Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availblility. what and where.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Any sign of Monasterevin ,Co Kildare yet?
    Im waiting years for BB :(

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

Anyone know anything about Donegal/Burnfoot???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i rang NTL today about north-west glasnevin and Finglas broadband and he said this month it should be all sorted!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Gombin,any news on Monasterevin,i have heard from someone here on boards the exchange is upgraded but when i ring eircom and esat they say not till March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A JOKE

Why has nobody in this *cuntry* questioned the governments stance on broadband???

19 towns along with Portlaoise had their streets dug up causing traffic chaos and losses to business over the last year. How many €MILLION of OUR money was poured in to this waste of time?

Here is what the job achieved:
    * 19 towns who already had broadband by Eircom now have a fibre network that will never be used.
    * Millions of Euro for a Limerick Businessman
    * Eircom dropped the price of broadband from €114 to €54 per month
    * Millions of Euro lost by local businesses along the streets that were dug up.
    * Loads of traffic chaos

Now if the money had been spent on wireless instead:
    * Millions of euro divided across several operators
    * complete island of Ireland covered, thus punishing eircom hard for dragging its feet over the last decade.
    * equal oppertunities for everyone in Ireland, not just large towns and cities

People of Ireland, we are to blame for this, because the people of this country are too quiet, will put up with such crap and never ask questions or protest. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Vinny- Im from Glasnevin too- I know that Irish Broadband have a thingy in Ballymun which serves most of Glasnevin/Finglas. :rolleyes:
    I was thinking about getting that Wireless "Ripwave Raaawks" thingy, but everyone is talkin about NTL.
    Can someone explain please?

Im basically considering getting cheap broadband for domestic use. Id prefer wireless. i think. Im not sure tho. Why is this so complex? :eek: Can I really "let it rip, without getting ripped aaawf"

My eircom dialup bill is coming in soon. Im not looking forward to it. :mad:

PS- Please lets not let this thread turn into a big "i hate southsiders / dublinners / culcuhies" etc etc thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea i'm only living up for college and theres only 4 months left on the lease, but i'm looking for a short term set up, and that i can bail out early (ntl 65 euro break contract charge)??

i live near the finglas side of glasnevin so ripwave wont work i think!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Danno wrote:

People of Ireland, we are to blame for this, because the people of this country are too quiet, will put up with such crap and never ask questions or protest. :mad:

What would you have us do? STand in front of the JCBs when they start digging? If they're putting fibre optic cables down who would want to object? There is nothing we can do if they decide to take years to start using it.

We're too quiet? How is Joe Bloggs meant to influence anyone? Yeh sure, we'll lodge a complaint to nobody@somewhere.ie Let our anger be felt, just like you did here. Tell me. What have you done to help the bad bb situation?

The general public could not forsee the consequences of the privatisation of eircom. The asshole government did not forsee the consequences of Eircom sitting on they're lazy arses for 5 years before the privatisation.

You made a good point about the wireless though. It would be good to tell Eircom to go fck themselves. I'm all in favour of that.

I would be all in favour of telling eircom so suck snot but anytime Ive tried competition such as ESAT I ended up running back to eircom with my tail between my legs..
    why?
    because ESAT are scum of course.
    This is scientific fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Just wondering, is the misspelling of availability in the title of this thread intentional...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sed

bombidol wrote:
    theres no mention of Netsource doing homes, only businesses. anyone know anything about this?

gar

On the netsource web site they have a form at the bottom for any queries people might have. I asked a question about the cap and this is the reply...

Hi Des.

Netsource are solely a business to business provider.

Is this service required for business use?

Kind Regards,
    Nicola Ryan
    Netsource - Your Internet Partner
    Phone No: +353 1 4336000
    Fax No: +353 1 4336075
    Direct Dial: + 353 1 4336032

I think this makes it clear. :(

anyone know... does Ripwave really "rawwk" ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Linoge wrote:
    Thanks for that. :D lol:D

What American company would move here to have a fupping 128k ISDN line to communicate with their head office. FUP Eircom.

Removed comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm living in the North Kildare area and am becoming increasingly pissed off with dail up. Dose anyone know when broadband will be available in my area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Was also talking to ICE - they said they'd be up and running in Swords in a couple of weeks.........

Just wanted to confirm.

Ripwave does rawwwk.

OK download speeds of 512k arent as fast as other forms of broadband, but for 30 quid month its brilliant. They sent me out the gizmo which blugged into my laptop and worked straight away.. eezy peezy! And I can surf in bed or beside the fire or if I wanted to be a real spa I could even book my holiday out the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

dceire wrote:
    I'm living in the North Kildare area and am becoming increasingly pissed off with dail up. Dose anyone know when broadband will be available in my area?

If there's no ISP in your area, why not contact the Regional Coordinator for the County and Rural broadband scheme at the Eastern Regional Authority? They can let you know if there has been any interest shown for a community broadband scheme locally. Otherwise, get your local community association to look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Had a very quick scan through this thread and was impressed with the ISP details at the beginning. I am at the end of my 12 months and I am inlinced to think better deals are to be had elsewhere. Has anyone done an updated price listing I wonder, especially with the new speeds due to kick in soon ? If so can you point me in the direction of them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Any chance of this being updated with the new speeds and caps? I don't think all of the new offers have been summarized anywhere here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TrishMvhl

Hello All-
    Hope this is the right spot for my plea. I'll be in Kerry in June (Killarney specifically) and will need to send some very huge Photoshop files back to work in NYC via the web (comic book art). Only broadband will do, but Killarney has only had dial-up in the past, in the internet cafes. Has the situation improved since last October? Is there *anywhere* near Killarney that has broadband I could use? My transportation options may be limited if I need to go online quickly, so I'm hoping somewhere in town has it, since I'll be in walking distance. Also, if anyone knows of broadband (or a wireless hotspot) available to the public in a nearby town (Killorglin, Tralee, etc.) please include that. Many thanks! I'm trying to avoid stress and strife by planning ahead :)

TrishMvhl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

DSL equipment is presently being installed in Abbeyleix and Mountrath exchanges,should ready to go in a few weeks

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any word on the achill island exchange?

Just curious as my mates connection speed jumped up from a rather ****ty 33.6k to 46k for no apperent reason.

Thought they may have ripped out the old equipment and put in dsl stuuf ready for the upgrade.

My line test fails as does my mates who lives within 3 miles of the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

dsl equipment has just been installed in moate, co. westmeath. The eircom techies who were installing it said it should be available this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I live in Dalkey in southside Dublin and have been forced into applying for eircom broadband with its ridiculous 8gb download because of a severe lack of options. Its a terrible package and way too expensive for what they are offering. There is Irish Broadband in some parts of Dalkey but due to the fact the signal is so bad if something is in the way of the signal tower you cant get the signal. This means because of Dalkey hill half of Dalkey cant get it and so we have to go for eircom.

I rang NTL about them making Dalkey enabled and they said they have no plans at the moment but this could just be their tactic of not letting the competition know what they are up to. Anyways I contacted my local TD about the lack of broadband and he contacted NTL to pressurise them into making Dalkey enabled and has also put forward a motion to the council to force them to do it. I have a copy of the motion and need to get support from business etc. around my area for NTL to do this. The eircom option isd just a stop gap solution for me until a proper broadband service is installed.

Moral of the story: Stop coming onto forums like this and complaining about a lack of broadband and actually get up and do something about it. If you do then things can happen. Contact your local TD get support and see what you can do. Hopefully now NTL wil see how badly we want the service and put it in. A council meeting has been arranged to file the motion and sort out the problem. Same thing can be done in your areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kathy_BBBA

I posted information here last night about low cost wireless broadband for people in rural areas as when I saw the information posted about Eircom, esatBT and other such BIG companies I thought it was OK to post information about broadband services which might help people, however my post was removed with a message left by admin saying if I want to advertise I should pay for it. What's the difference between me posting information about a community based initiative and someone posting about corporate monopolies? :confused:

Anyway for anyone interested in the information I have broadband, I live on the outskirts of kill and was paying over 500.00 euro a month to two different companies for ISDN and "flat rate" internet access. Now I have found a small company who provide wireless broadband for a connection fee of 200.00 euro and home use 25.00 euro a month. :D

Sorry I cannot be more specific but seems if I give a website address my post will be deleted. :(

Lets see how long this post is left in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Kathy_BBBA wrote:
    Sorry I cannot be more specific but seems if I give a website address my post will be deleted. :(

QUOTE]

Thats rubbish. I thought the forum was about sharing information?. Are we supposed to guess who you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

God/mod=plod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kathy_BBBA

Kathy_BBBA wrote:

QUOTE]

Thats rubbish. I thought the forum was about sharing information?. Are we supposed to guess who you are talking about.

I posted all the info about the small company on this forum on Sunday night and when I looked on Monday it was edited and said "if you want to advertise pay for it", so I deleted the post because it was embarrassing to have had my post scrapped like it was. If you want to PM me I will give you the info.

I have to say I was shocked at the actions of the admin who edited my post. I am new to boards.ie but not the net and I have never come across such blatant discrimination before. :(

As far as I am concerned people should have all the information they can get regarding the services that are available. From my experience of paying out between 250.00 - 450 a month to UTVInternet for "flat rate" and then eircom rental on an ISDN line, I am glad I found a company who can provide me with broadband service for much less than eircom are offering. We will have it installed in the next few days once the local node goes in and I'll let you know how it works for us. :D

Kathy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

our mods like not adverts for isps presented as edifactorial , its a smart ´hangover´

pm me your spiel kathy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement