Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Pass

• 11-05-2003 4:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

Lets say that for a given module...

Continuous assement assessment = 45%
    &
    End of year exam = 55%

If one gets the max of 45% in the Continuous assement does one still have to pass the End of year exam?

I can't find any reference to this in the book of modules etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

In theory, I don't see why not, once your overall mark for the module in question >= 40%.
    In pratice, it probably depends on what department you're in.!

In my modules at UCC, this was impossible at any rate as in any course that had continuous assessment, it made up only 10-20% of the total mark
    or
    there was no final exam and result for that module was based entirely on essays written during year/presentations done in class.

Plus, in arts it isn't feasible given that 80% is about the maximum mark you can get even if you produce essays of unparalleled brilliance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I was told that you may theoretically pass if you get enough from your CA to do so, but the lecturers, Hetac or whomever is the decider may choose not to let you pass, although this rarely happens.

However if you get enough from CA to pass then surely you can do your end of year exam and get nearly full marks?

(Btw I'm from carlow It so it may be different there...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

I have ascertained that the modules of my concern require an aggregate pass, that is 40% overall, wherever it comes from.

Thus a failed end of year exam of say 30%, has value in that it does contribute to aggregate module mark - unlike the leaving cert where a failed exam was worth 0 points.

That said, it has been noted that as most CA is worth 40% max, about 25% of which attainable, it is still necessary - in real terms - to pass the end of year exam in order to make to pass a module.

A related issue is the necessity to pass both papers of a two paper exam. Perhaps failure in one would render the other worthless?

Advertisement