Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford

Options
  • 09-05-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've heard a rumour that the Longford commuter services will go when IE builds the new sheds at Mullingar...

Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

I keep hearing about this new depot at Mullingar, but so far just talk. Mind you, I noticed a large number of concrete sleepers have been delivered to Mulligar and stored on the site of the old bay Platform 1. I assumed that these were for the Moate branch re-lay which seems to be part of some some development plan for running the Galway train back to it's traditional route via Mullingar and Athlone.

I passed though mullingar again this morning and somthing is going on alright. The inspection car is parked there in the old Irish Cement yard. I also heard the weed-spray train is visiting the Moate branch this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The inspection and track laying kit has been based for most of the last few years in Mullingar as part of the relay on the Sligo line. The concrete sleepers are for Mullingar station, as and when time allows. The Moate line would need at least a few years work and bucket loads of money before it could be used, so don't expect anything soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭sligoliner

>The Moate line would need at least a few years work and >bucket loads of money before it could be used, so don't expect >anything soon.

It could be relayed in a few months. This happens all over the world. Next time you are in Mulligar station, look at the chairs which the rail is sitting on and notice the date 1947. That how long properly maintain track can last. CWR is top of the line but it dosen't mean that traditional jointed track is unsafe or obsolete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The track is bad in a number of places, but there's also issues with signaling, stations, fencing and particularly level crossings. In the real world it probably could be done in less than a year, but this is CIE your dealing with.

Advertisement