Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Business......Cap or Uncapped ?

Options
  • 12-05-2003 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have an esatbt business dsl line and today i received a text message on my mobile saying that i had exceeded my download limit and that this was my first official warning and threatening to discontinue service :mad:

I was under the impression that uncapped MEANS uncapped especially since i am paying that little extra for the business line :mad:

The other thing that really bugged me was shouldn't they send me an official e-mail rather than send me a text message on my mobile ?

So where do i stand on this ?
    Are they entitled to suspend my account even though ( i thought ) the business service was uncapped ?

Can't find the damn contract to read the terms & conditions , nothing on their website either !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's probably just an automated response. I'd be extremely surprised if they cut you off! You could give them a call if your worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

u have a business dsl line and got a text? who'd the text come from..AFAIK you'd get a letter in writing if there were any problems. Text messages are not how issues are detail with. At least on the business side of things.

There is no cap on corporate dsl. Only on home user stuff. If your a business using a home user solution then thats totally different to have business dsl.

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

AS Muck said it is capped but I dont think many people know as they went on so much at the start saying it wasnt capped to get sales but now it is.

and I dont reckon they will cut you off there desperate to get customers and keep them anything to get one up on Eircom

ask them for there terms and conditions if your unsure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What did they say when you rang them, chopster?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Right i'm on the €90 +vat line and was one of the first to actually get it , a soon as i received the text message i sent one back stating that i was unaware that there was a cap as i was on a business line or so i thought !

Still waiting for a reply .
    Message was from a 'blockie' 086 3832024 .
    As was rightly pointed out i thought if this was official it should have come from an official source ie. a letter or at the very least an e-mail :mad:

That said since the beginning of may i have downloaded just over 20 gigs of stuff ......don't ask ! :D
    So forgive me for not calling this guy back , get into a slanging match and as a result getting some unwanted attention on my back.

I will subtly e-mail my esatbt agent who connected me in the first place to clarify things a bit.

My feeling is that some engineer may have been working on another problem elsewhere and may have found that i may have been the problem and chanced his arm threatening me after finding my details back in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

20GB since the start of MAY :eek:

holy god, that's around 2GB's a day ?? no wonder they see you as a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭deathcube ^_^

sounds like a load of **** to me,
    if i were you i'd take it with a little more then a pinch of salt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by chopster
    My feeling is that some engineer may have been working on another problem elsewhere and may have found that i may have been the problem and chanced his arm threatening me after finding my details back in the office.
    Was there any reference to the amount you downloaded in that text message? Did you try calling that number?

what a way to test to test an unlimited product eh ? :D

On a more serious note if i had known there was a cap on this particular product i would probably not have chosen this more expensive option or else watched how much iwas downloading.

I feel that either way that this should have been pointed out that there was a cap in the beginning.
    Even now i see on their ADSLnow site :

'All you can eat for €90'

This is beginning to sound like UTVip again with their 'VIRTUALLY unlimited' slogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Apologies to ADSLNOW , they are the acceptable face of ESAT customer service.

:D The other users grassed ya up head :D

512kbit * 8secs = 512kByte

= 1 Megabyte every 16 secs.

3.75Mb every minute

2048Mb (2GB) divided by 3.75Mb = 546 Mins

Had you downloaded 2Gb a day you would have used up 9 Hours out of 24 On that line, every day this month. The other users would have had a generous 15 Hours to share between them. ESAT have a contention rate of 20:1 on that product or so ISTR.

up to 19 Persons happy....not...at the speed and b33tching to ESAT about their crap product I'd say it was the investigating engineer who txted you alright. :D

You can see where the Math above could indicate a breach of an Acceptable Usage Policy if the 2Gb a day continued day in and day out for a long time. I believe there is one in the contract somewhere. I was wrong in saying earlier that there is a Cap .

M

• Advertisement

hmmm.....

ADSLnow has only been in operation in the last couple of months i have had my service since january and at this time there was no residential option therefore assuming this is a business only product considering the pricing.

Have i been switched to ADSLnow then ?

And if so where does it state on the website that the product is capped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just pray they don't try to charge you...say even 12Gb over the cap (and that's generous) you owe 'em 1000*12*0.03c = 360 euro!!!!

See why I won't sign a contract with all that 'reserve the right to charge' cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Chopster, your being wound up.

There is no cap on Esats ADSL (nor on adslnow's to the best of my research). Esat woulnt send a business customer a text message for something like this.

Im gonna lock this in the next 10 mins unless someone gives me good reason not to.

Phoned the number containing the text message back...it says number not in service !!:confused:
    If not in service how the hell was it contained in the text message ?

Anyway coming from you Dustaz i feel more relieved now , that said surely there must be somewhere that states whether or not the ADSLnow €90 service is capped or not ?

Does anyone who actually has this product shed anymore light ?

Muck, where does it say its capped?

Its been available for a good while now and i havent heard any reports of it being capped apart from your good self :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its not capped. I am probably thinking of some Acceptable Usage Policy Clause in the contract and something I heard about the interpretation thereof by ESAT. I have edited my earlier posts .

An AUP could deem that 20Gb is not Acceptable...see my math earlier on why.

As there is no CAP there is no financial liablility @ 3c per Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

As has been said unless you receive a letter, you have nothing to worry about. My best guess would be that some technician was working on the DSLAM and noticed your usage, and thought he'd send you a text. Actually who knows, that's possible. I doubt very much a customer would keep their customers informed about issues such as these via text messages... :confused:

I doubt its an engineer if the text threatened to discontinue service. Its much more likely to be one of your 'n8ys' winding you up.

Also, maybe im too trusting but i cant believe esat would shoot themselves in the foot AGAIN by threatening to discontinue service in the name of 'acceptable use'. They are still feeling the effects of the first time they tried that to this day. The SNL fiasco was directly responsible for the genesis of this group and this forum, it would be a move of mind boggling stupidty to make the same mistake all over again. Mind you..... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Was speaking to a member of Esat last Saturday night.

There is a cap of 3gigs a month and the charge for excess data.
    You don't want to know what they are.

Is Eircom the same? Going to be getting it soon. Would rather get the best of the two data wise?

JM

grr, and this is how rumours get turned into fact :/

Did he mention what service was capped? Business ADSL (which isnt capped, but is available), Residential ADSL (which is capped, but not available) or Residential RADSL (Also capped, also yet to be released.)

• Advertisement

I asked about the home service so i expect it was that.

3gigs is quite alot for general home users. But people will hit this easy if dl/ing music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Oh my god....I can't believe the amount of replies trying to justify this text message which is obviously a wind up! Did you even ring Esat yet? There is *no cap* on the business dsl products, the only cap Esat use is on residential.

Do you honestly thing Esat would contact you via a text message from 'Blockie'?

That number doesn't even seem to exist, try ringing the voice mail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

THANK YOU ETHO

THERE IS NO CAP ON ESATBT DSL
    "Oh my god....I can't believe the amount of replies trying to justify this text message which is obviously a wind up! Did you even ring Esat yet? There is *no cap* on the business dsl products, the only cap Esat use is on residential.

I'am talking about Home use!!!!!!

Business I would imagine has no caps. Its the home user cap i'am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I doubt its an engineer if the text threatened to discontinue service. Its much more likely to be one of your 'n8ys' winding you up.

(I can't translate textese very quickly)

What is a "neighty"?

Originally posted by JaneyMackers
    I'am talking about Home use!!!!!!

Business I would imagine has no caps. Its the home user cap i'am on about.

But home user caps is NOT what this thread is about! The guy is saying he was told he would be suspended for going over cap on the BUSINESS dsl product, janey.

Ohh I should read them more carefully. I tend to skim.

****** UPDATE ******

Dustaz embarrased as i am to say this , but it seems your initial thoughts were true.

It turns out that a w$!^%r of a brother of mine was winding me up :mad:

He was testing some texting proggie that sends texts to mobile phones and i was the unfortunate recipient :(

Do not worry said brother has been severely reprimanded ,his computer confiscated and damned to eternal infinity.

I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief !!!

Apologies to all who may have been alarmed by this but glad that it has raised the issue of capping on this service.

Originally posted by chopster

Apologies to all who may have been alarmed by this but glad that it has raised the issue of capping on this service.

The only issue i'm seein' is that your brother is a tosser :)
    There's never been any question that there was a cap on your dsl :PP

• Advertisement

"Another case closed eh sarge?"

"yes dibble, they will indeed fear the iron fist of the Ireland Offline 'Screaming Tech Vixens'"

Locked before someone else accuses people of capping :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement