Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 peema

[broadband.gov.ie]

To which I say, "Ha!" according to them Esat BT will sell DSL to me, but Esat BT seem to think differently.

Which reminds me... [goes off to futilely check eircom exchange thing]. Nope, still no Internet for me.

Is that thing kept up to date, or does it get updated once in a blue moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by tabydub
    Eircom Have upgraded loads of exchanges to broadband in the past few months and are now able to test your line over the phone and give an instant result call BLAH BLAH BLAH
    Awesome pimpage, tabydub.

Trollage or otherwise I hope you like gruel & verbal shankings, 'cause you'll be getting a lot where you're heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by tabydub
    Eircom Have upgraded loads of exchanges to broadband in the past few months and are now able to test your line over the phone and give an instant result call them on 1800203204
    Of course, when you call them for this line test, they will "lock" your line into eircom, and will refuse to release you to any other DSL provider for at least 6 weeks, and multiple complaints to Comreg.

Rental E33 E45 E89 E169
    PLUS VAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Someone e-mailed me to tell me I was mentioned concerning broadband for the midlands, At the moment, Athlone, Tullamore, Clara, Edenderry and Roscommon are fully up and running, Surrounding areas like Daingean, Rhode, Portarlington are very close to being finished… More Information can be found at http://www.nalcro.com … List of areas ready, and a list of areas to be completed
    Any Questions you have on the service will be answered by phone… Too busy at the moment to answer any other way
    Phone number can be obtained at Our Web Site..

Thanks
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Typhoon

Check out the Gov's web site for broadband availability...just select your location from a drop down list and it gives you all the providers.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/home.aspx

I'm looking into "Pure Telecom", they seem to be doing the best deal

Anyone else got any ideas on a better provider????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Ask youself this, can you make free telephone calls? assuming you have a phone

Hi.....

In Canada at the mo on working holiday thing. In Canada every local call is free......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 peema

peema wrote:
    So I rang them again yesterday.

It now seems the upgrade is scheduled between April and June.

That's just teasing.

At the start of the month, I rang them and got a similar answer, with the observation that it must be any day now.

Since it's nearly the end of July, I rang them again yesterday asking "When does the Internet come to Portarlington?"

Answer (this time): "Before the end of December 2004".

Can somebody shed some light on how this works? (Barring Quirke's Objection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

hi,
    i live about six miles outside waterford city, just wondering if anyone knows of any isp providing broadband out here, or even an isp with a proper unlimited flat rate dialup service
    thanks
    mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Palmerstown04

Example, to enlighten the blind

To provide a cost effective sevice -

all ADSL services are 'contended' (shared)

So for instance if you are sharing a 500kbs line with 50 other users at the same time you will be running at 10kbs. That is slower than ur standard modem.

If you are on a contended service then there are company safeguard that protect the user from experiencing the above description. If a broadband user starts taking the p*ss out of the service they will hit with a threshold guard or suspension

Cudgel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Palmerstown04

Mark

check out the eircom website or iol and you can check whether your phone line is Broadband enabled. NTl have plans as discussed in a pervious post.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pyxxel

Typhoon wrote:
    Check out the Gov's web site for broadband availability...just select your location from a drop down list and it gives you all the providers.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/home.aspx

Thanks for the link -- but...... like anything the government states, I wouldn't trust that website too much.

Just checked my area (Dublin 15, Clonsilla/Clonee/Blanchardstown) - it mentions Eircom, Irish Broadband and 3 satellite providers. This is only half the truth - most of the other players are offering here too, eg. IOL, Esat, Netsource, even NTL cable now!!

So don't rely on it fully, but keep asking around (like, here on the boards:D)

pyxxel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If it say you can get Eircom BB, you can get it from any of the adsl providers, UTV, IOL etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

Welcome, Dannygirl.
    You last visited: 19-10-2002 at 17:18

wow, didn't realise it'd been so long. Where does the time go? :o
    Now I'm going back to read this thread from the start. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

NTL just became available in Blackrock! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

Anybody heard anything about net1.ie? They are providing wireless broadband in the North East of the country, with coverage growing steadily, and seem to be offering good value with no caps on any service. The more you pay the higher your speed and the lower your contention ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    NTL just became available in Blackrock! :D

anyone got any pointers to, or information on, NTL's rollout schedule ?

I'm in Ballsbridge / Dublin 4 and have failed eircom's line test

/ds.

demosuzki wrote:
    anyone got any pointers to, or information on, NTL's rollout schedule ?
    NTL have made it explicitly clear that they don't intend to release a rollout schedule, to prevent eircom or anyone else focussing on an area that NTL plan to enable.

So the first public release of information that NTL is available in an area is supposed to be when the postcards from NTL are delivered one morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

You left out one that i would like to inform people about.
    Chours (Cablenet Broadband)
    29.95 Per Month If You Are A Chours Tv Customer. OR>>
    35.00 Per Month If You Are NOT A Chours Tv Customer.
    Call:1890 20 20 29
    Web:www.cablenet.ie
    **Only Available In Thurles,Clonmel,Killkenny**
    PS:Eircom are lier's or they dont know what or where they offer their own services because i called them up wanting to take up their offer but they said broadband was not available in my area,LIE!!!Because my brother's friend has it and he only lives up the road.That shows you that some company's know little of what services they offer and where they offer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Ripwave wrote:
    NTL have made it explicitly clear that they don't intend to release a rollout schedule, to prevent eircom or anyone else focussing on an area that NTL plan to enable.

nuts , the girl on the phone said it would be in the part of the south city center im living in (near georges st.)within 2 months , she was probably just saying that to get rid of me though , ah well ill have to live without for a while longer so :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Was on to NTL today about availability in Dublin 1 area.
    Took 3 emails for them to stop replying! :(

Summary:
    Email 1: Is it available at my address, if not any idea when? :D
    Reply: No but we will contact you when it is available. :rolleyes:

Email 2: Okaaay, but I would like to signup within a month or 2 max, any vague timeframe? :confused:
    Reply: No but in nearby IFSC it is, so your area could be next. :rolleyes:

Email 3: There are other ISPs available in the area, I want to know when NTL is available, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year? If 1 week, even 1 month I could wait, and you get my business, but anyl onger is too much of a wait. So do I give my money to another provider (12 month contract), or do you tell me when it is available and if soon enough you get my business... :D
    Reply: None :eek:

Looks to me and any sensible person that NTL don't want to have people knocking on their door with cheques...

If they are transparent with their customers - and why shouldn't they be, surely it would be a company you could trust and rely on.

Strange way to do business, or am I just being naive here??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ripwave

Ahh, that makes sense, we couldn't have 2 or more providers in the same area, that would be shock gasp dreaded COMPETITION, and we couldn't have that.

So from Ripwave's comments, NTL just want a monopoly in certain areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, they don't mind competition. What they don't want is a chance for other operators to poach any potential customers of theirs a few weeks before they're able to take them on and lock them into 12 month contracts. You'll find NTL are happy to compete once they're actually able to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

NTL were in quite a financial ****ter up til recently. I think their new strategy is not to spend money unless they're going to make money. Rollout at the moment seems to be relatively fast, and they're getting a lot of orders, so I wouldn't say it'd be too long before they have most of Dublin covered.

james1234 wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ripwave

Ahh, that makes sense, we couldn't have 2 or more providers in the same area, that would be shock gasp dreaded COMPETITION, and we couldn't have that.

So from Ripwave's comments, NTL just want a monopoly in certain areas?
    Can you explain how giving eircom a 2 month "heads up" on NTL privisioning an area is "competition"? And how not pre-announcing service will give NTL a monopoly?

(There not rhetorical questions, by the way - your statement suggests that you haven't a clue what the word "competition" means, and I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong).

NTL aren't currently servicing your area. They won't commit to servicing it in the next two months (unlike certain other companies who will happily commit to delivering service in two months, but who never seem to actually meet that commitment). So get your broadband from someone else, or do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

That seems to be NTL's standard stance. I've called a few times asking when Clondalkin will be done and each time I get the "We can't tell you when because we don't want our competitors finding out" speel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

I got a classic last week.
    they called me after I replied to a form on their web site.
    I checked the boxes saying full digital cable and broadband.
    took 3 weeks to call me.
    very nice girl on the other end.
    offering just digital cable.
    when I asked about broadband she said not yet
    when I asked "when?" she goes " the girl who knows the answer is out today" !

least she was honest !.

/ds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Eircom has no service calls SME with no download cap for €89 a month. Please add that Digiweb is useless for online gaming and their support is terrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

Could anyone tell me the broadband services available in Wexford, bar Eircom?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

digiweb isnt bad i know of people with no problems using digiweb with fast on-line games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement