Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here read EDGE?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Like I said in a previous post - the latest issue of Edge addresses a lot of the complaints being thrown at it. In case some people despise Edge to the point of not reading what they have to say on the subject, allow me to paraphrase their explainations here.

A lot of the 'cynicism' Edge is accused of harbouring is merely criticism - they make a point of noting that they are less 'reviewers' of games, and more 'critics'. Critics are often labelled as being overly cynical (ever read any Dorothy Parker?), but without their input, the creative medium they are criticising would stagnate. There is a lot more to be learned from "Game X is bad because ...." than "Game X SUXX!!!!".

"Just to cause controversy"? What absolute rubbish. I have played DOAXBV, and I enjoyed it immensely, (and not just because of the jiggling titties - I also thoroughly enjoyed Beach Volley on the Amiga). Likewise, I thought GTA3 was a pretty mediocre game - nice at first, but without any real flair to keep it going beyond a couple of weeks (GTA:VC rules, however). Have I formed these opinions 'just to cause controversy'? Of course not. From this, is it such a stunning revelation that a magazine reviewer could share these opinions? How arrogant is it to assume that because you didn't like Videogame A and they did, or vice-versa, that they are somehow 'wrong',
    and you are 'right'?

They acknowledge that all magazines and websites write for their readership. They write for the people they understand buy the magazine. In Edge's case, they are writing for 20-30somethings, who want a little more for their money than an 'average' videogame.

"Get the impression they don't like videogames" - Have you read their reviews for Halo? Zelda? Metroid? Soul Caliber 2? (A game I still don't like). These are very nearly poems to these games. Just because they are pointing out flaws, or things that could have been done better, doesn't mean they're not enjoying them, just that they're giving the developer something to work with, rather than a "98%!!!! THIS GAME RULES!!!!". Likewise, they are harshly critical of lacklustre games, but do their best to point out whatever good points are to be found in it. A case in point is the review of "Vietcong" from this month's issue. Summary: "There might be a great Vietnam game out there, but this just isn't it".. but in the review.. "Combat is realistic and intimidating" ... "Vietcong forces you to use cover and place your shots carefully and, for the most part, can be commended for this approach" ... "it certainly feels different to numerous other firstperson shooters".

I'm afraid when I read Edge, I just can't see people who "don't like videogames". On the contrary - I see a group of people who revere good videogames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well done Obey Giant. I wasn't feeling up to typing out a load of stuff from the magazine and you summarised the points perfectly.

Edge is written by people who are journalists first and gamers second. I tend to prefer that myself. There are a thousand websites out there like IGN, Gamespot etc. with utterly incoherent and badly written opinions. They know games but they don't know how to express themselves properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Their reviews are fairly short and often don't really tell you much about the game. But thats not way I don't find it that interesting anymore. Its not the critisim as I think thats a good. But= its their sound bites on whatever is the latest flavour of the month. They hype every latest technology the the nth degree an if something is struggling they put the boot in. Very tabloid IMO. Though its not as obvious. Since the subject matter is quite different.

Personally theres too much content related to games and technolgy thats not even in a million years going to hit europe never mind Ireland. Whats the point of reading about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

Personally theres too much content related to games and technolgy thats not even in a million years going to hit europe never mind Ireland. Whats the point of reading about that?

I like that part - and it's why I prefer Games TM these days. It feels much more eh, global or something , which suits the subject matter. I like to read about say, what a great time the Japs must be having what with the likes of Makai Senki Disgaia Nippon.

It's the sort of thing that Games TM does that makes it worth getting (like the recent history of Nintendo stuff, or the retro section); basically everything Edge does I can find online. So they have some great shots of HL2? Pc Zone had it as well, and heck, it was all over the net (again, the global thing I like) a month earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I find edge love themselves too much and are so far up their arses they can touch their tonsils. There lack of humour also doesn't go down well with me. Games tm is the best mag at the moment. Hope it doesn't go the way of Arcade.

What DID happen to arcade?! I used to work in easons, and stole every games mag each month. Arcade was always the best one, and then poof, it was gone. I assume it went out of publication, but whyyyyyy?!
    As for Edge, i think its reviews are tough but fair, but it tends to be very Microsoft-centric, has all the sense of humour of a corpse, and tries too hard to be taken "seriously" ( like it was the times of videogame mags, or something)
    Personally, i think the best mags are
    Ps2: PSW (funny as f*ck, like an FHM of games)
    Cube:None really, theyre all a bit ****e
    Multi:C&VG (doesnt take itself too seriously, yet still has good reviews and features)

And Games TM while only 4 issues or so old, is looking pretty good, i have to say.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    "Likewise, I thought GTA3 was a pretty mediocre game - nice at first, but without any real flair to keep it going beyond a couple of weeks (GTA:VC rules, however).

I only just read that part, and i still find it unbelievable anyone could think that. Vice city was nothing but GTA3 with poorer graphics, motorbikes, and a licensed soundtrack. The minute i turned on VC, as soon as the intro was over and the game began proper, my heart sank. Rockstar made out like GTA:VC would be the second coming of christ, and i was bored of it after 2 weeks (having previously played GTA3 for over a year religiously). I just cant understand why everyone raves about it so much, when GTA3 had 10 times the innovation VC had, and was a hell of alot more enjoyable. I mean, where were the bloody hills in VC?!?! Pffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Deadwing
    I only just read that part, and i still find it unbelievable anyone could think that. Vice city was nothing but GTA3 with poorer graphics, motorbikes, and a licensed soundtrack.
    VC had a fairly engrossing tongue-in-cheek storyline, and pretty good gameplay innovation, and a better incetive to "explore" the city. I also preferred the fact that my character actually progressed throughout the game because he was a pretty strong character.. not because he was a mute who just happened to drive people here and there.

My housemates (who don't usually play videogames) weren't big into playing the story game - they'd just pick up GTA, drive around for a bit, get a huge wanted status, and die in a really dramatic way. I don't think they ever once picked up GTA3 for this - always VC. I guess this anecdote just explains what I like about VC - it's just more.. fun.

But like I was saying - this isn't gospel, just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Fair play Obey Giant, that was some good analysis there. As it was said, I came on to make a few points from the mag, but you already had them nailed.
    [qoute]Personally theres too much content related to games and technolgy thats not even in a million years going to hit europe never mind Ireland. Whats the point of reading about that?[/quote]
    There may not be any point in me reading it, but there is a lot of people in the games industry who read Edge, & who do have an interest in the forth coming technolgy out there.

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    VC had a fairly engrossing tongue-in-cheek storyline, and pretty good gameplay innovation, and a better incetive to "explore" the city. I also preferred the fact that my character actually progressed throughout the game because he was a pretty strong character.. not because he was a mute who just happened to drive people here and there.

Maybe its just me then..*feels lonely* But ive still not explored half of VC, (but i know all 3 islands of gta3 inside out) I dont know, i just think the "wow" factor gta3 had was totally absent from VC. (i can still remember the first time i played gta3, i spent the first hour slack jawed, and laughing my ass off while running over pedestrians) Sure the bikes were cool, but nothing radical innovation wise. The charachter development WAS good, but hardly revolutionary. I dont know, i just didnt see why such a fuss was made over VC when gta3 was the real mold breaker. VC was almost like the latest FIFA EA cash cow paradigm: Take an established name, bang in a couple of new features, hype it up, and watch the money roll in.
    Oh and sorry everyone, for hijacking the EDGE thread and turning it into VC bashing *L*

Edge featured the physics engine middleware Havok a few issues back. That has every gamer frothing at the mouth after seeing the latest HL2 movies.

As for the technology not being relevant to us.. it's developed in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Edge featured the physics engine middleware Havok a few issues back. That has every gamer frothing at the mouth after seeing the latest HL2 movies.

As for the technology not being relevant to us.. it's developed in Dublin.

Sigh...Did I say that? NO. I said they go on about stuff that IS NOT going to be seen here or even in Europe. How do you read that and come back with what you posted? Hello....earth calling Major Tom?....hello?

Typing "Hello?" at me isn't adding much weight to your argument. Are you complaining about the developer technology section? Tons of that stuff appears in titles released in Ireland. Middleware like Havok (HL2, Doom3, Dues Ex2), Renderware (Burnout 2) and all those 3d modeling proggies like 3dmax and lightwave are used in games we buy. If they're covering new technology obviously not every single thing is going to make it to market but that's life.

If your talking about import games then I don't see your point either. Most of the games get published over here eventually and you could always buy an import machine, as getting games from Japan isn't as pricy as you think. I've got tons of DC imports for small money.

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Typing "Hello?" at me isn't adding much weight to your argument. Are you complaining about the developer technology section? Tons of that stuff appears in titles released in Ireland. Middleware like Havok (HL2, Doom3, Dues Ex2), Renderware (Burnout 2) and all those 3d modeling proggies like 3dmax and lightwave are used in games we buy. If they're covering new technology obviously not every single thing is going to make it to market but that's life.

If your talking about import games then I don't see your point either. Most of the games get published over here eventually and you could always buy an import machine, as getting games from Japan isn't as pricy as you think. I've got tons of DC imports for small money.

You are just not hearing what I saying. I'm not talking about run of the mill stuff that you have listed for some reason, but stuff that we DON'T get. RPG's in Japanese, hardware thats only available in Japan, or arcade machines that are also only available in Japan. Events that are in Japan with titles and machines that we CAN'T get. The edge used to be full of it. Haven't bought it in about a year so I dunno if its got better or worse since. I had been reading it more or less since issue 1 up to then. Anyone else remember the 3DO saga's and similar? Boring. They hyped that big time.

I'm am NOT talking about stuff we CAN get which for some bizarre reason you're confused about.

....HELLO....:D

Advertisement