Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless networking

• 11-05-2003 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey, i'm trying to set up a wireless network between my house and 2 others nearby me and was wondering if some1 could advise me on hardware to buy to do the job.

I've got a nice map showing the 3 houses but nowhere to upload it if some could help me out with that it would make things alot easier to see.

But failing that i'll tell you what i know:
    1: The distance in metres between my house (A) and house (B) is 165m
    2: House (A) to house (C) is 150m
    3: House (B) to house (C) is 185m
    4: There's a fairly good Line of sight between (A) and (C), there's a few walls and maybe some roofs between (A) and (B) and a slightly better LOS between (B) and (C) than between (B) and (A).
    Sorry if that's as confusing as all hell. To be honest the picture would explain it all alot better. :ninja:

Neway, If possible i'd rather not have to make or buy any extra aerials to attach to the roof cause that would most likely add extra cost or be unnecessarily difficult.

Any help is appreciated although judging by the rest of the posts on this forum it looks like people are mainly just interested in mobile phone talk rather than useful networking. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LeadMagnet

This should work hopefully.

areamap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by LeadMagnet
    I've got a nice map showing the 3 houses but nowhere to upload it if some could help me out with that it would make things alot easier to see.

if it's not too big try using the Attach File option in the Message Post form.

Or log into http://members.boards.ie/ to set up an account for some web space and you can load it up there to link to with the IMG tags

Neway, If possible i'd rather not have to make or buy any extra aerials to attach to the roof cause that would most likely add extra cost or be unnecessarily difficult.

you should also try www.irishwan.org they have groups around the country doing what you are attempting to do and a helpful forum too Edit: although their site appers to be down at the moment :(

hth,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

There's a fairly good Line of sight between (A) and (C), there's a few walls and maybe some roofs between (A) and (B) and a slightly better LOS between (B) and (C) than between (B) and (A).

Generally you'd need LOS, but since the distances are so short you may get away without.
    For best results you might need to have directional antennas on the chimmneys..
    You can build these urself from tincans :)
    So no major extra cost.

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

Using standard equipment, you'll not have a hope - especially as locally generated interference will conspire to cut the 'usual' distance. The best I have managed in an urban setting is across a max of 4 typical garden widths before coverage falls. As you'll be looking for 2 lobes in each direction it will require directional aerials - and a complex splitter device... you might find Infra Ref would be better if unobstructed line of sight is available.

Originally posted by DubWireless
    you should also try www.irishwan.org they have groups around the country doing what you are attempting to do and a helpful forum too Edit: although their site appers to be down at the moment :(

just checked and their site is back up again if you want to give it a try

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement

The best I have managed in an urban setting is across a max of 4 typical garden widths before coverage falls.

Okonski, this isn't really an urban environment, as you can see from the map it's a low-rise residential estate so I wouldn't be too worried about interference.
    As you'll be looking for 2 lobes in each direction it will require directional aerials - and a complex splitter device... you might find Infra Ref would be better if unobstructed line of sight is available.

COMPLEX splitter? sounds expensive, as does infra red. And mounting an infra red transmitter on the roof would probably give LOS but it'd get damaged from weather i'd imagine. no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by okonski
    Using standard equipment, you'll not have a hope - especially as locally generated interference will conspire to cut the 'usual' distance. The best I have managed in an urban setting is across a max of 4 typical garden widths before coverage falls.

DubWAN has permanent links between leeson street D2 and tallaght, between saggart and lucan, and saggart and leixlip. The tallaght to D2 link is about 8 miles I think. I don't know why you had trouble but distances of miles can easily be done if you have LOS.

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

if you really do have LOS between A &C, and C &B then this should be pretty easy.

Stick an omni-directional antenna at C as it can be seen by both A & B. Something low gain like 7-8 db will likely work better than a higher gain omni.

Then both A & B should be able to connect to C with ordinary cards, a couple of hundred metres from an omni is nothing. However as they probably won't want to stand on their roofs with their laptops, 2 low gain directionals (or 2 MMDS antennas, slightly mismatched but they give about 15db (that's high) gain at 2.4gig and cost about 30 euro each).

You'll need some low loss cable (you can't use satellite/tv cable). Something like RG213, try vbnets.com (they're in kerry) for all this stuff.

If you want access to a wider network, then stick than omni up nice and high and see if you can't link into the rest of DubWAN. More people to game with and file share with. Plus if you're going to be joining the network, then you'll have people willing to help you with the setup.

Greg

PS You don't need any line of sight between A & C if they can both see B

stick than omni up nice and high and see if you can't link into the rest of DubWAN

ROFFLE :D I'm in Cork. How high would i have to stick that thing?

It's in a town called Ballincollig. There are other ppl about 1-1.5km away who also want to join this WAN but i thought they'd be too far away. If those kinda distances are as easy to overcome as you say then i guess it's do-able. Worth looking into at any rate.

But seriously though. Thanks for the help. I should be ordering this stuff in about a month so i'll let you all know how i get on.

Connect to DubWan :D
    GOLD I SAY!!!

not as high if you point more locally:
    http://cork.irishwan.org/

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement