Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GOREY

I'm in Donegal and find Perlico broadband Ok, but constantly the connection is getting interrupted. I would like to upgrade or move to a better provider, if anybody has any suggestions. Ta: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

galwayrush wrote:
    Turloughmore should be on the way then, it's so annoying, every exchange around us have been enabled for ages,anybody have any news on the Turloughmore exchange?

Turloughmore is covered by Airwire now as of approx 2 months ago. Matter of fact, anywhere in a 15 km radius around Abbeyknockmoy, given that you don't have a hill or a bunch of trees in front of your house.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

looking for a wireless provider in waterford county. House is on the N25, 5 miles west of Kilmeaden. Can see portlaw in the distance as high enough

I heard of AlphaWave that cover this area. Any others or options? From eircoms site, cant get BB over phone :(

Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Yep I have to admit Net1 are useless.
    A year after applying a guy turns up to do a line of sight and told us we can get it.
    Filled the forms in and sent them back, a few weeks later the installation guys came out. After a few hours of wandering around the garden and hanging out of windows they tell us they cant pick up a signal and it looks like the guy got the line of site wrong. The line of sight guy was one of the boses I believe.
    Well thats just great, however I was then told as there are several people in the same area/road who have applied, Net1 would look at putting in a repeater and not to worry, we will get it one way or another. A couple of months later another team come out, get up a ladder point the a reciever around a bit and tell us no we cant get it.
    Left us with egg on our face as we went around telling everybody we can all get broadband from Net1
    Yep they are useless, pity really as a lot of people in the area know I am involved with computers and ask my advice on this kind of thing. So a group of us now are looking for alternatives and Eircom seem to be making the right noises.
    So I apologise to everybody when I defended Net1 and said give them a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Annestown in Waterford,

Dunlavin in Wicklow,

Ballybrittas in Laois,

Ballygarvan and Doneraile in Cork,

Charlestown and Ballindine in Mayo,

Ballymahon in Longford,

Freshford and Gracefield in Offaly,

Tiermaclane in Clare,

Greencastle and Quigley’s Point in Donegal,

Nobber in Meath,

Dunmore and Turloughmore in Galway,

Nutgrove Business Park in Dublin,

Newhall Business Park in Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Signed up for 3 MB connection ion Turloughmore, Galway, but i rang Eircom to test he line and was told the Line was only good for 1MB. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mondubics

I know most people have it in for Eircom, but it seems a bit much to have the wrong prices for broadband posted.
    http://www.eircom.ie/ check the Products section. I don't think you are quoting all the options, or the correct prices.

mondubics wrote:
    I know most people have it in for Eircom, but it seems a bit much to have the wrong prices for broadband posted.
    http://www.eircom.ie/ check the Products section. I don't think you are quoting all the options, or the correct prices.
    The prices for all the isps are waaaay out of date, not just Eircom.

Keeping them updated would be an impossible task with all the different permutations of packages/prices and frequent price changes aswell as all the new isp that have popped up since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

galwayrush wrote:
    Signed up for 3 MB connection ion Turloughmore, Galway, but i rang Eircom to test he line and was told the Line was only good for 1MB. :confused:

Eircom's service is rate-adaptive. Even if your line passes, you might even get less than 1 mbit/s and there is nothing you can do about it. On top of that, your upstream on a 1 mbit line is only 128 kbit, no better than ISDN and you're capped to 10 GB/month.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Guys, do you know if broadband is going to be available around the Kinnegad/Edenderry area?

• Advertisement

Guys, do you know if broadband is going to be available around the Kinnegad/Edenderry area?
    The Kinnegad and Edenderry exchanges already have broadband. Did you check your line or are you too far out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Checked it after I had posted that. Seems that I'm too far out. Located between the two but we don't seem close enough to get it. There's another exchange near us but that wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Checked it after I had posted that. Seems that I'm too far out. Located between the two but we don't seem close enough to get it. There's another exchange near us but that wouldn't make a difference, would it?
    Go to www.smarttelecom.ie and put your number into the line checker. It will tell you what exchange you're connected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rickybutcher

Somebody is asking me about broadband in Johnstown, Meath. I've checked with a few places but nowhere has coverage there. It's wireless broadband they are after. Does anybody know of a company offering broadband in Johnstown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was about to tell Kaizersoze that the Smart Telecom line checker had stopped giving out the exchange name as of a few weeks ago, but it's working again... That's handy.

Aedh Baclamh, do as Kaizersoze said and then tell us what exchange you're on please.

Rickybutcher, I think the mobile operators internet products would be the only choice out that direction. I'm not familiar with the area so there may still be one or 2 companies serving the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Somebody is asking me about broadband in Johnstown, Meath. I've checked with a few places but nowhere has coverage there. It's wireless broadband they are after. Does anybody know of a company offering broadband in Johnstown?

A while back I saw a sign for Ice Broadband in Johnstown Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

viperlogic wrote:
    looking for a wireless provider in waterford county. House is on the N25, 5 miles west of Kilmeaden. Can see portlaw in the distance as high enough

I heard of AlphaWave that cover this area. Any others or options? From eircoms site, cant get BB over phone :(

Please help!
    viperlogic,

Any luck getting bb?
    I am currently going through the options. One company I'm looking at is Ardmore Technologies. I must have a look at Alphawave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

goo wrote:
    (Possibly a stupid question)

What's a contention rate?

The number of people at any given time that could potentially be using the same connection setup that you are, in so many words.

Its a bit like the road. If the road is empty, it takes 20 minutes to get from Wicklow to the Dublin Airport.

But at 9am on Monday morning, it takes a bit longer. More traffic, more contention.

48:1 is bad, 24:1 is better.

Thats the general picture anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

galwayrush wrote:

Same as myself. Better than nothing though considering I'm a fair distance away from the exchange.

Ordered mine this week and should have in 2 weeks. Let's see that turn into 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

killucan co westmeath is on the list of excahnges to be done this year anyone know when we can expect it.

there is no wireless provider there is a crowd in kinegad but i dont think i would get that line of site and its to expensive anyway.

and none of the 3 mobile bb have 3g coverage in the village or surrounding aeras.

i am just about a mile from the exchange that should be near enuff shouldnt it i get a rock solid 46.6k dial up and have done for years.

thats if the ever bother to turn it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You'll have no problems with any package, unless there's some sort of line fault or dodgy internal wiring. You'll pass the test anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 brettman

Any leads on how to get decent broadband in Rush? I've tried the Digiweb (staffed by the stupidest people I've ever encountered outside of B&Q) 'mobile' option, which is worse than a modem dialup. Does sky possibly have inet via satellite? Is there any hope for me? I've just bought a new house out there and am feeling pretty low for lack of inet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Fatboy - I am informed by my sources in eircom that Killucan is due to be launched in late October or early November. If I get a better update nearer the date I'll post it here.

thanks for that grommet i will keep a eye here for updates

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Hi I wonder if anyone of yee could help me. I am connected to the internet since june 2006 tru my direct phone line and only get on average 14Kbps speed. When I origionally got connected, Eircom said that broadband should be available in My area within 6 months, but that never happened.
    I am connected to the Baltinglass exchange and although broadband is available in the town of Baltinglass, it is not available where I live, (3miles from baltinglass in the dirction of Grange Con and behind a big Hill)
    I am paying €30 an month to eircom for the 150hr per month package, and I keep hearing adds on radio about broadband for less than that.
    Anyone any advice where I might be able to get connected from. I know most people on here talk about 1mb and 3 mb, but to be honest anything quicker than the 14Kbps would be a Godsend to me as just connecting to a different page on this site takes around 3 - 5 minutes.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Still nothing decent available in Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

just wondering does anybody know when eircom broadband will be in rhode offaly. cant get any decent broadband here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

A little birdie told me that the exchange in Killucan is "scheduled" for 2008 as is Rhode. So that probably means 2009/10.

the killucan exchange is on the list for this year and i was told during the week it could be sooner rather than later

but i wont hold my breath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

any one know about the roundwood exchange in wicklow was on first 100 list and was to be done by now but with the larger exchange list have no idea when

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement