Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Welease wrote: »
    Well I just got connected today. Am on the Coonagh side of Derrinturn. Line attenuation is poor at 50/30 and i kept dropping DSL and it wouldnt reconnect with the modem plugged into my office line. Have moved the modem to the main line now, and the attenuation is still the same, but it has remained connected for the last hour. Fingers crossed.. Is the copper around here crap?
    This annoys me, Eircom have left a job half done, as usual the joe soaps have to pick up the slack. They say the exchange is broadband enabled but the lines arent. I have to battle my way through chokerblok traffic in Edenderry to get to the internet cafe, just to send an email or download something important, or just for reasearch. This has gone far enough

Maybe grommet would be able to shed some light on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does anyone have any further info on the Gortnagowna exchange between Roscrea and Templemore and what sort of work needs to be done on installing equipment??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Spoke to the eircom lads down at the exchange. they said they are currently working on it, however the transmission gear needs to be replaced. is this a big job, as big as getting the exchange broadband enabled or is this something that eircom normally address quick enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grommet wrote: »
    I checked with my mates in eircom on the progress in Roundwood - things are progressing, but I am told that there is still a lot of work to do to get the fibre connected on the poles along the mountain roads there. The DSL kit is ready, but without the fibre connection, it cannot be commissioned. So it may be a bit later than March before it is finished.

Eircom were up along the road to roundwood with a few teams of people doing stuff to the poles the whole way to roundwood last week

any idea if it was the fibre

whats speed will that get people near the exchange if it fibre all the way to the exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

If they are 'up poles' then it is unlikely it is fibre. They don't tend to use fibre except in extremis on exterior lines, too much risk of disruptions (?) I stand to be corrected by this with more direct knowledge....

Bye, Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Judging from how fragile fibre is, I doubt Eircom would have it hanging from poles in the wind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Hi. Anyone know if eircom are planning to enable any more exchanges in rural Waterford? I live in Bunmahon and 3 exhanges around us have gone online but no word on where I live!

Anyone know anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Hey grommet i ask you awhile ago about the rosses point exchange in sligo. Could you see if theres any update on it

Thanks very much,

Connal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Bellharbour basestation was enabled yesterday, covering Bellharbour, Mortyclough and the remainder of Finvarra, that wasn't covered.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/coverage

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Judging from how fragile fibre is, I doubt Eircom would have it hanging from poles in the wind!!

Many kilometres of it happily hanging in the air for years ....

3 January, 2002 :

http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release106.jsp

• Advertisement

bushy... wrote: »
    Many kilometres of it happily hanging in the air for years ....

And here is the Video how they did it: ESB wiring fiber (AVI)

/Martin

What happens if that engine runs out of petrol half way accross!!
    What exactly is it doing? Its obviously spinning some sort of wire around another wire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

What happens if that engine runs out of petrol half way accross!!
    What exactly is it doing? Its obviously spinning some sort of wire around another wire?

It's wrapping fibre around high-tension power lines , saved them a load of hassle.

bushy... wrote: »
    It's wrapping fibre around high-tension power lines , saved them a load of hassle.
    Ah...so in essence its not just hanging there like a piece of phone wire in the wind strung between 2 poles. It secured around another piece of high tension wire.

Ah...so in essence its not just hanging there like a piece of phone wire in the wind strung between 2 poles. It secured around another piece of high tension wire.

Correct. And because it's wrapped around like a spiral, it can actually cope with the movement of the high tension wire.

/Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

not sure if this has been posted here, but is there a distance limit between the eircom exchanges and the end telephone ports e.g. 3-4 KM.
    or do eircom plan to get around this. I know my exchange (summerhill/meath) has been upgraded but as yet my line is not suitable....:mad: :mad:

maxy jazz wrote: »
    not sure if this has been posted here, but is there a distance limit between the eircom exchanges and the end telephone ports e.g. 3-4 KM.
    or do eircom plan to get around this. I know my exchange (summerhill/meath) has been upgraded but as yet my line is not suitable....:mad: :mad:

I'm sure the techies on here will correct me but I think this figure is not etched in stone, it depends on a lot of things such as the number of junctions, state of the wires, etc. I also know that in other countries there is no such limit mentioned, it is possible to connect almost anybody by tuning the circuits.

IMO, eircon use this figure as 'put off' when they have too many applications.

Bye, Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Anyone know if or when Eircom are planning to upgrade the exchange at Ballytore, Co Kildare. I rang Eircom and while the exchange is on some list they would give no indication of when the work might take place.

Eircom don't actually have a distance limit per se. They have a thing called an attenuation limit, which is basically how badly the copper wires weaken the signal. Naturally, the longer the wire the signal travels through, the greater the attenuation.

A more technical view: A single unbroken pair of eircom's standard cabling has an attenuation of 12 dB/km. Eircom's limit is somewhere around 95 or 100dB, so that means the current range is about 8km. If there's junctions in the wires or loose cabling or a slight short circuit for example, the attenuation will be higher again and the working distance will be shorter than expected.

I believe BT in the UK have a very similar setup when it comes to distance. Any line above about 75 dB has a DSL signal repeater installed, and even that won't work at distances approaching 9 or 10 km. The thing is, that BT brought in that idea about 3 years ago, eircom did it last year:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i was wondering if anyone can help me on this please. i am looking to get broadband from eircom. i want the 6 mg package. anyway, i was told that my line quality isnt good enough as there is only a 50/50 per cent chance that 1mg will work on it. most of my neighbours have eircom broadband. i am in dublin. i was told that i could get my line strenghtened and this would work but when i called eircom i was told that they never heard of this. i was told by one person that i could pay to get a new line installed for over 150 euro but then another person in there told me that that wasnt the case?

i am at a loss as what to do. anyway know anything about this?

thanks.

• Advertisement

Eircom don't actually have a distance limit per se. They have a thing called an attenuation limit, which is basically how badly the copper wires weaken the signal. Naturally, the longer the wire the signal travels through, the greater the attenuation.

That assumes that there is a continuous circuit between the last point where a DSL signal can be delivered and the customers equipment, does it not? Any multiplexing or other funny introduced to provide 'better service' will negate any dB calculation.

Apropos tabatha's question (next message) the answer is directly related to the dB issue. IMO, 6Mb or anything approaching it requires tuning of the specific circuit by eircom, and they don't, IMO, bother where the circuit is 'domestic' i.e. is in a residential area, 'cos in most cases the quality of the circuits is poorish, compared to an office block, where there may well be fibre close by.

In general terms, more innovative service suppliers (or suppliers in places where the regulator has some teeth), install line improvement equipment in street level boxes, for example, thereby providing customers with a shorter circuit to a DSL quality trunk. I don't think eircom make a habit of doing that.

Bye, Barry

There's no assumption being made there. The DSLAM in the exchange does not work depending on distance, it depends mainly on line attenuation and SNR, and the DSLAM cannot work out how long a line is, as a 10km line with thick wiring for example will have similar attenuation to a 6km line with thinner attenuation.

There will always be an attenuation limit between the last repeater or DSLAM on the line and the DSL modem. All you're talking about there is just bringing the operator DSL equipment closer to the consumer, it will still have to be close enough to have satisfactory attenuation.

How do you know that eircom doesn't install line improvement equipment in cabinets? I have it on record that they were looking into the use of DSL repeaters about 3 years ago. I also know that the priory park and I think dundrum exchange areas are having their cabinets upgraded with fibre. Eircom plans to roll out this fibre to more exchange areas in Dublin. Probably all of the main ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,535 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads whats the newest list eircom have for upgrading exchanges

i rang eircom yesterday and for the first time my exchange was mentioned to be done in August

i live in golden co tipperary

it the first time eircom ever gave me a month for upgrading my exchange it was always your area is not on the list

i should probly not get my hopes up

How do you know that eircom doesn't install line improvement equipment in cabinets? I have it on record that they were looking into the use of DSL repeaters about 3 years ago. I also know that the priory park and I think dundrum exchange areas are having their cabinets upgraded with fibre. Eircom plans to roll out this fibre to more exchange areas in Dublin. Probably all of the main ones.

I didn't 'know' I was working on the basis that the number of messages on here and elsewhere regarding yes/no/maybe messages from eircom would lead one to conclude that they don't have enough gear in cabinets, and since cabinets are numerous in residential areas.....
    The whole issue is the result of a lack of committment by eircom in its various guises since it was privatised (not to speak of the period when it was public) coupled with a lack of will by ComReg in its various guises and a lack of understanding by policy makers on the importance of getting the incumbent to invest in the network.
    It really doesn't bear thinking about that France Telecom, for many years the joke of Europe, once it was decided at a political level, now provides what they call 'nude' ADSL to third party operators at their nearest DSLAM uptake point, i.e. they hand over your line to the third party people at a mutually convenient point and charge them a rental depending on the location/distance. The result? FT is still responsible for the line quality, that is what they are getting paid for, and the third party is not required to make investments which duplicate FT's, a much more intelligent solution. Since FT gets paid they are incentivised to provide the best quality they can and are also in a position, since they have the revenue, to upgrade whole cabinets/exchanges and then try to get the business back, so the pricing is sharp and the technical offer is continually being upgraded.
    What can't we have something like that....??

sorry bout this guys....im not the best at all this tech stuff :o, so can you tell me does all this mean that i cant get upgraded by eircom to receive anything bigger than 1meg?

im at a complete loss. thanks.

tabatha wrote: »
    sorry bout this guys....im not the best at all this tech stuff :o, so can you tell me does all this mean that i cant get upgraded by eircom to receive anything bigger than 1meg?

If your line is not suitable for more then 1mbit, then any upgrade would be pointless.

/Martin

tabatha wrote: »

Agree with Marlow, if you've been told that 1Mb is the best then that is about it. You might appeal for a second look at your line, indicating that you're in the market to spend more money......but I'd say it is unlikely. Have you tried any other operator? If your in Dublin there may be another operator providing service either over wireless or cable in your area or maybe by renting circuits from eircom.

Bye, Barry

BarryM wrote: »
    Agree with Marlow, if you've been told that 1Mb is the best then that is about it. You might appeal for a second look at your line, indicating that you're in the market to spend more money......but I'd say it is unlikely. Have you tried any other operator? If your in Dublin there may be another operator providing service either over wireless or cable in your area or maybe by renting circuits from eircom.

Bye, Barry

i was also looking at smart telecom, but they also need the phone line. they said that the line wasnt suitable either. they said eircom should be able to update the line? eircom said they don't do things like that and have never updated anyones line for them if it wasnt good enough. smart tell me otherwise!

Well ..

Eircom will not due anything with your line as long as it's not fauly (as in broken, not working).

If Eircom can't give you more than 1 mbit, Smart won't be able to do much better, as they still would use the same physical line. It's not a matter of equipment in such case, but a case of the line quality.

If you're looking for something better, you probably should look at a completely different approach: fixed-wireless or cable-tv based internet.

/Martin

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Well ..

Eircom will not due anything with your line as long as it's not fauly (as in broken, not working).

If Eircom can't give you more than 1 mbit, Smart won't be able to do much better, as they still would use the same physical line. It's not a matter of equipment in such case, but a case of the line quality.

If you're looking for something better, you probably should look at a completely different approach: fixed-wireless or cable-tv based internet.

/Martin

i want to get rid of ntl (both the tv and broadband) and go with a new phone and broadband bundle package. i thought smart were the best?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement