Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL broadband settings

• 12-05-2003 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is a FAQ guys. I'm trying to set up a wireless system in my house using a broadband router and I need to know the following. NTL's 1. Host name . 2. Domain name 3. Mac address.

Any help greatly appreciated

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the router or ?

the wireless access point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In internet or TCP/ip terms Network setup
    Host name is always the name of the box that has the interface you are configuring.
    i.e my firewal is called minerva and my lap top is called magrat.
    For convenienc on Windows the hostname (TCP/IP or Internet) = Windows netbios name.

Domain can be left blank.

DNS server is important though..

Really you want a Firewall / Proxy program connected to the Broadband on its own Ethernet or USB port, and a completely different network port (Ethernet card or Wireless Lan card) on a 192.168.0.xxx LAN (SNMask 255.255.255.0)
    Gateway IP and DNS IP are then the IP assigned to the Firewall on that card (192.168.0.1 usually) is your DNS and Gateway IPs for all the other PCs.

The Firewalls "outer" port (via separate ethernet, USB or even internal Cable modem card or ADSL card) is the static IP address given you by NTL.

If you didn't get a client Static IP then you have not got a 24/7 "allways on" connection..

a ROUTER is a very oldfashioned expensive zero security method. Also with a ROUTER you need NAT to 192.168.0.xxx subnet or else you need an IP address for every device you connect.

With firewall / proxy approach nothing is "on" (POP, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, SOCKS, IMAP, Real Player, spyware & trojans) unless you configure a "proxy" for that port. Also it is easy with Wingate etc to setup different users have different "rights", block relay mail, block unwanted sites etectex

Unless you are doing something wierd with ARP command to create TCP/IP assignments for dumbish devices on LAN you never need to know MAC addresses.

I have been setting up LANs / WANs since 1986 and WiFi for 3 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I think these settings are for the WAP not the Router.

1. Hostname

Call it Zargoz or something unidentifiable . Dont call it 15NewRoad for excample. Not zargoz.tony.ie , simply zargoz

2. Domain Name

leave blank, it should let you.

3. Run IPconfig at the command line on the machines with WIRELESS CARDS

Each Ethernet card has a unique identifier called a MAC address.

If you type

ipconfig /all

at the cmd prompt on a machine with 2 network cards then you will get the MAC address for each of them.

It is the content of the "Physical Address" Field it requires.

You punch these into the WAP so it knows which cards to allow, therefore you only tell your WAP about the MAC addresses of the Wireless Ethernet Cards in your machines.

Heres an example fo what Ipconfig /all tells ya.

Ethernet adapter SMS Air:

Description . . . . . . . . : SMC Air
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-20-04-60-47-50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks guys, have it up and running. NTl dns in case anyone needs is 194.168.4.100

I'm using a linksys wireless G broadband router to a laptop with wireless adapter from NTL's broadband service. If anyone wishes to do this let me know as I've learned some tricks the hard way.

Thanks again for the replies

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ahh I was cofused a minute.. You mean WEP not WAP.

I'd put 128 Encryption too
    The MAC thingy is nearly worthless as Linux experts not only can sniff your BSS ID and IPs, but spoof IP and MAC addresses!

Ordered an 12dB omni WiFi aerial for office today and will point my MMDS dish with a Dlink Airpoint / Bridge WiFi box in a plastic box behind it at work, All going well about 3 or 4 of us will link in at 2 to 22 MBit depending on signal to office server / Firewall and also to the 512M zero contention ADSL...

Have fun Tony!

Found one USA site selling Bumper omnis for Wifi and smaller roof magnetic mounts too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement