Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography topics?

Options
  • 10-05-2003 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭

Ok Im starting to worry that I havent got enough done for Geography, also being on the same day as Maths doesnt help but I digress.....

Physical: (in order of most study?)
    Marine
    Rivers
    Glacial -hate this topic :/ but its just in case I get a rivers/glacial/marine question.

I dont have to do the physical topic in the exam if Im stuck because Im doing my fieldstudy so I have social Geography, the photo studied aswell.

Regional: (in no order)
    France-division into regions under the headings Primary/secondary and tertitary activities.
    Natural Resources for Norway.
    Role of the Sea for Norway and if I have to Spanish tourism.
    Core & peripheral Massif central and Paris Basin.
    Tourism in Spain and Switzerland.

Im hoping a France or Norway question comes up since France hasnt been up since 2000.
    Basically my teachers a joke and I've had to do this by myself. I got an A2 in the mocks but he was correcting and France came up.

Does anyone thing I should do an extra physical/regional question? Like italy?

P.s i really hope the Field study stays in the economic section :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

No! Shake-up in paper this year! Aerial and Field Study look set to jump into other sections! If you read the exambrief, it was hinted at! Also, when I was doing a revision course (before exambrief was published) the teacher said the same thing!

He also said to concentrate on Norway, Italy and Belgium. This place (Mill Street, Galway) is supposed to be very reliable when it comes to exams! I think most of the teachers are on exam commitees?

What I'm studying:

Ordnance Survey: Just going over past questions

Physical: Rivers (Has come up every year in a row until last year)

Social: Aerial Photo, going over past questions

Economic: Field Study

Regional: Norway, Italy, Belgium, Tourism, Core and Peripheral.

There's a book out now called "focus on geography" - get it! how to do all past questions! Has very good information that you can add on to your answers, eg. Patterns of settlement - how planners detest linear, etc. Very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just to inform you, and this is the same with every subject.
    The guy who makes the paper, has never, and will never say anything about the paper beforehand, because if he did he would be fired in a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Rivers has not come up every year except last year....

1 of the water questions has always come up though ie rivers/marine/glacial.

I can do Norway- role of the sea and natural resources.
    I've never looked at Belgium
    Im wondering if i should try and learn Italy?

Anyone think I've enough covered or should I study more?

P.S whats everyone's fieldstudy?
    Mine is 'The effect of September 11th on Tourism in Ireland', I did it myself and I think its pretty good and original.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Did everyone make their own fieldwork study? Our teacher just gave us one and told us to learn it. Its a bloody mess though and too hard to learn :(

I think most ppl learn theirs or do a class one, but my class is mostly a bunch of muppets so I did my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Maybe this link will be of help to some of you :

Leaving Cert Geography (Higher) - Past Paper Analysis

Also some good notes here :

Geography notes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

well heres what im doin, and im pretty sur itll cover me

physical: rivers + marine (the proceses r the same so nice n easy,, i also have glaciation as backup)

map reading: just doin past q's and learning off the discussion parts for route focus, services centre.

social: fieldwork (a study of marine erosion on the north mayo coastline)

regional (I HATE REGIONAL!) I got spain off 100% but if it doestn come up im hoping for scandinavia as a distinct region or importance of sea to economy of europe, then i do oil + gas for norway, fishing in norway and tourism in spain.

i thought i heard they werent gonna make ne major shake up to the layout cos the current course has only a year r two to go and they're not gonna risk nething....

The guy who makes the paper, has never, and will never say anything about the paper beforehand, because if he did he would be fired in a second.

Actually, once the papers are drawn up they are circulated around a commitee who check to ensure accuracy, fair marking scheme, etc.

Then, in February/March a team of people are shown the papers. These people then travel around the country holding conferences for teachers. The teachers can ask general questions (nothing specific about questions) and the speaker basically ensures that a student won't be screwed!

BTW: In between, printers get to see them! So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yes, but they all sign secrecy agreements and if theres even a hint that someone in the whole country has the paper, they'll switch to a backup

Bottom line is..nobody knows for sure what is coming up, they can only make educated guesses.

Btw lets keep this on topic :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I wouldn't mind being one of those printers' kids lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Sangre any chance of postin dat field study.. Our teacher wont do one wit us:/
    and is dat ok for a field study i thought u gotta talk bout rocks n stuff

also do italy.... if you have dat under your wing your sorted for an A1 by the looks of things..

cartman

btw how are ye breakin down yer study each day/night?

i would post it up but I'd have to type it all out so....no.

See if any of your friends have one or depending on where you live see if anyone has the institutue field studys.

Ill assume you mean general study..

When Im in school and school days I get the most study done. Every school day I study from 4 to 9.45 in the libraby with an hour break at 6.30 and two smaller 15 minutes breaks. Except on wednesday where I go to the library from 7-9.30 with a 10 minute break. On weekends I usually get my homeworks done and have only started studing recentely. I never do too much on weekends but I was quite pleased with Fri (no school) and Sat, but of coarse I didnt do anything today.

I find it really hard to sit down and study and can only go for long periods of time if Im doing Maths/ A.maths questions or studying something half interesting.

I highly recommend going to your local library everyday, try to get a parent to drive you there and pick you up at a certain time. Once you're there it'll be much easier to get down to study.
    But if you still have trouble studying for a lot just keep doing past papers, even if you half to have all the books open in front of you, once you have a set goal of doing one or two questions its much easier to get down to it........

Reading over this I look like a nerd :( but Im not really!Honest!

There's a book out now called "focus on geography" - get it! how to do all past questions! Has very good information that you can add on to your answers, eg. Patterns of settlement - how planners detest linear, etc. Very good!

Man I searched all of Dublin (literally) for this book. Nowhere had it and its out of print so can't even order it :(

Got a load of sample answers from a geography teacher in my dads school though so should be ok :)

Go to www.mentorbooks.ie. You'll find it under "Educational Books" ... "Leaving Certificate"... Only €8.99 online! Maybe you should ring them and tell them you need it straight away! The book is very good, our teacher stopped using the text book at the start of the year and swapped over to it! Everything in key points and what is in the book is 25% more than what you need in an exam answer (so it says)! So go get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Chief examiner mentioned he wasnt happy with people learning off essays and reproducing them so best off not relying totally on regional divisions.

Ty Shane but I don't think I'll bother. Less than 3 weeks to go, not much point. I've spent at least €70 on revision books this year and I'm broke atm :eek: I think the sheets I got were from that book anyway lol and he promised me more if I need.
    Chief examiner mentioned he wasnt happy with people learning off essays and reproducing them so best off not relying totally on regional divisions.

I'm using essays I have done myself over the year. They don't sound great and have no long words or magnificent insights so theres no way they are going to think its learnt off :D

Anyway I'm only doing regions if physical question is a bitch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Shane
    Go to www.mentorbooks.ie. You'll find it under "Educational Books" ... "Leaving Certificate"... Only €8.99 online! Maybe you should ring them and tell them you need it straight away! The book is very good, our teacher stopped using the text book at the start of the year and swapped over to it! Everything in key points and what is in the book is 25% more than what you need in an exam answer (so it says)! So go get it!

I've just been on that site and I also rang them and they are out of stock. Is there anywhere else that has this book? Or, is there any other Geography revision books with sample answers around? I am really crap at Geography and I need to do higher level.

Also, in the Photo Question you get asked to draw a scetch map of the photo, How do you do this?

Hope you can help!

I found this site that has "Focus on Geography" in stock. it took me ages to find it so here you are:

http://www.schoolboox.com/bookList.aspx?schoolID=242&classID=312

Celtic Tiger, I hope this helps you!

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger

Anyway I'm only doing regions if physical question is a bitch :)

You have to do the Regional question and the Ordenence survey question. Then you do 2 from Economic/Social/Physical

• Advertisement

Yeh your right, dunno why I thought you could leave it out :confused:

Not started studying geography yet anyway so no harm done :)

Btw ty for link eireboy but I don't have the money to spend atm :o

In the Photo Question you get asked to draw a sketch map of the photo, How do you do this?

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

First, you MUST get the scale right. One quarter of the original size, roughly 12 lines down.

Pick out five/six distinct features of the map, anything you mention in one of your answers must be drawn in as well. Something to do with industry, tourism, communications, commercial, residential, etc!

Try and locate them in the right place. Take a pencil and divide the photo into grids to help you.

Draw in main roads and rivers.

Your features can be either 3D or outline. If it is a vertical shot, you have to draw a line outline.

Use colours to contrast green areas, industrial areas, commercial, etc!

Quarter size? Dam thats small, we were always told to just half it :eek:

Suppose its less work if its quarter size :D

Half the length and half the width = quater the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

lads whats the best way to study the likes of geography and biology??
    write or read??

thanks ..

i dont think iv time to cover all my coiurses writing now so im just wondering..

I just received the book (Focus on Geography) today and I find it really helpful. I noticed that the fieldwork question is usually the same every year and he describes it very well in this book with everything you need, including results.

The thing is I never did a fieldwork project in school and I'm doing my leaving this year.

Would you recommend me doing this Question if I memorise all his work?

Definately. My fieldwork is photocopied out of some book (maybe Focus on geography). Learning it off can be a pain but once you have it thats 25% of your exam :)

What about the results? If the examiner notices that they are copied, would he deduct marks?

• Advertisement

Yep! I'm afraid so! It must be your own work! But don't fear! If you change it around a bit, change names and alter figures (not drastically or you may contradict yourself in the conclusions) you might be okay!

Advertisement