Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative ways of transferring files

Options
  • 12-05-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

ICQ, MSN, AOL, IRC and FTP don't work.

Probby is that the reciever can not use FTP but I'm sure I can.

Connection problem with MyStErIoUs; the file will not be sent. (Your 'Internet Connection Firewall' may be on. If you and your buddy are each behind a different firewall, then the connection will not work.).

Any ideas? Programs? I want it to be quick and able to work both ways! Files sizes are big!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Sniipe
    ICQ, MSN, AOL, IRC and FTP don't work.

Probby is that the reciever can not use FTP but I'm sure I can.
    Is he connected via a proxy at work?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Not too sure about this but i think you can set up a http apache server on your machine. He should be able to download from this even if he is behind a firewall.

Im sure somebody will correct me if i am wrong.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I have a tomcat server for java project we did. could I use that. Isn't that complex?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Sorry I dont know a tomcat server, in fact i havent even used an apache server before.

Im really not the person you should be asking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

hey chief, im the other guy. im on a student campus ( it has nothing to do with the college. we have our own 2 meg line coming in here) to be honest i dont know whats here, i think there might be an invisable proxy. here is the status of some programs... and maybe you could figure out what there is.

Irc : works but dcc doesnt. also i always get disconnected from Dalnet. Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 ([proxy/cisco] Open proxy.

imesh ..... dont work.

Kazaa works by checking the options use port 80 for incoming connections but i cannot upload.

FTP does not work, always a connection problem, i cannot download from an ftp on www either.

msn messenger : works but cannot send or receive files

YAHOO GAMES :(((((((((( Doesnt work. cannot connect to it.

thats all of the main things. then there is little things like oceanfree chat..... they dont work.

here is the results of ipconfig/all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Tiesto
    Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Et
    hernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-BA-5E-2A-61
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.0.94
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.0.2
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.105.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 12 May 2003 12:18:28
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 13 May 2003 12:18:28

U might be able to get some info from that. makes no sence to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'm no network admin but ...

I'd say that every freakin port except port 80 has been shut down.. (http)
    Are you using a company leased line?, these days a lot of places have gone mental stopping people faffing around on d'internet

most likely they were stung by file sharing apps before and have installed some fairly draconian software that only allows web pages, pics, text and a few possibly business related apps to cross the firewall.....

is your mate on the same network? .. or on an external network? ... as for the apache server, thats a doddle to set up, there must be a thousand webpages about how to do it ... but it wont help if you do not have a proper Internet IP address ...as opposed to a non routable one like you have:
    your IP is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, this is a non routable address range, (same as the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address range, basically these addresses do not work on the internet, or shouldnt at any rate), you need to have a NAT router set up that converts the 10.x address from the internal network to the external IP addresses that your network uses to talk to the Internet ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah i think that is what they did, ban ports apart from 80
    the line is provided by esat

yeah ur rite. imesh... did work but...
    kazaa still works by using the port 80

external network and yeah ur right about that
    my ip address wont work outside the internet
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http tunnelling software might do it.

you need te software on each end, and it'll move everything over to port 80 and send it as though it were http info.

might work, but not 100% sure. would probably depend on which sw you find to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

a friend of mine said : Quote : Im telling net meeting will do it. We've got the tightest secuirty in DCU and that works

I was looking at yahoo messenger and that run by default on port 80. have u tried that yet?

Advertisement