Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing broadband on home network

Options
  • 10-05-2003 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

I'm hopefully getting Broadband in with Irishbroadband.com - the wireless dudes. Still waiting on my line of sight test but I'm hoping you can clarify a few things for me.

Are this crowd any good? It sounds pretty good, but I've never heard of anyone else that uses them. How do they compare to Eircom and NTL?

To share the connection I'm thinking I need a router, but a friend says a hub and internet sharing will do the trick? Personally I want to avoid that because I think a router improves network performance, and my long term solution is server, router(3 permanent pc's and hub into that) - another pc onto hub leaving a few ports for visiting laptop LAN gamers :D (I just need the money!)

Does that setup sound like it would work? Is there any pitfalls I need to look out for? I'm pretty new to this - most I've ever done before is 3 pc's on a hub with no internet sharing.

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 furlong

Killah

you are right to avoid Internet Connection Sharing it sucks.

I would do pretty much as you have described, see my reply to chowley's post to see what you will need if you want wifi as well. As I have stated there I always advisde keeping different functions on different boxes so that if one goes bang at least you have some sort of functionality left.

Depending on the router you have you may want to consider a firewall but most routers nowdays have at least some firewall capability built into them.

I don't know the details of IBBs offering but I am pretty certain this will work as you want it to.

HTH

Advertisement