Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Crossposted to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52457926#post52457926

On new information from people I would trust implicitly, it gives me very great pleasure to feel able to inform you that I am satified any problem I was aware of, involving Torque Internet, or the staff of Torque Internet,(now a part of Callidus) has been permanently resolved to the extent that I would once again have every confidence in recommending the service to anyone, and wishing them every good fortune for the future.

Of course, however formal and mysterious I may sound there, that is not to say Almighty God has taken over and the service is, or ever will be 100% perfect, but then nothing ever is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Anybody know anything about eircoms FWA service being upgraded, thought I heard it awhile ago on this thread, anyway any info much appreciated. And o yeah anyinfo on a price reduction for the installation of the FWA would be good too, any chance it would happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Hi all,
    I rang NTL sale and they said it's not available, but might be in few months.
    Anybody in this area actually have it? Or confirm otherwise!
    Sorry, I just don't trust info from NTL anymore...such a bad service!

Moving in at the moment, so I haven't had the chance to ask neighbours yet!

Thanks
    Pan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ethernet wrote:
    You may be able to get fixed wireless broadband from Clarinbridge Broadband.

Clarinbridgebroadband doesn't go that far up. Check his website, he specifies very clearly, what you need to see, to get connected with him.

There are other options though, for example Airwire and the Group Broadband Schemes around.

/Marlow
    --
    Communication is the beginning of understanding
    - AT&T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

Anyone with Magnet in Dublin 13??

Am dumping NTL but need an alternative!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Yes at long last, we are getting Broadband in Mullagh.
    Eircom have missed the boat.

Regards
    Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

who launched the boat so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Hi
    Is was Net1, not sure if they are anygood but beggers cant be choosers.
    They will have to be pretty bad to be worse than our dial up.

Applied to just about everybody in 2005, 2 weeks ago a guy turned up, got on the roof and said yes you can get it.

Gone for the 4MB each way

Just have to wait and see.

That sudden burst of customer service excellence in Net1 would be nothing to do with Digiweb going live around there would it ??? Mindya Digiweb do not to 4mbits up and I nevr knew Net1 did either , thats one of the fastests uplinks in the whole country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hobsonschoice

Hi Guys, Sorry to jump into a thread here. search not working on this site.

My question is does anyone know of a broadband provider that covers Laban in co Galway. I am routed through a broadband enabled exchange but eircom say "line is unsuitable" I am considering 3g but would appreciate if anyone knows how i can get either Eircom to fix my line without charging me the earth or maybe Skydsl or something. I have looked at airwire but for €300 installation fee i will keep looking for now.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am at the end of my tether now.
    How is it we can put robots on Mars but can't provide broadband 5km from the exchange!! Only in Ireland.

• Advertisement

My question is does anyone know of a broadband provider that covers Laban in co Galway. I am routed through a broadband enabled exchange but eircom say "line is unsuitable" I am considering 3g but would appreciate if anyone knows how i can get either Eircom to fix my line without charging me the earth or maybe Skydsl or something. I have looked at airwire but for €300 installation fee i will keep looking for now.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am at the end of my tether now.
    How is it we can put robots on Mars but can't provide broadband 5km from the exchange!! Only in Ireland.

The distance from the exchange is not the issue. It's the quality of the cables and the cable-distance from the exchange. Telecom Eirann/Eircom used aluminum cables in the start of the 90's as a cost-cutting measure. Good for voice, but bad for data. That keeps them from rolling DSL out in the same degree as other countries in Europe. Another "bummer", that they've adapted fromt the americans is "party-lines". Multiplexed lines are unsuitable for DSL, too, as the frequency-areas used for DSL have been used up by the additional phonelines that share the line.

We are aware, that the 300 EUR installation fee is quite steep, but matter of fact, we still loose out on the install at that price. A new phoneline from Eircom will cost you at least 120-150 EUR and for our broadband connection you don't need a phoneline, so 300 EUR is not that bad.

Anyhow, if your line isn't suitable for DSL, I'm afraid, that the only provider that also covers Laban is us. Another option could be one of the community networks, but the equipment to get hooked up there is also around 300-400 EUR.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

it seems my neighbour has somehow got broadband! apparantly she rang eircom and ordered a router!:eek:

you'll have to forgive me because i know little about broadband, but how can she can simply connect the router to her phone socket and have broadband like that? :confused:
    I'm going to ring them tomorrow and see if it's true. And if it is, happy days! :p

Mikosyko wrote:
    it seems my neighbour has somehow got broadband! apparantly she rang eircom and ordered a router!:eek:

you'll have to forgive me because i know little about broadband, but how can she can simply connect the router to her phone socket and have broadband like that? :confused:
    I'm going to ring them tomorrow and see if it's true. And if it is, happy days! :p

Well, if she orders a router of eircom, then that means she ordered broadband and they send her a router. Of course they also had to enable her line for the broadband to work. However, if her line passed the chances, that you can get broadband down the phoneline are quite high.

/Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

ukdavros wrote:
    Hi
    Is was Net1, not sure if they are anygood but beggers cant be choosers.
    They will have to be pretty bad to be worse than our dial up.

Net1 won the GBS scheme in Moynalty/Carlanstown/Kilberry, but the coverage around Moynalty is patchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Hi,
    Can anybody tell me if there's any wireless/satellite broadband suppliers in and around Portarlington?

I don't want to get a landline to a new home, and have also considered the 3G data cards from Vodafone or 3. However, 3 seem to be having stock issues and Vodafone have hit and miss coverage for my mobile phone around the house - so doesn't bode well for 3G coverage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

DMC wrote:
    Net1 won the GBS scheme in Moynalty/Carlanstown/Kilberry, but the coverage around Moynalty is patchy.

i wouldnt touch net 1 with a 50 foot pole, been ringing them for best part of a year trying to get a line test, to no avial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,535 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my parents were listening to the radio today and it said that rural areas in Tipperary are getting broadband in the following months

they said eircom are bringing broadband in because the government are taking over

i just want to clarify this

my area was mentioned of getting broadband

my parents were listening to the radio today and it said that rural areas in Tipperary are getting broadband in the following months

they said eircom are bringing broadband in because the government are taking over

Eircom does not provide broadband :) A 10 GB cap means, if you would be using your DSL constantly, you weren't allowed to use more than 32 kbit, which is no better than your dial-up, beyond that you now pay a fixed price.

Here's a layout of Eircom's packages for you:
    1 Mbit/128 kbit, 10 GB cap down, 1 GB cap up = approx 32 kbit down with 1 mbit burst / 3.2 kbit up with 128 kbit burst
    2 Mbit/256 kbit, 20 GB cap = approx 64 kbit down with 2 mbit burst and 256 kbit up, as there is no cap on the upload.

Beyond that, they state, that the speeds they sell you aren't guaranteed.

Taking these figures, Eircom will never provide true broadband.

If you are looking for true broadband in rural Tipperary, there are two wireless providers, that will deliver that and you don't need a phoneline to get it.

FWI - http://www.fwi.ie/
    Wireless Connect - http://www.wirelessconnect.eu/

Broadband down the phoneline is a joke in this country.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

In Dundalk at the moment for my sins, I have no phone line so that rules out a few companies. I just want it to borrow stuff from my cousins saving them the hassle of going to the post office. What packages in the area would be best for this letter writing? I'm not sure what Clearwire is like and if I can get in the area either. Anyways thanks for assistance if it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Is East co. Galway the worst place for any boradband service?

At the moment, only Ballinasloe & Mountbellew seem to have wired broadband. Does anyone have any idea wether the rest of the county will get broadband, either wired or wireless.

I'd consider getting Digiweb satellite, but @ €99 p/m It's too pricey. Any suggestions to altrenative broadband solutions would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 prittstick

Rjd2 wrote:
    In Dundalk at the moment for my sins, I have no phone line so that rules out a few companies. I just want it to borrow stuff from my cousins saving them the hassle of going to the post office. What packages in the area would be best for this letter writing? I'm not sure what Clearwire is like and if I can get in the area either. Anyways thanks for assistance if it comes.

Digiweb is in Dundalk...i'm using them.. pretty happy!

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    At the moment, only Ballinasloe & Mountbellew seem to have wired broadband. Does anyone have any idea wether the rest of the county will get broadband, either wired or wireless.

Lightnet.ie cover parts of East Galway as do Airwire and Lastmile .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

hello there, I'm sure you are sick to death of hearing this.

but basically I have no idea what I am doing, and looking for advice. We got the poxy ripwave plus yoke, and out download speed as a paltry 42kbps, and that's when its going well. Personally I thing thats ridiculous for 27 euro. We've to wait out the aul contract, but once free, which provider offers a decent cost-to-shafting ratio? I've no phone line and am in Kilmainham....?

peez peez help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Terry101

Does anyone in Galway have bb from lighthouse.net? I am thinking of getting it but would like to know if people are happy with it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I've got Lighthousnet for the last few months. No Problems so far.

Even through the storms recently it never went down for me.

Also, i know some people are moving from their current wireless providers to them due to the good rep.

I'd stand by them any day.

Only thing to keep in mind is they are expanding immensly (from what i hear) and this could lead to difficulties (i.e. if they expand number of connections but don't keep in mind their backhaul)

Hope this helps you.
    Trig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyone heard anything about Broadband by Eircom throught the local exchange in Ballon, County Carlow. its about 15 miles from carlow heading for rosslaire..

I am tired of crying about it, all I want is landline Broadband ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Hi Folks,

The Glenamaddy, Co.Galway exchange has just been DSL enabled. Could this be the start of the 2007 rollout Eircom have been promising us?

Best Regards
    Jason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Shyboy wrote:
    Hi Folks,

The Glenamaddy, Co.Galway exchange has just been DSL enabled. Could this be the start of the 2007 rollout Eircom have been promising us?

Best Regards
    Jason
    Turloughmore should be on the way then, it's so annoying, every exchange around us have been enabled for ages,anybody have any news on the Turloughmore exchange?

galwayrush wrote:
    Turloughmore should be on the way then, it's so annoying, every exchange around us have been enabled for ages,anybody have any news on the Turloughmore exchange?

Glenamaddy is not on the list of 100 exchanges announced 8 months back and including Turloughmore

Glenamaddy is not on the recent list of 300 exchanges either.

Its probably from the unpublished 2005 list which included Kilcolgan and Headford and Clifden ..note

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51767098&postcount=122

None of the 100 have been done, 8 months later. As for the 300 , don't make me laugh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Aw well, no point getting excited about it until maybe 2009 then,
    I hear South Korea now has a 72MB sysytem available,and here in Modern Ireland ( the envy of Europe according to certain politicians) w are still on Diall-up,.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement