Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media critical of coronation streets plans to introduce gay character

• 11-05-2003 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.scottishmediamonitor.com/articles2.cfm?ID=128
    For many years the media have ensured that there is always something of a bad smell attached to gay lifestyles. It still happens today. Pick up any newspaper, any day and you'll soon find it! While my hands are already dirty leafing through S.N.O.T. World, their columnist, Britain's number one couch potato, Ally Ross cried "DON'T GAY THERE" over news that a gay character might enter the hallowed portals of Granada Television's soap Coronation Street. Like any soap, it borrows its storylines from real life. Putting aside just how camp this programme really is - invented by gay writer Tony Warren - it has somehow managed to get through half a century without one, single, openly gay character! Ally Ross refused to be dragged off his couch to see anything beyond the bizarre knicker-sniffing S.N.O.T. World he inhabits. He was disturbed that "the thoroughly heterosexual Todd Grimshaw is set to start wrestling with his sexuality and blah blah blah..." He declared that when Corrie "jabbed us in the chest with issues at every turn" viewing figures plummeted. "So put your leaflets away. Give us stories. Give us laughs". But if gay sexuality really is still an 'issue' for numpties like Ally Ross - and I mean everyday gay sexuality, not camp entertainment - then, of course, there is every reason to introduce gay characters in soaps. Leaflets don't work. From the Man Alive documentary on "homosexuals" to tatu's lesbian clinch; gay liberation has depended more on straight voyeurism than gay promotion. It'll take more than Nicholas Witchell sitting on the odd lesbian, trying to read the Six o'clock News, before we get fair treatment in the media! Just how much of an issue lesbian sex - and I mean real lesbian sex, not the sort laid out for the benefit of 'straight' men - really is for S.N.O.T. World was further revealed in Frank Hurley's 'exclusive' just a few pages on. "RHONA THE MOANER 'WAS NOT BULLIED AT SCHOOL'." Just enough of comedienne Rhona Cameron's old schoolmates from Musselburgh were contacted to justify the bold headline. One pal told S.N.O.T. World: "...I don't remember her being physically bullied or being spat upon", and another admitted: "Rhona got her leg pulled for being gay but that was about it". Exactly what part of the word 'bullied' does S.N.O.T. World not understand? Both former pupils admitted to an element of bullying that Rhona would've had to face on a day-to-day basis. "Of course she got some verbal abuse..." said one, and "Rhona got her leg pulled...", admitted another. What else went on behind the scenes, or because she's gay, is she a liar too?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

after all soaps are suppose to reflect real life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

1. What is SNOT? Or did I miss it in the post?
    2. Ally Ross is up there with Richard LittleJohn.
    3. Like bringing in a gay character is a biggie for the Street given they have a re gendered man character already.

1. Scottish News Of The World

2. Yes, but he is still a long way short of Gary "Dinner with Lady Mosely" Bushall

3. Britains first transexual soap character seems to have been airbrushed out of the S>N>O>T revisionist history of Coronation Street,perhaps Ally Mc Bloke was too drunk to notice what the dumpy birds character was talking about for all those years,probally turned over to the european footie when she was talking bout the change and all that.

Advertisement