Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource Facts

• 10-05-2003 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and two housemates are getting revved up at the idea of DSL at home.
    Before we order, we'd like to know exactly how much it costs per month (including VAT) and what we get for our money.

This is what iv'e managed to scrape together so far:
    • Via netsource
    • €54 per month including vat plus a domain name registration costing €12 per month = €66 per month
    • Installation costs €199.65 including VAT for their techie to come out and set you up, or €99 for you to "do it yourself".
    • it's 512kbps/128kbps RADSL at 48:1 contention ratio, uncapped, interleaving at a low setting, fast-paths disabled, PPPoE
    • You *have* to buy their DSL modem/router, you *cannot* use your own.
    • You must have passed the eircom 1Mbit ADSL line test before you can order.
    • DIY: When you order it'll take at least 2 weeks for them to hook you up, by the end of which you'll have recieved your microfilter (looks like a BT-to-RJ11 phone jack adapter) which plugs straight into the bog-standard RJ-11 phone sockets we all know and love, prehaps using a standard RJ-11 line splitter to alow you to plug in a telephone aswell.

Questions I not clear on:
    • What domains can you register for?
    • What's the difference between Self-install and Techie-install, in practicality/hassle terms?
    • What do we need to wire up ourselves?
    • What is the DSL hardware they are offering?
    • Is it any good?
    • If not, what do you reccomend as a cheaper/better alternative for similar cost???
    • Is it available in Galway City (Dangan Area, shantalla exchange) right now????

We're 2 elec eng students and an IT student, we can just about afford the €66 a month if the service is up to scratch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by SyxPak

Questions I not clear on:
    • What domains can you register for?
    • What's the difference between Self-install and Techie-install, in practicality/hassle terms?
    • What do we need to wire up ourselves?
    • Is it any good?
    • If not, what do you reccomend as a cheaper/better alternative for similar cost???
    • Is it available in Galway City (Dangan Area, shantalla exchange) right now????

We're 2 elec eng students and an IT student, we can just about afford the €66 a month if the service is up to scratch.

1. .com cheap and fast, .ie expensive and hassle.
    2. None if ye are techie, except price
    3. Nothing, filter(aka splitter) goes in existing socket
    4. Xyxel I think
    5. Fast as nobody has signed up yet really, ergo low contention
    6. If you want 4Gb a month anyway, every month, they are the best deal.
    7. Shantalla is enabled but you are on the limit in Dangan (2 miles ish) , some Dangan houses are served from Bushypark and not Shantalla ISTR.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You dont have to get their hardware. Im using a DLink 504 right now with Netsource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Is it any good?

All the above relates to the DSL hardware itself, not the service :)

We're living in Greenfields (across road from Corrib Village), and get 42-43kbit/sec on 56kdialup at (from what I remember) ~180ms pings.

We have the use of a 24-port 100Mbit switched hub (UNEX) and I've got a Pentium box that we could use as a router if we got a PCI dsl modem, would be nice having a web/mailserver with static IP, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that it'd be a better idea to have a dedicated hardware router.
    Are the 4-port switches in some routers any good compared with say a decent stand-alone switch?
    What sort of throughput do you get? (3Com(70-80MBit) or Realtek(20MBit) standards?)
    I'm pretty sure we could still run a mail server from inside the intranet without suffering latency/config issues with the pentium box as middle man.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

NOBODY can force you to use their equipment...(illegal)
    You *have* to buy their DSL modem/router, you *cannot* use your own.

Where did you get that from???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Does anyone know if this service is available in Dundalk also, more or less a mile from the centre of town.. So the distance from the exchange should not be an issue.

We are 4 IT students and want the 1mb no download limit service.. I have emailed them twice in the last week and have not got any reply, is this normal? And is it likely to happen if ya get a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

We are 4 IT students and want the 1mb no download limit service.. I have emailed them twice in the last week and have not got any reply, is this normal? And is it likely to happen if ya get a problem?

AFAIK, they are only offering the SOHO/RADSL product outside of dublin at the moment, but if your local exchange is enabled and your existing line passes eircoms test then you can get it.

as for them not replying to emails, I've sent quite a few in the last few days querying my order status, I still haven't had a reply. Methinks they're under a bit of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Until about a week ago they where answering my E-mails within 3 hours, but in the last week I've gotten no replies, I agree with echomadman they must be up to their necks.

Difference between self install and tech install is that after the tech install you have a new phone socket with two ports ADSL and phone, with self install you have your old socket with an off white coloured box hanging from it that your DSL modem and phone plug into, all connections are RJ-11 there is no BT style socket.

You *Don't* have to buy their hardware, just don't tick the box on the order form. Like all ISP supplied hardware it's horribly overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

Netsource Facts

Ordered on 23rd april. Still no line activated, no self install in the post :mad:

[EDIT]

Just checked, Dsl light on router coming on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by ando
    Netsource Facts

Ordered on 23rd april. Still no line activated, no self install in the post :mad:

My order was processed on the 18th April but it seems that nationwide orders (mine) are only being put through the system as we speak (€ircon problems) so I'm looking at another wait of about 2 weeks! :rolleyes:

I've waited years for broadband so I suppose another 2 weeks ain't gonna kill me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Ordered on 23rd april. Still no line activated, no self install in the post

That means last Friday would of been your 11th Working Day. I ordered mine on the 17th and got it last Friday The 9th. About 13-14 Working Days after ordering. That would be around standard for the first month i would think. Those 13-14 days did seem like the longest of my life mind you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I faxed my order in on the 16th April, rang them up today to see wassup.
    They say line is supposed to be activated tomorrow (13th) and self-install pack is posted out today, i await :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

What's the catch?

Years of false starts have made me sceptical. Is this really a thread about uncapped DSL from the Shantalla exchange or am I imagining it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yep your right, it is real :):)
    Got mine working first time last night and pings as were expected :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Bosco
    What's the catch?

Years of false starts have made me sceptical. Is this really a thread about uncapped DSL from the Shantalla exchange or am I imagining it?

I bloody hope so :)

The only thing I'm worried about is that a shower of Knocknacarra CS kiddies are going to get it with daddy's money and destroy the contention ratio.

Could someone tell me, will they terminate all the DSL customers onto one block of DSLAMs or upgrade the PSTN card you and your neighbours are currently plugged into to DSLAM instead, paving the way for more uptake on you block?
    I've an idea it's the former as it's cheaper in the short term (seems typical attitude in this country :() whereas the latter seems to be cheaper in the long run and would give early adopters high quality of service....

Oh and apparently our number is ready for IOL/EsatBT dsl, 091586xxx but moycullen 091555xxx isn't.
    I assume this doesn't apply to eircom lines though?
    OUt in moyculen, would the copper be terminated in a DSLAM in the exchange in the village or would it be backhauled into Shantalla and terminated there (~1.3miles Vs. ~10miles)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

CS kiddies ARE WE SYXPAK?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

yes, yes you are

well I'm a qw'er myself tbh like, god I need dsl, I'm never gonna get it tho, eircom wont upgrade, no wireless in Galway, NTL don't offer thier services outside of the Dublin area. GRRRRRRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

there will be wireless in Knocknatallaght by the summer :D . You should set up a WLAN in the meantime , see Irishwan and then ye can share a 2Mb connection when it becomes available.

M

who's providing wireless? and btw, YAY , I don't have enough money to buy the equipment to join galwaywan (I'm only 14 ffs, gimme a break :P).

YAY YAY YAY

p.s. Are you sure?

Advertisement