Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Force

• 10-05-2003 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Up to about 2-3 years ago i worked out almost every second day, weight lifting and soccer. My biggest regret is falling out of this routine. I keep meaning to go back to it again but when i start, after a week i stop again or miss days and let it slide.

So what do you do to keep going ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Perhaps you're training too much, Frugu, seeing as you tend to stop after a week?

Adequate rest is just as important.

Used to weight-train fairly regular, got bored with that (self-imposed regimental) style of exercise - I do bodyweight exercises now (e.g. pull/chin-ups, pressups, hindu squats, skipping, etc), which I much prefer, it fit's better with my goals, but much more importantly - I enjoy doing it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

What you need to do before you start training is carry out a needs assessment. Decide what it is you hope to achieve within a certain period, whether it be an increase in your one rep max or an increase in your estimated VO2 max as measured in a multistage fitness test (bleep test)

Test yourself before you begin so that you have something to build on then after say eight weeks test yourself again. This will give you a date to aim for and also it will give you reasonable goals.

I could go into the procedures for retesting but there's no point worrying about them till you've assessed your needs and begun the training programme.

Hope that helps

AmZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Amz, that multi stage bleep test, don't suppose you know where I could borrow a copy of it?

Darn I posted a thread about that a while back but never followed up on it (damn procrastination) I'm hoping to borrow a copy of it from a PE teacher I know or perhaps copy the one from college. If I get one you're welcome to borrow it.

Although you may be better off trying to get your own copy knowing my success at following up on things like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Originally posted by Magic Monkey
    Perhaps you're training too much, Frugu, seeing as you tend to stop after a week?

Laughed my ass of at that lol
    No ya see im trying to get back into it, but i walk over to the weights and i just cant be bothered, or try for a few minutes and stop cos i get bored or whatever, so what i was wondering is what do you tell yourself to keep going or do you play certain music or something.
    Serious lack determination which is something i never had a problem with before.
    Also amz if ya have a source for that bleep test can ya hook me up ;)

• Advertisement

Will indeed!

You really need to just set goals for yourself otherwise you wont feel that you're working towards anything.

Otherwise you could get a Ranier Wolfcastle type figure to stand above you and shout slogans at you while you work out!

You really need to just set goals for yourself otherwise you wont feel that you're working towards anything.

Yeah thats why we want a copy of the bleep test so we can keep track of our VO2 max!! Come on Amz, sort us out!! Or at least give the lads in the gym a copy and then I can get it off them!

Right on Thursday I'll try and get my hands on a cppy. Can't today or tomorrow or any other day til after the 21st due to EXAMS! Have you tried Google to get your grubby lil' mits on a copy?

Yes, and the only ones you can get only go up to level 8 or so. :( If you could get a copy I'd really appreicate it.

I'll try my best tunney!

Not makin any promises though...

Forgot the googley ones only went to level 8. That'd be no use to any of us I think!

I'll get back to ye!

• Advertisement
Advertisement