Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any info on broadband in Leixlip? (Kildare)

• 11-05-2003 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Well I live in Leixlip, which is on the suburbs of Dublin, few minutes from Lucan.

Aaanywho, NTL were outside my house there not so long ago, diggin up the road etc, planting pipes. Then they went bust or something and I've still got nothing.. Then I got their NTL Digital Package and I'm told it runs on same cables as their NTL BB yet I still cant get their cable internet..

Then eircom say they're doing ADSL in Leixlip and apparently my lines have failed. Im on ISDN so that might be why their line tests have failed me.

So, any ideas/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

try netsource. they'll come out to your house, take out your isdn line, stick in the daps (or whatever its called) line and test it for DSL.

If the daps line fails, they'll re-install your isdn line. If you pass the dsl test, i think all these line changes might be included in the overall installation cost (~€180)

if the daps (gawd, still cant think of it) line fails, you'll probably have to pay about €100 id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

pstn u mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭deathcube ^_^

The first time i had a line test from netsource with my isdn the test came up "inconclusive". they said they'd do more tests and ring me back... which they never did.
    So i talked to an eircom techie online @ http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/webChat.jsp?site=Res&BV_SessionID=@@@@0957943900.1052677997@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcheiemdklbedcfjgchgcghk.0
    he / she did a line test online and i passed immediatly.
    as far as i know anywhere you can get eircom adsl you can also get esat (20 ping :D)
    or check with esat online @ http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html
    hope i helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Vertakill
    I got their NTL Digital Package and I'm told it runs on same cables as their NTL BB yet I still cant get their cable internet..
    Then eircom say they're doing ADSL in Leixlip and apparently my lines have failed. Im on ISDN so that might be why their line tests have failed me.
    Same here on all acounts except about them doing a line test, they just told me i couldn't get it. I'd go for Ntl as my first choice if i could get it. Did u know ntl are doing broadband in some parts of Lucan? gettin closer anyway. Where is the exchange for leixlip vert dyu know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

In leixlip aswell, did the Eircom line test the other day ( via web page ) & failed aswell.

Now my line isn't over a year old, when i ordered it ( standard pstn ), they had to come out & dig up the road in the estate just to put cable down for more lines. So the line is relativley new.

Also, on the eircom page for kildare, they have Naas, Newbridge, somewhere else & Leixlip........why have leixlip as a choice, if it isn't available here ?????

I heard that someone got leap.ie broadband in lucan, perhaps it's just a matter of time ??

U would think with Intel & HP in Leixlip, that would have got broadband together by now !!!!

Here's hoping it's not too long now...............

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I live in Leixlip & did the line test with €ircon a few times and failed. Eventually I rang them and told them a few white lies (said that I had previously passed & now want to sign up). Suddenly my line passes the test!?!?!?!
    That was the 22nd Apr and was due within 10 days. I received the passwords (by phone & email) and now am awaiting everything else.

further to my post this morning - I rang €ircon and they told me that the exchange has been enabled but the self install pack (which was on its way a week ago!) will be sent out asap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Heh, interesting kbannon :)

Whereabouts do you live btw? Coz I think Ryevale is able to get it from someone I know. I live down the village by the fire station.

Originally posted by conZ
    try netsource. they'll come out to your house, take out your isdn line, stick in the daps (or whatever its called) line and test it for DSL.

If the daps line fails, they'll re-install your isdn line. If you pass the dsl test, i think all these line changes might be included in the overall installation cost (~€180)

Well I rang netsource already and they said that it failed, and apparently my second line (isdn one) got some sort of confirmation error. They didnt sound as if they could do anything to help me.

• Advertisement

I live near Oaklawn, and was surprise to hear ur response Kbannon !!!!! So the exchange is enabled !!!!!!!

Hmmmmm.........wonder why so many ppl are failing the line test, especially ppl with new lines ( like myself ) ????

Would be interested in any more info ppl have on the Leixlip Exchange & Broadband availability in general.

Things could be looking up !! :)

youre over the far side of Leixlip city from me. Where is the exchange?
    Try and give them the bull**** that I did and see if it works.

Originally posted by Vertakill
    I think Ryevale is able to get it from someone I know.
    Wasn't Simo was it vert?

I live down near that turn, down by ESB etc.

The exchange is up by Colaiste Chiarain.

No it wasnt Simon, its a guy called Andrew(works in Mila). Cafe Mila has ADSL now, not sure what the story with that is, and I think he's trying, or already has adsl in his house now.

Sound, i'm only 10min walk from Colaiste Chiarian, didn't know it was there !!

Sent a mail to Netsource to c if i can get broadband, will have to wait and c.

Also, any recommandations of router to use ??? Looking at D-Link 504, any personal views on this product ??? Good/Bad ect......???

Has anyone in Leixlip managed to get adsl installed yet ?????

Is the exchange in the P&T ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

I've failed aswell, im up the hill in newtown. From what i know the list is as follows...

Burger, dun carrig - PSTN = PASS
    Andrew, ryevale - PSTN = PASS
    kbannon, avondale - PSTN = FAIL , FAIL, FAIL, PASS
    Sutty, castletown? - ISDN = PASS
    Psyche, Rockingham - ISDN = PASS
    Gav, mill lane area - ISDN = FAIL
    Myself ,newtown park - ISDN = FAIL
    Kennyer, glendale - ISDN = FAIL
    Oog, dun carrig - ISDN = FAIL
    Owen, dun carrig - ISDN = FAIL
    Eric, castletown? - ISDN = FAIL
    Confey college, riverforest - ISDN = FAIL (so im told!)
    Horsefumbler, castletown stables - ISDN = FAIL
    Job, oaklawn'ish - PSTN = FAIL

If theres anyone i've missed, say so and ill add them. With this many alone we can at least speak/email/write to our TD.

Its probably distance for most of us closer to the hill side of the village. Eircom need to set up another exchange.

kbannon, avondale - PSTN = FAIL, FAIL, FAIL, PASS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

BArra - pstn means Public Switched Telephone Network!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Psyche

I'm near Rockingham and just passed with my ISDN line :)

Originally posted by vac
    Horsefumbler, ryevale stables - ISDN = FAIL
    Omg thats funny SHlT vac!!:D

i live in castletown just for the record. Also i haven't actually done a line test yet. I just rang and some bitch said no you can't get it yet maybe in june/july. I think I'll call them again though and ask them to do a line test though since i live so close to the exchange.

how long would this test take btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

they get bvack to you within a day if they do a proper test. Within a few hours if they just look at the database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by deathcube ^_^

as far as i know anywhere you can get eircom adsl you can also get esat (20 ping :D)
    or check with esat online @ http://register.iol.ie/broadband/signup.html
    hope i helped

This is slightly incorect. The 'Sweet Ping' esat service is only available at selected exchanges, its business and its ADSL @109 p/m.

The RADSL that esat resell is eircoms and it has the same 'low interleaving' ping as eircom and via (its better than eircoms ADSL but not as good as Esats ADSL).

Ì just got an info sheet in with my phone bill, it says...quote " Your home will need to be within 4.5km from an ADSL equipped exchange"

Now i know for a fact i'm within 4.5km from the exchange at Colaiste Chiarain, so don't see why i fail line test !!

Sent a mail to Netsource, they are gonna check my line for me.

Also, a m8 of mine in Ballyer got Leap Broadband & he's recieving signal from the transmitter in three rock. When it was being installed, the engineers told him that they were working on one for Park West, which when completed, should be able to provide broadband to Leixlip, without having to use €ircom.

Anyone hear any info on this ?????
    Anyone in Leixlip actually get a pass on the line test & got broadband or in the process of getting it ???? If you would post ur location in leixlip, so to give us all a reference point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I live in Oaklawn and my mate lives right across the road from me got it installed last week by Eircom, I ring up and they say my line has failed.

I told the fella on the phone about my mate and how he has it and the fella on the phone didn't know what was wrong with my line.

Anyone else in Leixlip have it?

Well at least someone in Leixlip has it, that means the exchange is enabled :)

I reckon a phone call to 'em might be a better approach than a ****ty web page check, must do that tomorrow.

How old is the line he got it installed on ?? Is he oaklawn in general or Oaklawn west / Oaklawn close ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

We both live in Oaklawn West, and my line still fails.

Does it matter how old the line is in the house.

I wouldn't know how old the line is sorry. I was on the NTL there and they said that there broadband is not available out here yet but Lucan was enabled last week she said. So maybe they might come out here.

well just to provide an update on €ircon BB in Leixlip - got my filters delivered today by reg mail. It also included a page telling me how to use them (and also a helpful link to a pdf file [which would be even more helpful if the link worked]).
    Rang DSL sales to see if I needed software to connect the modem to their server and was told that the discs that come with the modem should work fine! (strange but OK - they know what they are talking about)
    Anyway bought the modem in Maplins (~€88 for pci) and tried to install it and couldn't get anywhere so eventually rang the 1550 number for tech support and was told that I did in fact need a disk which should have come in the post!
    So, moral #1: don't get your hopes up until you have both filters and CD despite what their staff say (maybe I will need more after that!)
    Moral #2: €ircom are a shower of contemptous bastards who enjoy ****ting over their customers (still pissed off after getting a hefty phone bill today after going back to them under the promise of discounted net calls only to find out there never was a discount and that their complaints manager won't ring me back!)

@ Davexirl >>

Did ur m8 do the line test via web page or ring €ircom & get it tested that way ????

No mail yet from Netsource, will post the results when i get one.

>> Also wondering if anyone tried the line test & got the usual failure message, but filled in the Netsource forms & sent 'em away & has been accepted ???

well nearly a month after ordering it I finally am connected here in Leixlip. Just goes to show that lying helps!

• Advertisement

Got a reply from Leap Broadband in relation to access in Leixlip.
    Unfortunatly, it's bad news !!

Unfortunately the Leap service is not available in Leixlip. The Parkwest hubsite has a range of about 3km off of the tallest building in the Park. This is different to our three rock and RTE transmitters that have a range of 15km. I know this sounds odd to have this situation, however it is really a function of how the Leap netwrok is set up.

As and when we do expand the network we will let you know.

Best regards,

Charlie.

Thank you,

LEAP Sales Department

Advertisement