Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

technology versus thrills

Options
  • 11-05-2003 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

is it better to have all the fancy gizmos on sports cars these days - powersteering, traction control etc. Do they flatter the driver too much. So would it be better for sports cars to be proper blood and guts machines - like tvr's - with no driver aids or flattering computers like evo's, skylines etc.

btw im not talking about family hatches etc here.
    & b4 someone says anything bad i love evo's etc but twould be nice to get a few opinions :cool:

Which would you prefer? 9 votes

No gizmos just an engine & wheels
    0% 0 votes
    More computers than a apace shuttle
    33% 3 votes
    Somewhere in between
    66% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

ABS, traction control, stabilty control all prevent the driver from getting into serious trouble that they would have got into otherwise (under/over steer).

You do get the option to switch off alot of these aids, (except abs) most of the time the electronics make better choices that the average driver, but for example of rally cars, they dont even have abs , because the driver is supposed to be able to judge the conditions better.

Actually with ABS brakes, it takes longer to come to a stop in snow/gravel because ABS doesn't allow the gravel/snow to build up in front of the tyres and give some type of grip...

A really good driver can sometime make better choices than the electronic aids, but how many owners of these cars are really good drivers?

The like of TVR's, kit cars, (few/no electronic aids) aren't practical for the normal road user, cause the drivers would only end up writing off the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would go for something in between, but with good safety features (for driver / passengers and other road users) and low overall consumption. This requires a certain level of technology. However, going the whole hog into 4-way stereo, Playstation II in the back only makes cars more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Electronic driver aids will keep a poor/average driver out of trouble if they screw up. I would say the vast majority of drivers are in this category.

For a very good driver, these aids should not be necessary to keep him out of trouble, but they can be used to advantage depending on how they're set up (look at the use of electronics in F1).

The only aid I would always have fitted to a car is ABS, for it's ability to prevent accidents in panic braking situations. Regardless of how good a driver is, I believe there is always going to be a situation on the road where you are not going to be clued up enough to modulate your braking and lock the wheels, leading to an accident. Yes it can extend braking distances over a non-ABS car if the driver is good, but in circumstances where the driver hasn't time to think and just mashes the brake pedal into the carpet, it's invaluable, and the difference in braking distance is only something like 1m or 2m at 70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Chimaera
    The only aid I would always have fitted to a car is ABS,
    Did I hear an EU suggestion that all new cars be fitted with ABS?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

I once had the pleasure of minding my brother's 944.... after 3 days it was just a pain! nothing fancy except power steering and covering long distance to and from work was just too much work.... but the weekend was a blast! about 2 years later he got a 325i coupe with every extra which again i got to mind :D An absolute pleasure... all the driver aids made it an easy commuter vehicle, and the off button on the aids made power slides available at the weekend!

So reckon my point is; aids improve day to day living, but you can't beat the entertainment value of doing everything yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

So reckon my point is; aids improve day to day living, but you can't beat the entertainment value of doing everything yourself!

Totally agree, nothing like a bit of rear wheel power sliding, but not the garda car behind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 powerslidesrus

but isnt the whole point of a sports car that it's supposed to be raw. Most drivers arent good enough to really tackle a car without the gizmo's. the problem being 99% of people think they are named schumacher. personally i think sports cars are too easy these days.

when you see a sports car it should send a shiver down your spine. you should have respect for the driver who undoubtably will be chauffered in a herse next time you see him :)

i think that driving a sports car should induce genuine fear and beating it should be a major achievement. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

One of the best pure sports cars is the Lancia Delta HF Integrale. It was a 4 wheel drive monster. It holds the road so good. It doesnt have any of the Jap electronics that the evo's and scoobies have. it does 0 - 60 in 5.7 and has 220 bhp.

You could not really drive it around town cause the clutch is a bit too hard but on the back roads and on the motor ways it was a pleasure to drive. You could bet that the passenger would piss in their pants if you put your foot down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

You are buying sports car for the entertainment and pleasure not for day to day commuting to work or just cursing experience with your cruise control set to 60 mph.

Advertisement