish and box, Sky have to wait for a certain period to recoup their subsidy (it mightn't necessarily be 12 months). Then after that point the amount of revenue from your sub that goes 'straight to profit' increases. The more customers using older boxes, the more profits Sky will see. As Sky are now seeing the benefit of heavy promotions 2-3 years ago, I think they are entitled to their profits.

However, I do not agree that they are not entitled to additional revenue on the basis of an exchange rate, imho. The rate has been high for some 5-6 months now and analysts predict that this situation will persist for the foreseeable future. The time has come for Sky to adjust their rates for ROI.

Advertisement