Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled NTL digital

• 11-05-2003 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

NTL came out to repair the faulty clock on my box.He wanted to swap box for another one .When i suggested that this would not solve the problem ,the bloke said he had never heard of the clocks been out.He rang around and was told it was a software issue the clocks lost 15 secs a month .The software was controlled from somewhere in uk (Langley?).And they did not know how to go about getting clock reset.Does this sound unreal or what! Rang cust services ,i rang 1800 234 234 and asked to be put through to cancellation dept, waiting time 2 mins.I cancelled and they said they would refund installation fee and get some body to call for box. Next day digital still on rang to confirm was cancelled they said it was.My question will it work for as long as i have the box can they not turn it off from HO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

As far as I know they can switch off digital subscriptions from their HQ, analogue ones have to be manually disconnected from under the eaves of your house.

Can I just ask why you're cancelling because the clock on your digibox loses time? Is this clock all that important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Yes i know it sounds trivial but its an important feature for me.Analogue C4 and UTV and discovery have very bad reception so recording from analogue not an option.I work evenings so i wanted to record several different channels from digital through out evening.When you use autoview feature box tunes to channel 3-4 mins after prog starts and switches to next channel before finish.I have asked for C4 and others reception to be fixed but they said it is on the end of the band ,or something like that ,and cant be improved in my area.I am in a new housing estate in lucan and this doesnt make sense to me neither.I have had Sky before and while i liked it there are a lot of problems as well.ie no UTV C4 ,too many kids channels.The only thing missing from NTLs line up as far as i am concerned is the 'UK' channels .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry I have sky digital myself so maybe i'm not understanding this right...
    You set autoview but it works from the time on _your_ digibox, not a central "server" as happens with the autoview on sky?
    If so...that completely sucks.

Exactly if the box clock says its 5 o clock then it will tune to station it is really 5.04 and the programme has been on for 4 mins.Which means the the whole autoview system can not work,since nobody knows how or can set the clock!The browse function ( 'on now' ) can be hours out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV3 and UTV are getting more alike..
    There isn't THAT much on C4.
    And there are always option to have no sub on Sky and still get lots of stuff.

If you still have card & box you can simpply phone Sky to turn on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you may not get their new cable modem service in Lucan, see the IoffL forum for a list of estates where this is now available

I have old Sky box and dish i am waiting for june 1st to see wether i will resubscribe to sky.My main reason was for canceling was money NTL analogue + Sky digital was about 42 euro.Ntl analogue and digital = 27.I want ntl for multi room and UTV and C4.Does anybody know wether the digital will continue to work while i have ntl box?Also i have kept NTL analogue , do you have to have digital tv for broadband from NTL.They are trialing it in the 'older' new estates in Lucan .My estate is still been built!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by andyeire
    The software was controlled from somewhere in uk (Langley?).
    Hope it's not Langley. That's where the FBI hang out. Somewhere in Maryland or Virginia IIRC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Langley (UK) - NTL ex-CableTel Super Head End. Its the nerve centre of the ex-CableTel network. Bromley is the equivlant for ex-Cable and Wireless customers (none here).

The clock problem on NTL Digital is annoying, though since I don't use Personal Planner its not so important for me. Much more annoying is the EPG stopping updating (as it seems to do at least two nights a week now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hope it's not Langley. That's where the FBI hang out. Somewhere in Maryland or Virginia IIRC

CIA actually.... sorry - too many Tom Clancy novels! :D

• Advertisement

Ntl have fixed the clock on there STB software.Surely they would have told their customer service staff this was going to happen.They picked up the STB yesterday and credited my account for the installation charge.And then today another engineer called to ' fix my STB '.I think maybe NTL are a little disorganised!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

My NTL clock has been about 3 minutes slow for as long as I can remember. I never complained about it because I don't use the diary. But last night I noticed that it is now correct. They must have done something at the head end.

Advertisement