Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL in Waterford City

Options
  • 10-05-2003 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Has anyone out there heard anything about when people in the western half of Waterford City will be able to subscribe to broadband services? Our exchange is currently not enabled for Eircom or Esat services.

The customer service agent for Eircom has politely told me that I could be waiting until the end of the year before our exchange is upgraded!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

See thread "Lack of Availability of Broadband in Waterford" and get your details to shinzon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

I am living up in hillview, running on the tycor exchange. I rang Eircom a few days ago, they said that the tycor exchange should be done before the end of the summer. Esat Bt also has services avilable but cost is nearly twice that of Eircom's service i believe.

Only time will tell, although a 4 gig cap per month is pretty strict if you ask me. I download that on average on 56k and i think that if Eircom really wants to get their DSL to be a nationwide hit, they should raise the cap for standard pricing..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

most of use that can get bb or will be able to .......should consider ourself lucky most most the people in smaller villages and towns never will be able to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Please guys anything about waterford and Broadband please read this thread and post there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95178

Thx

Shin

how far out the dunmore road does the tycor exchange cover

regards

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by shinzon:

Please guys anything about waterford and Broadband please read this thread and post there

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95178

Thx

Shin

Sorry, when I click that link I get.
    Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Originally posted by shinzon
    how far out the dunmore road does the tycor exchange cover

regards

shin

Id say your taking newtown at the most ..... Dont think any of the houses out that way are going though tycor .... think its either knockboy or waterford main.

Originally posted by swiss
    Sorry, when I click that link I get.

Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

Dont worry about it, i declined the Tv3 interview so saw no need to have 2 threads on the same topic

Regards shin

So would the central exchange cover the viewmount area then, im just trying to retrace my steps so i havent missed anything when i try comreg again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

Its not really a case of what area your in. For example I know a business thats wired into the tycor exhcange even though the waterford one is about 0.5 k away while the tycor is about 2km.

I would presume that the entire of Hillview would be wired into Tycor exchange so you can only get Esats DSL service .... ( 90 euros a month paid quaterly .. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I live in The Glen and I was told that I passed the line test by the online test, the eircom sales rep and by netsource.

However when I checked to see if my exchange was upgraded (by adding the self-install option to my basket in the eircom online store) I was told that it wasn't upgraded yet!

Does anyone know which exchanges in the city are upgraded? I would have thought that I was connected to the GPO exchange.

What is the point of eircom doing the line test if your exchange isn't upgraded? I am going to ring them tomorrow about it because I am very pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

Glennus,

I agree. The Eircom website is unclear as to what exchanges are upgraded across the city. Simply stating on their website that the 'Waterford' exchange is enabled is not good enough.

Im my rant rave rave thread, as i indicated my line passed on the 11th and then 5 days later it didnt, but each agent i talked to kept saying my exchange is enabled but my line isnt.

So im on a DSL enabled exchange but still cant get the bloody thing

Honestly shooting myself would be easier

SHIN

Well I'm guessing that I should be connected to the GPO exchange, but I'm beginning to suspect I'm on the Tycor exchange, despite that being yonks away.

If this is the case, then if Tycor finally is upgraded I'll have less speed then I would if I was connected to the GPO exchange.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I rang 1901 this morning and asked which exchange I'm connected to, which I was told is Waterford Main.

I then rang 1800 503 303 and told the operator about my situation (the online store saying my exchange isn't upgraded). She then tested the line for me and said that DSL was available to me on my exchange. I asked her to check that I was connected to Waterford main and she said yes; it was marked on her screen that it was upgraded between January and March. I asked was she positive that I wasn't on the Tycor exchange and she said yes but "the Tycor exchange is upgraded as well".

Apparently she didn't know what the problem with the online store was, but DSL is definitely available on my exchange.

I'd advise anyone who's been told their exchange isn't upgraded to ring 1800 503 303 and double check.

Originally posted by Glennus
    I rang 1901 this morning and asked which exchange I'm connected to, which I was told is Waterford Main.

I then rang 1800 503 303 and told the operator about my situation (the online store saying my exchange isn't upgraded). She then tested the line for me and said that DSL was available to me on my exchange. I asked her to check that I was connected to Waterford main and she said yes; it was marked on her screen that it was upgraded between January and March. I asked was she positive that I wasn't on the Tycor exchange and she said yes but "the Tycor exchange is upgraded as well".

Apparently she didn't know what the problem with the online store was, but DSL is definitely available on my exchange.

I'd advise anyone who's been told their exchange isn't upgraded to ring 1800 503 303 and double check.

Strange this, I met myfriend in town today and he went through the test, passed and ordered from the online store, he got an e-mail today sayin that his order has had to be delayed because the tycor exchange (the exchange hes on)hasnt been upgraded

So i dunno one tech drone above says it is an e-mail says it isnt

God i love eircom

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ironic really, Esat are offering DSL from both Central & Tycor exchange in waterford for months now :D

shame they only offer the business product through esats 40 exchanges, itd be brilliant if they offered the residential product through these as well, but not gonna happen, shame wouldnt have to go through all this comreg etc thing if they did

Shin

ww)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shame they only offer the business product through esats 40 exchanges

Yeah but the business package is the only one worth its salt :-)

I know I won't be going for residential as long as there is a cap on it ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by Glennus

I then rang 1800 503 303 and told the operator about my situation (the online store saying my exchange isn't upgraded). She then tested the line for me and said that DSL was available to me on my exchange

The online store is a bit screwed up. Very surprising from a company that is so spot on and ahead of the pack generally.

Typically while your line might pass the test, when you proceed to sign-up for I-stream self install the online store tells you that it is not available in your area.

When you persist and call 1800 503 303, service magically becomes available.

Just another weapon in eircom's toolkit to delay DSL rollout for ever and a day!

zz..

unfortunately the masses aint as rich as some peeps. so we got to content ourselves with what weve got

Shin

• Advertisement

unfortunately the masses aint as rich as some peeps. so we got to content ourselves with what weve got

Well most people I know, don't get it at home
    They live in a hosue with other people and they all chip in for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

For those interested.....

Spoke to the Eircom customer service rep today and she said that the Tycor exchange was being upgraded to DSL at the moment and should be complete within the month.

Dac.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm using the ESAT BB service connected on the business package and I find it well worth it. Although when you get the first quarterly bill and it includes the installation charges it comes to nearly €500. But I'm happy. And i'm in the cherrymount area.

heh, yeah I can't wait for that first bill from Esat
    It should look fun :D
    But it'll be all worth it in the end..

Advertisement