Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

After waiting for years the first non-DSL broadband in Athy has finally arrived (not that DSL is particularly widely available, either). Torque Internet have just set up fixed wireless, requiring an external antenna on the house with line-of-sight to their transmitter on top of the Greencore Malt tower beside Tegral.

No, I don't work for them. Just desperately happy not to be on dial-up any more! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

AndrewMc wrote:
    After waiting for years the first non-DSL broadband in Athy has finally arrived (not that DSL is particularly widely available, either). Torque Internet have just set up fixed wireless, requiring an external antenna on the house with line-of-sight to their transmitter on top of the Greencore Malt tower beside Tegral.

No, I don't work for them. Just desperately happy not to be on dial-up any more! :D

Torque used to be a great little company but its hard to know what is going on there now. There have been some recent sudden staff changes and other problems that have affected the level and security of service to the extent that I have had to cancel the account in the past few days and go back to dial in after previously being more than happy with the service they provided.

I hope they sort it out, but in the meanwhile it's a very expense installation to have to cancel and go back to dial in.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

Juat been on the phone to eircom trying to find out iof broadband is available in my area they said that my line wasnt suitable because i was to far away from the exchange but said i could use there high speed internet ??? is that isdn or is there some new service i havent heard about.desperatly need a quicker internet connection as can only connect at 12k now and its pretty much useless oh forgot to say am in gweedore in donegal anyone know any alternatives to using eircom for bb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pmcf wrote:
    Juat been on the phone to eircom trying to find out iof broadband is available in my area they said that my line wasnt suitable because i was to far away from the exchange but said i could use there high speed internet ???
    thats ISDN
    desperatly need a quicker internet connection as can only connect at 12k now and its pretty much useless oh forgot to say am in gweedore in donegal anyone know any alternatives to using eircom for bb
    If you connect at 12k its not distance. Its the fact that your line is split. If they are prepared to unsplit it for ISDN then it should pass for ADSL thereafter.

I will bet you that they will REFUSE to unsplit your line after you order ISDN and will not give you ISDN (which needs a full pair like ADSL does)

Be prepared to esalate to the boss , Phil Nolan. His email address is somewhere around.

This lot below may be providing wireless in your area under the "Broadband for the Hills" project

http://www.nwewn.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

pmcf wrote:
    Juat been on the phone to eircom trying to find out iof broadband is available in my area they said that my line wasnt suitable because i was to far away from the exchange but said i could use there high speed internet ??? is that isdn or is there some new service i havent heard about.desperatly need a quicker internet connection as can only connect at 12k now and its pretty much useless oh forgot to say am in gweedore in donegal anyone know any alternatives to using eircom for bb
    "High Speed" is eircoms brandname for their ISDN service - highway robbery would be more like it.

Have a look at www.broadband.gov.ie to see if there are any wireless providers servicing your area (not all services are registered there, so it's not as useful a resource as it might be - I'm sure that'll come as a big surprise :rolleyes: )

Just saw your addition of Gweedore as your location. Ildana says "ilDána is pleased to offer wireless Broadband in Gaoth Daobhair, Co. Donegal. We can offer wireless connectivity to those with Line of Sight visibility of either the Wind Farm, the Údaras na Gaeltachta building or of the Raidio na Gaeltachta mast." Note that there are other threads pointing out that ilDána went into liquidation, and have been taken over by Fastnet, so bear that in mind when making any decision. If they still offer service in your area, try to find out if there are enough customers that the new owners are likely to maintain the service there. (Wireless installations are often easy to spot by looking for the wireless receiver on roofs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The Drumshambo, Co. Leitrim exchange was broadband enabled on Wednesday 7th June 2006.

Foxwood wrote:
    "

Just saw your addition of Gweedore as your location. Ildana says "ilDána is pleased to offer wireless Broadband in Gaoth Daobhair, Co. Donegal. We can offer wireless connectivity to those with Line of Sight visibility of either the Wind Farm, the Údaras na Gaeltachta building or of the Raidio na Gaeltachta mast." Note that there are other threads pointing out that ilDána went into liquidation, and have been taken over by Fastnet, so bear that in mind when making any decision. If they still offer service in your area, try to find out if there are enough customers that the new owners are likely to maintain the service there. (Wireless installations are often easy to spot by looking for the wireless receiver on roofs).

Hi yeah ilDána did have a wireless service but it was pretty crappy was alway breaking down.havent heard anything about fast net yet in my area but will have a look about.i guess i will be stuck with my crappy 12k connection fo ra while but at least i have bb at work so its not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Guys the original post hasn't been edited in 3 years. It's very out of date. Maybe it should be unstickied?

Have been on the phone to eircom again ! trying to get them to admit that i have a split line and have given up .dose anyone know could i pay to get them to install a proper line or would that cost me a fortune need to do somthing as i really fed up connecting at 12k its pretty much a waste of time using the net.

eircom call it a "carrier line" ..... big white box on pole somewhere . All your neighbours would be on it too.

So your orrdered ISDN and eircom said ....what exactly ????

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    eircom call it a "carrier line" ..... big white box on pole somewhere . All your neighbours would be on it too.

So your orrdered ISDN and eircom said ....what exactly ????

Didnt order ISDN its to exspensive just want to know if i could get eircom to put in a proper line maybe then i could connect at a decent speed.

Jayzuz did you read nothing on this Board ?????????????????????

You order ISDN becuase THEN eircom HAVE TO give you a decent line IF THEY ACCEPT THE ORDER

If course they may not accept the order but you can ask .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Postman Pat

hey there, we had the same problem in the wesht of Ireland, we had a carrier line, could not get caller id and had crappy internet speeds, we complained and we were informed by eircom that we could get a fixed wireless option installed,

basically what this is, is that eircom attach an aerial to the side of your house and install a small box inside your house (similar looking and in size to a digibox)... what this method does is, it picks up a dial tone from the air (fixed wireless) and enables us to get slightly faster download speeds over the internet. We used to be only be able to get 28kbs per sec max, but now we can get up to 40kbs... I know its not a huge increase but it was worth it given it was free.

Hope this helps.

We used to be only be able to get 28kbs per sec max, but now we can get up to 40kbs... I know its not a huge increase but it was worth it given it was free.

Hope this helps.

instead of fixing your line you got that . Now you can never get Broadband and this is a Broadband forum....unless the box in your house is an Airspan unit maybe in which case you could get 512k BB if you paid eircom €700 install for it.

you should have got them to FIX the LINE instead , sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Hi Folks,

Any more news on Exchanges to be upgraded to DSL in the near future or has it the rollout come to a stand still again?

Cheers
    Jason

Shyboy wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Any more news on Exchanges to be upgraded to DSL in the near future or has it the rollout come to a stand still again?

Cheers
    Jason
    Very few. 3 or 4 sometime this month and around the same next month. The current upgrade programme, started last year, is comming to an end and nothing further has been announced. What exchange are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,527 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

does anybody see villages ever with broadband ?

Hi Kaizersoze,

I am on the Turloughmore, Co.Galway exchange. I think I will probably be waiting for a while yet. I have also tried Digiweb to see if I could get the Metro service (I would be about 12km from their transmitter), but they say that I am too far.

I believe that IBB are going live here very soon with their Breeze service, but with all the negative things that I have read about them I am very wary about going with them.

Anyway, you never know, miracles can happen...

Cheers
    Jason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

What are the main wireless providers in the west besides westnet and eircom. Just wanted to know the availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

persian wrote:
    Anyone know when NTL will have enabled South Circular Road,Dublin 8 for broadband???
    Part of South Circular Road/Dublin 8 have been done in the past while, can't check without a more exact address but worth giving them a call.

• Advertisement

Shyboy wrote:
    I believe that IBB are going live here very soon with their Breeze service, but with all the negative things that I have read about them I am very wary about going with them.

I heard they are live now around the loughgeorge esb mast. Give them a ring.

Thanks Sponge Bob, Will give them a buzz.

Best Regards
    Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Does anyone know if Broadband is ever going to be available outside the Ballinrobe area (Cross, The Neal, Cong, Glencorrib)? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Well im 2km short of the digiweb wireless mast but they could upgrade my local mast to reach but so far they are refusing and I cant understand why as this would give them another 200 customers!!!!!:mad: :mad:

The following 3 exchanges were enabled on Thursday 6th July 2006:
    Annacotty, Co.Limerick.
    Corrandulla, Co.Galway.
    Spiddal, Co.Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Grainne

Mikosyko wrote:
    Does anyone know if Broadband is ever going to be available outside the Ballinrobe area (Cross, The Neal, Cong, Glencorrib)? :mad:

am living in the cross area and have huge issues with eircom adn thier carrier lines. apparently bb is available in cong. a new exchange has been set up in cross but they have not activated it yet as its proving too expensive and they've decided to delay same until xmas. The new exchange was supposed to be up and running in June. No guarntee that it will be available at xmas either, i've been waiting nearly three years for teh exchange to be upgraded. fighting a loosing battle i'm afraid!

Grainne wrote:
    am living in the cross area and have huge issues with eircom adn thier carrier lines. apparently bb is available in cong. a new exchange has been set up in cross but they have not activated it yet as its proving too expensive and they've decided to delay same until xmas. The new exchange was supposed to be up and running in June. No guarntee that it will be available at xmas either, i've been waiting nearly three years for teh exchange to be upgraded. fighting a loosing battle i'm afraid!

Well it's good to hear they have it set up at least. Ugh its so annoying that its taking so long and yet a place like cong has it for ages!:mad:

after what happened to Furbo in Galway last year there is no guarantee any new ''Exchange '' will get Broadband, its only a cabinet by the roadside after all.

collect that 'list of 200' and approach wireless operators like Westnet

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Talked to the guy installing the Eircom line for my phone the other day and apparently they have a new Wireless Solution that will be available soon (better than their current wireless solution)

• Advertisement

PoolDude wrote:
    Talked to the guy installing the Eircom line for my phone the other day and apparently they have a new Wireless Solution that will be available soon (better than their current wireless solution)

And where will that take affect?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement