Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEPULTURA coming to Dublin...

Options
  • 12-05-2003 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

SEPULTURA
    plus special guests

Thursday 5 June – Temple Bar Music Centre
    Doors 7.30pm – Tickets 23 euro (includes booking fee)

Described by the All Music Guide as “perhaps the most important heavy metal band of the ‘90s”, SEPULTURA play an exclusive and intimate (if that is the word) show at Dublin’s Temple Bar Music Centre on Thursday 5 June, as part of a world tour to promote their brand new full-length album Roorback.

Undeniably Brazil’s most important musical export, SEPULTURA rose to prominence within Brazil with their first two long-players, but it was the release of Schizophrenia in1997 that brought their sound further a-field (it sold 30,000 bootleg copies in Europe alone!). Their next album – the Scott Burns produced Beneath The Remains – saw their first international tour (supporting Sodom).

Four years later (after the release of Arise), came - arguably – their finest moment. Chaos AD was a remarkable release, incorporating traditional Brazilian rhythms and concepts untouched by “metal” thus far. After the release, Sepultura became the first Brazilian band to tour Russia, to play the “Monsters Of Rock” festival in the UK, and to win the Best Video gong at the 1993 MTV Music Video Awards.

Roots, which followed in 1996 saw the band further embrace the Brazilian feel of Chaos AD – the band spent time with the native Xavantes tribe, even recording a song while staying with them. Ratamahatta (a single from the album) won them a second MTV Best Video Award, for a bizarre, almost voodoo animated promo clip. A worldwide tour was scheduled, and the band got to work.

But tragedy struck on the day of Monsters Of Rock 1996. Max Cavalera was married to their then manager Gloria Bujnowski, and news filtered through that her son (Max Cavalera’s stepson) Dana Wells had been killed in a car crash. Max and Gloria returned to the US immediately, leaving a three-piece Sepultura to play the most sombre set of their lives.

Three months later, Cavalera left under auspicious circumstances (the band wished to part company with Bujnowski, Cavalera took it as a deep insult), and soon after set up Soulfly. Despite the loss of their creative force, the remaining members drafted in Derrick Green on vocals and in 1998 released Against – their first LP sans Cavalera – and Nation followed in 2001.

An amazing opportunity to catch one of Metal’s most influential front-runners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 fat toni

fu^ckin heeeyyy.i saw them in the top hat about 10 years ago and they blew the roof of the place.....they rock oldskool.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I can't believe they're playing the TBMC. Anyway, should be fun and packed with little rocker kids and older, fatter rocker kids!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

and older, fatter rocker kids!

Like me!!! Hooray!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Lol, I don't think so darling! You ain't fat and you certainly don't look like a 50 yr old biker, covered in tatoos...sorry, I'm using a stereotype. It's just the image in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

w00t!

Amzeh will be there Sepultura are teh win!

/me breaks into Bullet The Blue Sky

(hehe can't get enough of that wonderful shtuff)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

there seems to be a few people i know from these parts heading to this gig... looks like its gonna be a good onE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stez

I don't really like heavy metal but a mate of mine does,(see....mods and rockers can get along), and he played one of Sep's albums for me, don't know which one, and I heard some of the most amazing drumming ever. So I think I might head down and check it out, hope I don't get a beatin'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

dear god the place is gonna be ruined its not safe enough to house that type of croud

somebody think of the children!!!!!!

Advertisement