Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

strongr wrote: »
    hi grommit, do you know if the Rosses Point , sligo exchange is going to be updated this year?

It's on their list, but I understand it needs a radio link upgrade, so I'm afraid you are probably looking at the end of 2008.

davmigil wrote: »
    Checked that again and it is the CELD exchange. Wherever that is!

I think you are being given misleading information there. There is a small remote subscriber unit (RSU) in Ardclough - i.e. a "mini exchange" in a cabinet that is parented off Celbridge. It is probably the case that on the telepony systems records in eircom your number is showing up under Celbridge, however your line (plus those of your neighbours) were probably cut over to this RSU some time ago and the records have not been updated properly to reflect this.

If you send me the first 4 or 5 digits of your number I can confirm this for you with my contacts there (you don't have to send me your full number if you are concerned about privacy)

The BAD news I am afraid is that if you are connected to the Ardclough RSU I am told that there are only about 120 lines connected there and therefore there are no current plans to enable DSL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Grommet, I thought it was the case that Eircom didn't enable any RSU's for ADSL...least that was the case in 2006 I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 disconnect

Grommet, would you be able to find out when the exchange in Lemybrien, Co Waterford will be broadband enabled ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Grommet, any chance of a list of exchanges to be upgraded this month and next? I am still waiting on crusheen, co clare. fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Grommet, I thought it was the case that Eircom didn't enable any RSU's for ADSL...least that was the case in 2006 I believe?

Not the case - I don't know the numbers exactly, but I know that many of the 568 exchanges that they have launched for DSL are actually RSU's - in some cases roadside cabinets - with the DSLAM being put in a cabinet next to the RSU.

disconnect wrote: »
    Grommet, would you be able to find out when the exchange in Lemybrien, Co Waterford will be broadband enabled ?

I am told that Lemybrien will probably be some time before end of June'08 - I cannot get a firm date as they are only in the first stages of planning this.

glineli wrote: »
    Grommet, any chance of a list of exchanges to be upgraded this month and next? I am still waiting on crusheen, co clare. fingers crossed

I have checked on Crusheen for you and am told it is planned to be one of the first of the 319 to be done this year - probably mid to late March.

Beyond that - they won't give me a list because they don't want to raise too many expectations for sites that might end up being delayed due to unforseen issues. The only ones I can confirm are definitely due in the next few weeks are:

Killenard
    Carbury
    Rhode
    Batterstown

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Grommet wrote: »
    Not the case - I don't know the numbers exactly, but I know that many of the 568 exchanges that they have launched for DSL are actually RSU's - in some cases roadside cabinets - with the DSLAM being put in a cabinet next to the RSU.

ok cool, good to know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's very tough on that guy in Ardclough.

Grommet, if it was an established line in the area before the RSU came along, you'd need the full phone number to tell if the line was transferred to an RSU. That's what I've seen in Drogheda anyway.

Anyway, that RSU was put in for an estate I'd imagine. I can't see eircom transferring lines that would have been long but within limits to an RSU which would never be enabled. Any lines that I've seen transferred to RSUs were done after the RSU was enabled.

If it's the case that the line is older and used to be connected to the central Celbridge exchange, I'd be very peed off with eircom right now.

So what's so expensive about enabling an RSU if it's already provisioned with fibre? Small DSLAMS are relatively cheap these days. Yet it took a lot of effort and campaigning by more than one local representative to get one DSL-enabled in Drogheda, as well as a visible demonstration of demand with all the FWA antennae about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 iainmacl

I have checked on Crusheen for you and am told it is planned to be one of the first of the 319 to be done this year - probably mid to late March.

Beyond that - they won't give me a list because they don't want to raise too many expectations for sites that might end up being delayed due to unforseen issues. The only ones I can confirm are definitely due in the next few weeks are:

Killenard
    Carbury
    Rhode
    Batterstown
    What are the chances of any availablity in near future(/ever) for Tullokyne/Knocknorth/Knockferry in Co. Galway? Lots of desperate people there moving into new houses!!

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,535 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads my village is doing a petition to get eircom broadband in our area
    how many people would it take to interest eircom in coming

right now its 78 people with more to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me when broadband will be enabled on the Carbury Co. Kildare exchange?
    When I ring Eircom I get the usual shi*e :mad: that its on the list and it will be enabled soon. In fact they have said this for the last two years and nothing has happened. Anyway I'm getting pretty sick of 28k bogband and I'm wondering if anyone can give a better time frame than the pretty much useless people at eircom?

the first four digits of my phone number are 9553 if that helps

Edit: Its even more annoying that there is broadband five miles away in Edenderry and in johnstown-bridge..... GRRRRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

hi grommet, my local exchane is moyvore westmeath really in the sticks any chance of it being upgraded soon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

Killenard
    Carbury
    Rhode
    Batterstown

Just heard the 24th of March 2008 is the day?????, but don't quote me on it, just had a guy from Eircom Broadband at the doras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ahh at last a date!! Why I could'nt eircom tell me that themselves I wonder??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

landyman wrote: »
    Ahh at last a date!! Why I could'nt eircom tell me that themselves I wonder??

He did say that all areas available from the Carbury exchange would be live at that date. Did also confirm that only 2mb was available from Eircom residential, so let the mass exidos begin, all follow the lead sheep to BT, Perlico, IBB, etc......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

grommet,

see the exchange in Ballygar in Galway is on the list to be enabled. Any estimate for when this should be enabled? I'm currently on Airwire's wireless service, but it's very expensive for only 512K.

Cheers for any info you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Can one of the mods clear the first post in this thread, its may cause people a minor hear attack reading that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

I am told that Lemybrien will probably be some time before end of June'08 - I cannot get a firm date as they are only in the first stages of planning this.

Hello Grommet, Would this mean that the Rathgormack, Co Waterford exchange should be upgraded before end of June too? Logistically it would make sense!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

iainmacl wrote: »
    What are the chances of any availablity in near future(/ever) for Tullokyne/Knocknorth/Knockferry in Co. Galway? Lots of desperate people there moving into new houses!!

Is it called Tullykyne or Tullokyne or Wormhole exchange ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

BigEejit wrote: »
    Can one of the mods clear the first post in this thread, its may cause people a minor hear attack reading that :D

In fairness, it does show how poor it was a few years ago, and unfortunately still is in most places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

Anyone know when / if cable is available is remote regions outside waterford =) ie. mooncoin

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lawlerp

Does anybody know when Castleblakeney Exchange in Galway is due to be enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I'm just outside Monivea, Co. Galway (between Monivea and Athenry, really). About 2.75 miles from the Monivea exchange, but Eircom still tell me my line is unsuitable for broadband. Anyone know if this exchange is being upgraded to DSL2 and, if so, will this actually allow me to get a decent connection, given the >1.25 mile range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Garibaldi wrote: »
    I'm just outside Monivea, Co. Galway (between Monivea and Athenry, really). About 2.75 miles from the Monivea exchange, but Eircom still tell me my line is unsuitable for broadband. Anyone know if this exchange is being upgraded to DSL2 and, if so, will this actually allow me to get a decent connection, given the >1.25 mile range?

Is your line split? ie. is your dailup speed lower than 30?
    If it is then no form of BB will work.
    If not then your line is either sh1te or they're is a problem in your house thats causing the test to fail.
    You should be able to get 1meg at that distance.

My cousin on the Monivea exchange (further out than you) showed a 'Pass, subject to confirmation' for a few days after the exchange was enabled but is failing since. She has wireless from Airwire so she's not too bothered atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

Hi, just to add to the thread, some the lines served by the exchange outside of Ballymacarbry, Co.Waterford have been enabled :) they said the rest should be done in due course (..hopefully anyway..)

bf1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Is your line split? ie. is your dailup speed lower than 30?

I don't know if the line is split, I'm afraid. What does that mean, and how would I find out? Now, this may seem like an obvious issue and, any other day, I'd advocate shooting the ignorant ;), but would the fact that the line isn't actually connected to my house, yet, be an influencing factor? It's there, on the street, but won't be connected to the house until tomorrow (13/2/08). I haven't fully moved into the house yet, but there *is* a testable number, given by Eircom, that I've been using on the Eircom/BT sites.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    My cousin on the Monivea exchange (further out than you) showed a 'Pass, subject to confirmation' for a few days after the exchange was enabled but is failing since. She has wireless from Airwire so she's not too bothered atm.

What kind of latency would you get with an Airwire connection, anyone know? I have a suspicion that I looked at Airwire before, but they were very expensive, at the time.

I take it that Grommet is the local expert on all things Eircom, so hopefully you can answer the DSL2 question.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Garibaldi wrote:
    but would the fact that the line isn't actually connected to my house, yet, be an influencing factor?
    A crucial detail you left out.:p

You need an active/connected line before it can be tested. Even then it can take up to a month after connection before it's automatically tested, unless you can talk them into doing it sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

Does anyone know how to find out which Eircom exchanges are going to be enabled/upgraded next? All I can get from the company are the press releases of exchanges already enabled and countless phone calls have proven unsuccessful.
    I'm specifically interested in Kilmaley, Co. Clare.
    This exchange is on the list from early 2007(?) of exchanges that were to be enabled as soon as possible but nothing yet!

Thanks in advance...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement