Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection speeds over Vodafones HSCSD service

• 10-05-2003 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Just curious if anyone else is using the HSCSD service and what connection speed you're at? Although my sim is enabled I seem to be getting no higher than 9600 which is alot slower than connecting via GPRS. Also, just curious if the HSCSD call is covered by inclusive minutes? Vodafones website doesn't mention this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

HSCSD calls hould be included in yor minutes assuming the number you are calling is valid on your package. The Vodfone Mobile ISP number, 087 620 2222, is not included in your minutes regardless of the package your on. Normal lanline numbers should be ok however, some ISP's specifically use 1892 (something like that) which are not included either.

I done these tests for Vodafone myself.. hope these help:

The next set of tests was performed to determine how fast HSCSD was actually downloading data from the Internet. These tests performed on a single file that is 1.66mb is size. This equates to 1,753kb. This test was performed multiple times during different time periods to identify any differences in Connection Speeds during peak and off-peak periods.

No. Time Time Elapsed Download Connection Modem
    1 21:41 9min 01sec 3.24kbps 25,922bps 43.2kbps
    2 22.37 8min 15sec 3.50kbps 28,040bps 43.2kbps
    3 13:57 7mins 38sec 3.82kbps 30,620bps 43.2kbps

As a once off I also downloaded Vodafone’s new Connect Me software. This file is 5.83mb in size.

4 14.20 27mins 0sec 3.68kbps 29,511bps 43.2kbps

For arguments sake I reduced the maximum speed of the modem to 2 lower settings, here are the results of that test.

5 21:41 9min 58sec 2.93kbps 23,922bps 28.8kbps
    6 22.37 19min 40sec 1.48kbps 11,882bps 14.4kbps

These tests show that the 3 communication channels are not always available, test 1 and 6 show this quite clearly. The table formatting may be off a bit!!

Overall for web browising HSCSD is better than GPRS, it is consistently faster and cheaper!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Just wondering what phone you used and what call settings you used (e.g. isdn v110) ive never got vodafone past 38.6 kbps, getting up to 43.2kbps would be spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    HSCSD calls hould be included in yor minutes assuming the number you are calling is valid on your package. The Vodfone Mobile ISP number, 087 620 2222, is not included in your minutes regardless of the package your on.

It has always been included in my minutes, regardless of the package I'm on (Light, Active, or Extra). :confused: In fact I use most of my monthly minutes on the Vodafone ISP no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Just wondering what phone you used and what call settings you used (e.g. isdn v110) ive never got vodafone past 38.6 kbps, getting up to 43.2kbps would be spot on.

I'm using a Nokia 6310i on normal modem which connecting at 28.8 now compared with the 9600 earlier. It refuses point blank to dial in using the ISDN setting on Vodafones Connect me software which I'll have a look into in more detail shortly (Battery's gone flat on d phone and powers out here!).

And if it's included on my inclusive minutes it'll become my new best friend which'll add about 200 minutes of access :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the Vodafone Mobile ISP 0876202222 is included as part of your inclusive minutes, it can't be included as your Friends for Free (although some people have posted they managed to have it set up :cool:)

connnecting over V.120 ISDN with a Nokia Handset on Vodafone could push up to 42.3kbits/s

however, using the Vodafone Mobile ISP you can only connect over V.110 ISDN so the max connection you can push is 38.4 kbits/s

mainly because of the way the Nokia HSCSD Modem config tool works, even if it is set it to V.110 the slider still reads 43.2 - although it only connects at 38.4 - so people believe the software tool

using a (Sony)Ericsson handset you will get a max 28.8 kbits/s connection over HSCSD

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

the Vodafone Mobile ISP 0876202222 is included as part of your inclusive minutes, it can't be included as your Friends for Free (although some people have posted they managed to have it set up )

Thats a shame, cos i think i only ever use 5 or 10 mins of the phone a friend option a month!

Connecting at 38.4 now, but only getting xfer rates of 33'ish, but can't really complain cos it beats the hell outta the 9600 i got on me Motorola!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its virtually impossible to get 43.2 out of the service. As you probably know, the phone effectively makes 3 seperate calls at the one time, i.e. 3 * 14.4kbps. There are so many factors that determine what connection speed you get, sometimes you may only get 1 channel at 9.6 or you may get 3 channels at 9.6, it depends on the capacity of a cell and the amount of traffic within the cell at any one time.

There is also a prob with Windows XP which prevents the dial up networking status showing a connection rate higer than 28,000 bps, even if it has connected at a higher rate.

Advertisement