Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi-spec laptop advice

• 11-05-2003 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

'lo lads,

Well I reckon its time I returned to online gaming after a break of 4 years!?! Me PC was robbed and never really got around to replacin it, pretty much spent 3 years workin abroad and now I'm back in the arse end of limerick and nowhere near a decent PC (currently using a 4yr old Dell laptop!)

Anyhows, I'm planning on spending 2k(2.5 at a push) on a laptop (I still travel alot so desktop is out of the question at the moment) in the next 4 weeks. Choice between a DELL & an Alienware... or importing from the States, BUT I want to play games particularly Battlefield 1942 & Doom III when it hits the shops and well are these machines up to it? I have been speaking to Alienware about the next gen ATI mobility but they can't give me a launch date, naturally I'd like to wait for it but not sure how long I can hold on to the money before somethin else shiny distracts me :D Is anyone running either of these machines (Dell 8500, Alienware Area-51m or anything else) as a gaming platform? And from your perspective how long do you expect to get out of it?

Also is XP pro worth gettin? I'm cutting cost corner where necessary:) And how good is Linux these days? had Redhat 5 on the swiped machine!?

Advertisement