Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea - Liverpool Thread. Beware May Contain Score!

• 11-05-2003 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Early doors very mixed as neither team can dominate but Owen
    did have chance in first min...

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weeeeeeeeee! Danny Murphy sets up Sami Hyypia to score with header! :D:D:D

Mike.

Aagggggggggghhhhhhhh! Chelsea scores - a header from
    Marcel Desailly

Oh well its gonna be an interesting game...

Mike.

Chelsea 2 1 Liverpool, Gronkjaer scores a cracker :(

Mike.

Liverpool are rubbish, Patrick Berger is on and he's leaving at the end of this game....! :rolleyes:

Mike.

Liverpool have goal disallowed...

Mike.

• Advertisement

Gerrard sent off after two stupid challanges....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We dont deserve to get into the Auto Windshields Cup playing the "football" we are playing at the moment. So so predictible.

And Stevie has just been rightly given his 2nd yellow card and has been sent off. Only good thing was it was on Le Saux thus continuing that great love for him by the Liverpool players :)

We should set up an online commentary service for next season Mike :) Andy Gray eat your heart out!

I think by saying "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" sums Liverpool up for this season. Not getting a win out of those 11 games really took away any chance of Champions League football almost so UEFA cup football.

Dear Santa,

I have been a good boy this year and would like the following. Two natural wingers and a change of play.

P.S. a drum as well :)

Full Time.

Chelsea 2 1 Liverpool

Where to start? I really hope Rick Parry makes it clear that
    this lousy, sterile football cannot continue...:mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well I'm absolutely delighted we started very badly with Hypita but then The CFC we all know and love turned. Special mention must go to Lampard and Petit who were outstanding, JFH and Eidur did their bit, I thought Poool would step it up in the second half but they didn't, Gerrard's challenge was a disgrace. :mad:
    Well done CFC.
    Gronkjaer has had his fair share of critics but has came up triumphs.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Liverpool were crap.
    The slippy conditions didnt help either team, but it didnt take too much away from the game.
    Owen was non-existant, Baros did ok, and it was the right decision to disallow the goal. Traore is the slowest player on the ball ever, and when he finally releases it he usually gives it away.
    For a match that was so important, you'd think they might have tried a little bit harder.
    Chelsea deserved to win what turned out to be a crap match.

Oh, congrats to Bolton.

That peice of Zola skill was sublime.

Not a patch on Jay Jay though. ;)

Franco has done it 6 years consistently thoguht Jay Jay is a talent but even the most die hard Bolton fan will have to admit he had s stinker of a few months.

I'd just like to say it was a disgrace that Giles/Dunphy did not mention Chelsea or even give them credit they just talked about Liverpools sluggish play. :mad:

Ah dont worry about it sure ye could get knocked out in the qualifying section yet :P

tbh I wouldnt get to upset about the gruesome twosome not giving chelsea a mention it could be a blessing in disguise.

Nah Chelsea's minds will be on CL whereas before when we were in UEFA we were thinking of the worthers cup.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

two crap teams, neither of which really deserve to be where they are, and shows everything wrong with the current structure of the champions league.

roll on the chelsea clearout

Without spending anything we finished 4th I tipped us to finish 6th so I would regard that as a good season.

Originally posted by smuckers
    I'd just like to say it was a disgrace that Giles/Dunphy did not mention Chelsea or even give them credit they just talked about Liverpools sluggish play. :mad:

Chelsea didn't exactly play that well. Don't get too carried away with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Chelsea didn't exactly play that well. Don't get too carried away with yourself.

Aye Make but who is in the CL!! :p Gwan the Chelsea

Chelsea must have the highest avg age in the league which makes it even worse for pool!
    :D:D

Owen had a great chance to score and blew it, was Baros booked for the deliberate handball?
    Gwan stevie gerrard! great tackle!
    Then GH going on about how they had the same points over the last 1/2 of the season as United, what is he on!! He failed, scouse failed and it's mighty!

So the shopping in the West Ham supermarket begins. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

You know I said earlier in the season that maybe a season out of the CL would be good for Liverpool. They don't have the team to compete there as tehy showed last year. Chelsea are better equiped (player wise) to compete in the CL. So a season out of it might give us the chance to rebuild the team and start afresh. One of the most disappointing things about yesterday was GH's comments after being asked would the lack of CL funds stop him buying players. His reply was that the team doesn't need much strengthing. Does he not see that we have fu<kall decent cover for most positions. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the liverpool team is like the roads in the west. good in places but badly messed up in others and they always have the same layout.(lots of bends)

also the roads need lots of work with top quality matierals but we get a quick scattering of low quality material and once in a while we get a top class surface.

but money is tight and we cant off load our current material as noy wants crap materials and there is no money in the budget to upgrade.

sorry if my post a little odd and doesnt make sense but thats what watching liverpool has done to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

the liverpool team is like the roads in the west. good in places but badly messed up in others and they always have the same layout.(lots of bends)

Classic - are you Jimmy Magee in disguise??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i was amazed not only to see that berger was still alive , but that houllier took off Riise after chelsea took off gronks !! I thought that gronks going off would leave riise the chance to come forward and get some crosses into owen , but the mad frenchman takes him off, tres bizarre.

Well done the blues, best atmosphere i've seen at the bridge in a long time :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

About the first posts, everyone knows the sky sports website...

The rest...Liverpool are **** and played **** and deserved to lose. I hate ****en liverpool. Bye bye whatever transfers you had in mind...

Yay Chelsea...

just give my opinion on the rest of the temas.

arsenal is the the Sorth part of the M50 not quite the finished article but nearly there in regards to england and europe.

as for united they are like the nothern part of the M50 a fine road but like the traffic on it going nowhere in regards to winning the champions league. The road needs improvment like an extra lane just to make it in to top class road.

some of the other teams are natioanl primary roads that need are a bit short of motorways just yet. (newcastle,chelsea etc)

sunderland west brom etc are in roads in serious bother.no major funding and having its surface(players) stripped off and not replaced.

i beening a muppet now so ill stop.

:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Irishgeo, did ye make that stuff up yerself or copy it from some website? Liverpool one is spot on anyhoo...
    Ye could write a whole foolscap about how pathetic the Pools performance was yesterday. Not one player played well imo. Murphy, apart from the pass to Hyypia was apalling. That sums DM up. Great occasionally, not up to the challenge most of the time. Owen and Baros barely got a sniff. How can they when they're trying to latch onto 60 yard hoofs by Traore and Riise? Houllier's substitutions were badly thought out as usual. It looked like musical chairs out there in the last half hour, the Pool players just hadn't got a clue what they were supposed to be doing, there was absolutely no shape whatsoever to the 'play'. etc etc etc...
    Well done Chelsea though, deserved the CL spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

What a bunch of crazy rats those pool players are ! and that manager !!

They have their worst run in fifty something years, and somehow manage to claw their way back to be in a position to grab a CL place on the last day and monumentally blow it !!

Holy jesus how long can houllier be given before they take his red scarf off him and throw him out the gates on his ear ??

• Advertisement

Roll on the UEFA Cup. :o

All from my own tormented mind as i try to figure out who stole the liverpool team we knew and loved and when can we have it back.

i mean a cup nobody wants and a competiton we had already qaulified i mean what top class player is going to want to sign for liverpool when all we do is defend waste our player and dont promote our youth players.

i hate to say it but perhaps houllier is one of the worst thing that happened to liverpool other than souness.

i mean he won 3 trophies but thats beacuse no one had copped on to our style back then. now they all about it and how to get around it.

the 2 sunderland results cost us the CL.

i think we need a bypass(keeping up the roads theme) around this current liverpool team.

perhaps we may even need a new chief of road design(manager).

To the poster who said I'm getting ahead of myself I'm not the one who said we'd get into The CL a certain Gerrard Houllier said that 2 weeks ago, when a manager says something like you know they'll flounder.
    and as for CFC not playing well we were better in the second half kept possession well.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

To all those people who don't actually play on the pitch in the matches, please quit saying WE. Its THEY, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. Unless of course Duff is contributing here, if so he can say WE

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    To all those people who don't actually play on the pitch in the matches, please quit saying WE. Its THEY, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. Unless of course Duff is contributing here, if so he can say WE

Now peoples are WE taking this on board:rolleyes:

Anyway, Chelsea deserved the CL spot cos they will probably make a better cut at it than WE wud. It's sore to say it but GH has alot of work to do

we i they who cares its only football.

the reason i say we is that i feel part of the group of fans called liverpool and therefore we.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I think its time for GH's head.
    WE definitely did not deserve champions league football next season.

Ah maybe next season if Le Tallec is allowed play, Liverpool might actually have a creative player in midfield and the strikers might get some decent balls.
    Also with Diarra coming back from loan, hopefully he will be able to make an impact. A good defensive midfielder is needed to hold the midfield together. Maybe he'll be the man to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Glad Chelsea won,there alot more exciting to watch than Liverpool and should make a good go off it next year in the Champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

There are two hard facts regarding Liverpool.

1. There are 6 or 7 players not 2 or 3 that have no right being in a Liverpool shirt. Never had. The manager sticks by them for some god unknown reason. These include. Smicer, Heskey, Carragher [Good defender but panics when in the opposing half] Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou [reckoned he just needed time, but really looks a donkey of a buy] Diomede, Biscan, Traore, I could go on.

These players should not be in the shirt. GH should of had higher standards for the club.

2. GH himself and the idiot no 2 Thommo. Some of the excuses he comes up with are laughable. The style of play and footballing philosphy he employs. Its negative and has led to far to many shortcomings in the team. The major one of not being able to come back from going behind. The team doesn't know how to break down a team defending in numbers. Thats why we lost so many needless points at Anflield.

Then he comes out and says we only scored one goal less than Newcastle, we are therefroe as exciting and positive as they are.

OMG!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what to think. I would be sad to see GH go. Liverpool are not prone to rash decisions with regards to managers. But the 5 year plan is now and 8 year plan etc. Another year should be given to prive that he can do it the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

gotta disagree on a couple of those names there JM :)

Biscan is a good player, and has shown himself to be a good player ... the couple of times hes actually been played in position, i.e. central midfield. I remember one of those times, vs arsenal at anfield when he stomped all over arsenals midfield and pool won 4-0. Biscan is not a winger nor a centerback.

Carragher is a very good defender, but can't go forward, he should be moved back into central defense, as cover for H&H. I'd rather see him in there than Traore.

Diao, Diouf, Cheyrou : I think these 3 suffer from pools style of play rather than a lack of ability. Diao has played some good stuff in central midfield this season, and Diouf improved as the season wore on. Cheyrou has never got a chance really.

I don't like GH's style of play, nor his tactics, nor his team selection process.

Baros & Owen should have been the front 2 all season. Vignal should never have been loaned out, hes our best allround fullback and the combination last season of him with Rise in front of him worked wonders. Traore ... omg ... like why?

• Advertisement

I have never seen a player being so terrified of having the ball at his feet than Djimi Traoré. His best position has always been at centre-back, but he looks so out of his depth it's untrue. Granted he's still only young, but he has about as much confidence and conviction in his general game as ... as half the other players in that team. If a manager can't inspire confidence in a team then he has no business in being there...
    ...I laughed earlier on reading a piece on Ceefax, GH said he wasn't going to make wholesale changes to the squad, because he feels we need consistency and stability in the side!!!

Maybe he should look up those two words in the dictionary.

Originally posted by Space_Coyote

Maybe he should look up those two words in the dictionary.

LOL:D

Mazbe they mean something different in France.

I agree with alot of the points that ye have made - more specifically - I reckon if Finnan was brought in at right back and keep Carragher (A good squad player) as cover for the centre. He is a very good defender and showed as much when Biscan got injured and was forced to play a central role for one game. I'd feel safer with him on the bench rather than Djimi 'Bambi' Traore who; as you've said actually looks like he doesn't like having the ball. Everybody remember the goal he gifted Charlton. Also Babbell should be given another chance to get into the team - a great player.

I don't like Biscan. Maybe he did play well in a few games in midfield but is this the sort of player you want playing consistantly along Stevie G in European competiton. Methinks not.

Heskey is a joke. If he is sold this summer, the pool will almost definately make a loss on him.

I disagree however on Diouf. I think he has adapted quite well on the wing and to English footie. His workrate is excellent. But I fear he wouldn't make the cut if GH ever gave Partridge a run out to prove himself. He would be very good cover for Baros and Owen up front though.

Anyway we just have to hope that GH gets some summer sense rather than summer sun.

I agree with Jonno/Spacer/Butcher, and I think it really highlights that the manager must take the heat first, the way players play is a reflection of the managers philosophy
    if I can use such a word with regard to GH. As I mention in the "Who Should Liverpool Buy" thread maybe its time to head down to sarf London for the summer sales at Upton Park...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

I have to disagree with you Nog,

It is a sign of the times that Biscan is at the club.

He has never preformed to the standard. If he was even doing it in the reserves it would lead to more chances.

Gh bought on Berger, who hadn't feastured all season instead of him on Sat. And Diao before him. It shows he's not trusted withthe holding hamman midfield role.

With this lad Boumsong rumored to be arriving we are covered at CB and while Carragher is a good club servent he hasn't got what it takes. Nicol and Neal were equally good going forward and defending. He can only defend and boot the ball up field. He gives the ball away too cheaply. However that could also be the fault of GH.

Cheyrou has never looked into it. He had a chance to impress is three of the last four games. Primed for us to see what he can do when he came on and did nothing. Rarely touched the ball. Players pass him at will and he makes a token jecture of jogging back a few paces to look like he trying to get the ball back. Gh will give him another season for sure and I do hope i'm wrong.

Diao is again a good Southampton type player but not LFC material. Diouf was bought as a 10 million pound STRIKER?? However of the signings last season he is the one that should be given a couple more seasons. He's young enough to be converted into a good wide player.

And as for Smicer, he should be used in his best position. A make weight for a better player.

JM

And here's hoping we don;t sign tourist traders GH met on the beach in Corsica playing keepy uppy.

Duff Finnan, Boungsong and Cisse Cole, three of those would do me nicely.

I for one hope we don't go for Joe Cole. I think he's over-rated and has not really developed as a player since he burst onto the scene. His shooting accuracy is very average, and his silky skills get him into more trouble than anything else. He could still be improved by the right kind of manager, so obviously that's Houllier out of the question. I don't think we should be spending our money on Cissé either. He is class, but our priority is to inject a bit of creativity into our midfield. So I pray that Duff or Kewell is the first major signing.

Well at last GH seems to be seeing sence. he will be meeting with Auxerre officials next week and hopefully Cisse and Boumsong will be discussed;)

I also found this on www.liverpoolfc.tv
    Gerard Houllier today admitted he's only interested in "top quality players" who are ready made for first team action when he delves into the transfer market this summer.

He said: "We don't need players with potential now. We need players who can come in and go straight into the team.

"I'm aware that us not being in the Champions League may not make us as attractive to some players, but I also know that we don't need too much. Maybe one or two top quality players to go into the team. We need more flair, I would admit that.

"We need a creative player who can provide the link between midfield and attack and we probably also need a defender as well. Stephane Henchoz, who we have missed this season, has just started running again and we hope he will be back for next season.

"In an ideal world we'll sign four players in the summer because we also have to replace players who are out of contract and leaving us."

I feel better already;)

Phew, that's good to hear. Pity he didn't realise that last summer though when he decided to spend £20mil on Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou !

I personally believe Cheyrou can be a good player for us although his few performances thus far dont suggest that! The lad has a lot of skill and is still young I know its not easy to give players time to settle in but I wouldnt try and get rid of him so soon. Diouf has done pretty well at times when he was moved out onto the wings even though he is a striker.... yet another player to be played out of position :(

Advertisement