Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Anyone know when the telephone exchange in Valleymount Co Wicklow will supply broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Any idea if the Meanus exchange in Co. Limerick is even scheduled to be enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Sorry for the late reply fellahs. Here is the news I have from eircom re DSL at the exchanges menetioned above:

Clonlara - due for DSL later this month

Vallymount and Meanus - sorry - no plans for DSL at these exchanges (eircom estimates that they are not commercially viable).

I presume that they should be covered under the Government's National Broadband Scheme - though timeline for enabling exchanges under that initiative is late 2008 at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any news on Glendalough exchange?, was supposed to be done this year..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Grommet wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply fellahs. Here is the news I have from eircom re DSL at the exchanges menetioned above:

Clonlara - due for DSL later this month

Vallymount and Meanus - sorry - no plans for DSL at these exchanges (eircom estimates that they are not commercially viable).

I presume that they should be covered under the Government's National Broadband Scheme - though timeline for enabling exchanges under that initiative is late 2008 at the earliest.

Well done - thanks for your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone know whats available for Ballykea (between Skerries & Laoghshinny) , Looking for complete package , TV/Broadband/Phone ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark_Rawlings@l

Monivea Co. Galway
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to when/whether Monivea may get upgraded. It was on the list of 100 earlier, but its December and no sign...
    Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi, does anyone know when Carbury, Co.Kildare will be enabled, thanks in advance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

The Mullagh Exchange has actually been enable.
    Now happy surfing, got the modem yesterday and away we go.

Mark

Longfield wrote: »
    Any news on Glendalough exchange?, was supposed to be done this year..

Hi Longfield, I understand that Glendalough is due for launch next week

• Advertisement

Monivea Co. Galway
    Does anyone have any knowledge as to when/whether Monivea may get upgraded. It was on the list of 100 earlier, but its December and no sign...
    Thanks,

Mark, Monivea is also due to launch next week

Hi, does anyone know when Carbury, Co.Kildare will be enabled, thanks in advance...

Hi.. ehm, Man in a skirt (hmmm, I'd better not ask.)

I am told that there is a specific issue with the transmission link into Carbury - apparently some of eircom's fibre network needs to be re-routed to get enough capacity to launch DSL there - so it has slipped into January.

The good news is that they seem pretty confident that it will be completed in January however.

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Hi all,

Any news on Clonlara, Co. Clare - I believe it has been put back until end of this month? Anybody have an update or where to get it??
    Eircom sales staff are poor enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark_Rawlings@l

Mark, Monivea is also due to launch next week

Many thanks,
    I'll confirm as soon as I get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Hi Grommet,

thanks for the reply to my post....I have Ice at the moment but due to contention I only get less than 100kbs most of the time so I'm desperate to get DSL, mainly for reliability and XBOXLIVE.....

P.S. my user name is due to me being from Glasgow and always get slagged for the old kilt thing....lol

Hi Longfield, I understand that Glendalough is due for launch next week

That's fantastic news!, thanks Grommet.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any news on Clonlara, Co. Clare - I believe it has been put back until end of this month? Anybody have an update or where to get it??
    Eircom sales staff are poor enough

Keith - good news - Clonlara is on for launch next week as well.

Going to be a big week apparently - around 20 sites due to launch - just in time for Christmas! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks for that Grommet!

Where are you getting this info?? :)

Do you know the best way of finding out when it's defo on??? Again Eircom sales staff are slightly clueless?

Am I best ordering my phoneline now? They have established that my house (new build) - is already wired up - and said dial 19000 to find out my number

Keith

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Grommet!

Where are you getting this info?? :)

Do you know the best way of finding out when it's defo on??? Again Eircom sales staff are slightly clueless?

Am I best ordering my phoneline now? They have established that my house (new build) - is already wired up - and said dial 19000 to find out my number

Keith

I get the info from a very reliable source in eircom.
    It is usually announced in local papers and I know that local sales agents are informed - so sometimes they park a van in the main street of the local town and hand out flyers - that sort of stuff.
    Anyway - if I get a chance, I will post something on here next week when I get the word that they have launched all 20 or whatever number of sites.

I guess you should go ahead and get your phone line - though a word of caution - it may take a week or two for your phone number to appear on their pre-qualification system (the one that checks all lines to see if they are capable of handling DSL). So you may or may not be able to order broadband until that occurs.

Hi All,

Hot off the presses - I have just got my hands on a list of the 14 exchanges that eircom is planning to launch next Tuesday,18th December. They are:

CAMOLIN
    CASTLEPOLLARD
    CLONLARA
    CRETTYARD
    DURROW
    FERNS
    GLENDALOUGH
    GLIN
    GORESBRIDGE
    KILLINICK
    KILWORTH
    MONIVEA
    PATRICKSWELL
    TYRRELLSPASS

There's also another 9 that apparently they are also trying to finish off so that they can launch them by the end of next week in time for Christmas. So no guarantees on these ones, but here's the list anyway:

BALLON
    BORRISOLEIGH
    KILDORRERY
    KILLURIN
    KILMACOW
    KILSHEELIN
    KINVARA
    LIXNAW
    MULLINAVAT

Note: if they do get all of these launched next week, they will have completed 84 of the exchanges from the list of 100 that they published last year.
    The rest are due to be finished in early to mid 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well A Bit Late mr Eircom!
    I had BB nearby in an office since the week esat launched in Limerick, about the same time eircom launced in Dublin.

Over 6 years eircom could not reliably supply dialup from the exchange 900m away. I'm just over two years on Metro and over a year without the eircom line.

Still I'm sure some people will finally benefit from the exchange getting enabled. The trigger program required about 140% to sign up of eircom households on the exchange :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 aideng

Hi

Any sign of Kiltulla exchange in Galway being upgraded?

Cheers

Aiden

aideng wrote: »
    Hi

Any sign of Kiltulla exchange in Galway being upgraded?

Cheers

Aiden

yes, it's on the list of 319 sites announced by eircom earlier in the year - but unfortunately for you, according to my source, it probably won't be live until early 2009 as there is a major network upgrade needed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Looks like they are a day ahead of schedule :
    db wrote: »
    Just checked my line and broadband is now available in Clonlara

Well what can i say!!

I just checked my line and finally, yes finally GLENDALOUGH IS A GO!!
    Come 09:00AM tomorrow I'm on the blower gettin me some broadband yeeehaw!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Line suitable for Broadband

Just picked myself off the floor.............. 4 words i could never imagine being written.......... now to decide who to get...... :D

*patrickswell exchange* btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

whats GLENDALOUGH need with broadband ,stupid tower (went on school trips there every year, anger lots of anger)

used to live in patrickswell(crap why did i move)

Roundwood set for march 08 have been waiting for broadband since 2000 back when a eircom support guy i asked called it wideband

am praying for bad things to happen to them now

if your an employee grommet i'll exclude you or any people you like in eircom cuz you helpfull

Varik wrote: »
    Roundwood set for march 08 have been waiting for broadband since 2000 back when a eircom support guy i asked called it wideband

hi Varik - don't be too angry mate - at the end of the day you live in a beautiful part of the country and hey - at least it's not snowing! ;)

I checked with my mates in eircom on the progress in Roundwood - things are progressing, but I am told that there is still a lot of work to do to get the fibre connected on the poles along the mountain roads there. The DSL kit is ready, but without the fibre connection, it cannot be commissioned. So it may be a bit later than March before it is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Since when did eircom put fibre on poles? It's a good idea if they are as it's pretty quick and cheap, though not the easiest to repair...

• Advertisement

they do it where they are allowed to by the local councils. Outside of cities (where running it through existing ducts is the way to go) it's much cheaper than burying it. Unfortunately, a lot of councils disapprove for aesthetic reasons.

As an aside - one of the reasons why Japan is so far ahead of the world in FTTH is because almost all of their fibre is run overhead on poles. Looks horrible, but easy and low cost to run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement