Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon- Voting for Broadband in Ireland

Options
  • 10-05-2003 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Dont know how many of you out there know this but eircom have a page where you can check if your exchange is dsl enabled and also you can vote for broadband in your area Heres the link - Vote

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's been mentioned before.

http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/

Vote early, vote often.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Geez, what a joke. They should just offer ADSL at all exchanges, and if they don't our "regulator" should do something about it.

Although it would be nice, it's totally pie in the sky.

True leaders would realise the uncomparable value of a 256 or 512 USO in Ireland, but we don't have true leaders in Ireland; we don't even have voters that are true to themselves. In Ireland we always settle for what we're given, like idiots, and in our case we can't even hold out for a reasonable settlement, such as open and transparent exchange demand procedures.

Sorry, but take the head out of the clouds. You're going nowhere.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    Geez, what a joke. They should just offer ADSL at all exchanges, and if they don't our "regulator" should do something about it.
    I don't believe even the us has 100% adsl deployment in exchanges yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Urban WeigI,

We live in hope, and I am with you. Regulators *Have the power and it is time they used it!.

Scepticism, from those that should know better, never achieved anything!.

Paddy20 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by jd
    I don't believe even the us has 100% adsl deployment in exchanges yet

The US isn't exactly a leader though; they're falling behind as well, though not nearly as far as we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

The US isn't exactly a leader though; they're falling behind as well, though not nearly as far as we have here.

Perhaps, but that kind of implies (i'll explain later,cab outside) to me that if adsl is to be rolled out to smaller ,marginal exchanges, perhaps the government should subsidise the equipment (to eircom/esat whoever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Ireland:

The island of Ireland covers 84,431 square kilometers (32,599 square miles). At its widest the island is about 280 km (174 mi). At its longest (north-south) it is 486 km (302 mi). The island includes the Republic of Ireland (70,283 sq km/27,136 sq mi) and Northern Ireland (14,148 sq km/5463 sq mi). This is such a tiny Island by any means. But its governed by idiots, a Phone company that rules your every chance of ever getting a decent Broadband connection. And a place where people put up with HUGE prices for everything. Ask anyone who visits this little place we call home.

OHP

OHP,

Ah, ermm, Quote OHP:-,

"But its governed by idiots" end quote.

More like - Its governed by greedy self-centred people of questionable morals, who appear NOT to really give an honest damn about how Irish Internet users are being ripped off - by the minute, by that telecommunications company whose name I have now even removed from my vocabulary.

However, despite both the current government and that telecoms company. Things are changing for the better, and will continue too improve for all Internet users. Even if it means replacing both of them.

Something, that may shamefully be needed, if Irish Internet users are to get the fair service needed.

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

moderators, sorry for going off topic...

Urban Weigl - how do you pronounce your name? It has bugged me for some time not knowing what the nick is.

Sorry for off topic,

Gordon;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Don't get me wrong here, I love my DSL connection, but I'd rather see my other costs reduced first....

- Weekly shopping bill
    - Car insurance, tax and petrol
    - Creche fees
    - Doctors charges
    - Beer (screw the alco poppers, double it - but beer?)

You know folks, the internet is a luxury - we are privilged members of the information society - as such, for me to retain "the privilege", I'm happy enough to squander my 50 odd squids a month (it's 3.8 pints of the black stuff a week or a glass a day!!!!)

DSLinAbsentia,

Quote:- "You know folks, the internet is a luxury - we are privileged members of the information society" end quote.

Excuse me but we must live in different countries!, I am lost for words, maybe someone else could explain what you are on about, while I go and have a long rest in bed.

Paddy20:(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There are two billion people in the world who have never made a phone call. 54 percent of the world's population lives two miles from a phone. There are more phone lines in Manhattan than in all of Africa.
    the internet is a luxury - we are privileged members of the information society

S'Right

:D Some of the 54 percent are in Ireland too! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As dahamsta said this is totally unrealistic.

People are fond of comparing us to the UK and the Other european countries, so then, would someone mind pointing me to the country that has 100% DSL enabled exchanges (hmm, possibly sweden, not sure)?

And before Paddy comes *Wading in with "comments" about -negativity, thats just the way it is and unfortunatly probably will be for the next few years.

Personally, i think we should be looking at pushing wireless access outside major population concentrations. Trying to get every small villages exchange DSL enabled would take a very long time indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

From all of my dealings with Eircom while trying to secure a DSL upgrade for my exchange I believe that the voting process is a sham, to keep people occupied while Eircom sit on their hands.

I have been trying for over a year to get the local exchange upgraded and every time I ask how many people have registered an interest I get a different number. Now this would be great if the numbers were increasing but they don't. I think that they make the number up to fob you off......

M.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Personally, i think we should be looking at pushing wireless access outside major population concentrations.
    Absolutely, in fact our Government should be encouraging them /inside/ the major population centres too. With cable out of the picture and powerline broadband an unknown factor, wireless is the only mainstream alternative to broadband out there. Resting our future on an uncooperative and covetous company like Eircom is dangerous and absolutely shouldn't be accepted. Not by us, and certainly not by our Government. The Government's apparent unwillingness to tackle Eircom's wholesale monopoly is questionable in the extreme.

adam

If a -wireless solution- for providing a 24/7 FRIACO & BROADBAND service throughout Ireland is feasibly possible. Thereby overcoming the - last mile - stranglehold with which that telecoms company is holding Internet users to ransom.

Then I have to support it. Perhaps the Goverment should set up a task force with teeth to help introduce any new legislation that may be needed in order to make a wireless Intenet access[fairly priced service] available to one and all.

That must be the first time that I find myself agreeing with both Dustaz & dahamsta on anything !.

Miracles will never cease.

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm confused...I thought the legislation for LLU was done and dusted and on it's way. I thought eircom were just death rattling about it now..??

Also exactly *when does their existing wireless licence expire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Both Dustaz and dahamsta wireless is the only way to go for rural areas.Though i dutifully voted for my exchange i know that it will not happen in any useful time period.A couple of questions how long did it take to roll out Mobile phones in ireland ?.What kind of coverage have mobile phones got now ?.How is it that we are surounded by fibre rings that lay unused?.How come the goverment still runs arround quibbling over semantics with the likes of eircon when by 2005 ADSL and RDSL technolgy will not be able to provide the 5mb connections the EU has decide we should all have.Things just dont add up in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

You'll have seen the same hoo-hah issues with MMDS (Multipoint Microwave Distribution Service, aka Wireless TV) in rural areas. I think it's definitely the way to go - perhaps ESAT/BT would consider leveraging their existing mobile transmitter stations to do WiFi broadcasts aswell. That'd certainly be cheaper. Don't know what the technical difficulties of this would be, but the frequencies would be mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

On the subject of MMDS, equipment exists that allows the same antennas on the roofs of every second house outside cable wired areas to get cable modem style services. Shame the company that controls most of the MMDS services is Chorus which is 50% owned by Independent News and Media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Chorus never remove the MMDS aerials in rural areas, they collect their decoder boxes and disappear leaving a perfectly good wireless aerial behind, over half of them are completely unused as people gave up on Chorus or went to satellite.

T0 confirm the ownership of the Antennae, Mounting Pole and Cabling has now reverted to you, you must first send a letter to Willie Fagan, their MD giving him one last chance to take it back.

<snip>

Willie Fagan
    Chorus Ltd
    Roxboro Rd
    Limerick City

Date xx/05/2003

Dear Mr Fagan,

It has come to my notice that Chorus have deliberately abandoned equipment on the roof/wall delete the wrong one of my house.

If you do not collect the dish and mounting equipment and make good the damage to the outside wall/chimney/gable/soffit delete the wrong one(s) within 15 working days then I shall take it that the equipment is mine in perpetuity.

Yours Sincerely

<snip>

(Delighted ex Chorus subscriber with free Installed Aerial for Wi-Fi or Mesh Network when they are switched on)

M

Advertisement