Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

My sources tell me that Killucan is still on target for October
    Rhode looks like being January of possibly February (there are apparently some issues with the transmission links into the site that have delayed it)

Varik,
    I am being told that Roundwood is apparently a really tricky one because of the local terrain - they need to run fibre to the site to be able to support DSL and there are lots of local planning issues with running this. It looks like it is going to be March or April before it is ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

can't be that late the list they gave out show roundwood to be done in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

Rozie wrote:
    Still nothing decent available in Clare?

ShannonBroadband should finish the last leg of the network in Kilrush before Christmas. What that means is anyone's guess - ? are we going to get good, independent (of eircom) BB coverage which will not only compete with eircom but make the hoors open their wallets and fork out a few quid on upgrading the network we stupidly sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Airwire has provisioned a new basestation in Caherlistrane, Co. Galway today.

This should cover the last gaps towards Shrule, Corrandulla, parts around Headford and Caherlistrane itself.

Landmark for checking coverage is the water reservoir in Caherlistrane. If you can see that from a roof-level, there is no problems in getting service.

For more thorough coverage map, please check http://www.airwire.ie/coverage

/Martin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ripcat

Hi folks.

I have recently moved into the Kilcullen area of Kildare and signed up for the 3MB broadband from BT. It works fine most of the off-peak times, but in the evening Im getting as little as 10kbps download. Contention ratio is 48:1 and I'm talking to NTL atm to check out their 6MB 24:1 service. I dont need 6Mbit but theres no point in having broadband if I cant get higher thatn 10kbps in the evening time. (6pm-11pm).

Has anyone any suggestions or experience with service providers in the Kilcullen area? Are NTL good or bad as a provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Grommet wrote: »
    Varik,
    I am being told that Roundwood is apparently a really tricky one because of the local terrain - they need to run fibre to the site to be able to support DSL and there are lots of local planning issues with running this. It looks like it is going to be March or April before it is ready.

Hmm does this mean that the Glendalough exchange (Trooperstown?) won't upgrade either until Roundwood is sorted out or is that coming via a different route?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tiamant888

Try www.OmniTel.ie, worked for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

brettman wrote: »
    Any leads on how to get decent broadband in Rush? I've tried the Digiweb (staffed by the stupidest people I've ever encountered outside of B&Q) 'mobile' option, which is worse than a modem dialup. Does sky possibly have inet via satellite? Is there any hope for me? I've just bought a new house out there and am feeling pretty low for lack of inet....

hi there, i am considering Digiweb for Rush. Is it really bad? what did you go for when you went for another provider? any advice appreciated!!
    S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Hi

Any idea when Crusheen exchange, Co Clare will be upgraded?

Or will we back in the broadband dark ages for another 12 months??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Fatboy - Killucan is live (or will be in the morning) so you shouls be able to get DSL now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

glineli wrote: »
    Hi

End of 2008, at least, from the info I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

kaizersoze wrote: »
    End of 2008, at least, from the info I have.

End of 2008, good lord!!

Cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

yeah got a big susprise when i was doing a line test and it said suitable for bradband tried to order it on line but it didnt work so ordered it over the phone.

the person on the other end had really bad english and was saying something about needed a tech to do something in the exchange.

said i should have the modem in a few days and the will ring when it works hopefully it will.
    35notout wrote: »
    Fatboy - Killucan is live (or will be in the morning) so you shouls be able to get DSL now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Anybody know when the Milltown exchange will be enabled, was supposed to be done by the end of 07. Rang eircom but might as well be talking to a monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

I'd love to know when it will come to Milltown Co. Kerry as well ... I've been plaguing Eircom for over 2 years .... they even told me in July that the exchenge would be upgraded by September ... surprise surpeise when I called in October , our exchange has mysteriously disappeared off the list ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Roundwood was being upgraded yesterday if anyone care had to get line fix and enginneer said

glineli wrote: »
    Hi

I am reliably informed that Crusheen is actually scheduled for the first quarter of 2008. Apparently the local community submitted a petition to eircom and that did the trick in moving it up their list

As for Milltown in Kerry - I see that is also on the list of the 319 exchanges that eircom announced earlier this year - though I have no idea why anyone would have told you it was due in 2007. The press release stated that those exchanges would be rolled out over 2 years. I understand from my sources that Milltown is scheduled for late summer 2008.

Varik wrote: »
    Roundwood was being upgraded yesterday if anyone care had to get line fix and enginneer said

Varik, I am afraid that the message you got from the eircom engineer is a bit premature. The DSLAM may be in the process of being installed in the exchange, but I know for a fact that the transmission links into that area are not up to standard for DSL yet. eircom is pulling in new fibre into that area and with all the civil works and wayleave etc that is required, this is unlikely to be finished before Spring 2008.

So you can be sure that there will be no launch of DSL at Roundwood I am afraid until April or May at the earliest I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oceangirl

we have EIRCOM here in Balbriggan and the ping just sucks at night. anybody has the same experience? how is digiweb in the area? would anybody recommend it for online gaming??? any advice is welcome :cool:

• Advertisement

Grommet wrote: »
    As for Milltown in Kerry - I see that is also on the list of the 319 exchanges that eircom announced earlier this year - though I have no idea why anyone would have told you it was due in 2007. The press release stated that those exchanges would be rolled out over 2 years. I understand from my sources that Milltown is scheduled for late summer 2008.

Thanks for the update, I thought Milltown was on the 1st list of 100. Might have to bite the bullet and go with wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Eircom say exchange enabled before Christmas - should I believe them????

Have 3 3G card - have 2 days before get out - otherwise I am on contract for 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Eircom say exchange enabled before Christmas - should I believe them????

Have 3 3G card - have 2 days before get out - otherwise I am on contract for 12 months

You should have no problem canceling the three card according to what three have been saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may ONLY cancel the rubbish 3 service IF you specifically mention that you read about it on Boards.ie , otherwise they prattle some lies and threats at you .

Grommet kindly provided an update elsewhere on the List of 100 exchanges
    , now 40% done.

ARDMORE
    ANNESTOWN
    BALLA
    BALLYBRITTAS
    BALLYCLOUGH
    BALLYGARVAN
    BALLYMAHON
    BALLINDINE
    BALLYLINAN
    CHARLESTOWN
    CARRIGART
    CASTLEGARREN
    CASTLEMARTYR
    DUNMORE
    DUNLAVIN
    DONERAILE
    FRESHFORD
    FAHAN
    GARRISTOWN
    GREENCASTLE
    JULIANSTOWN
    KILMACRENAN
    KILCORMAC
    KILLESHANDRA
    KILLUCAN
    KILLYGORDON
    LOMBARDSTOWN
    MOUNTCHARLES
    MANORCUNNINGHAM
    MUFF
    NOBBER
    PALLASKENRY
    QUIGLEYS POINT
    RATHKEALE
    ROSSCAHILL
    RATHVILLY
    TIERMACLANE
    TIMOLEAGUE
    TURLOUGHMORE

For completeness, the following sites have also been launched in the last few months (not included on the published list of 100)

ARDREW
    COLPE CROSS
    DEEPFORDE
    GRACEFIELD
    KILBRECK
    NUTGROVE
    NEWHALL BUSINESS PK
    ST JOHNS ROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Has anyone any idea when the Killerig Cross Exchange (Carlow) will be upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

scatriona wrote: »
    hi there, i am considering Digiweb for Rush. Is it really bad? what did you go for when you went for another provider? any advice appreciated!!
    S

As far as I know Ice Broadband are on a big hill close the Naul and I have a few friends in Lusk who have it and are relatively happy. If you can see that mast you might be able to get a signal.

555guy wrote: »
    I'd love to know when it will come to Milltown Co. Kerry as well ... I've been plaguing Eircom for over 2 years .... they even told me in July that the exchenge would be upgraded by September ... surprise surpeise when I called in October , our exchange has mysteriously disappeared off the list ......

What kind of internet connection are you currently using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

the exchange in killucan wont be live till the 9th still waiting for my modem 2 weeks now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Happy news
    Shrule & Roscahill exchange all broadbanded up on 1st Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi there,

Does anybody know when this exhange is to be enabled?

Thanks,
    Keith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement