Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV news on ENN

Options
  • 12-05-2003 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

ENN

Doesn't sound too promising for an early rollout of the DSL product. They're not even commenting on whether it will be out before the flat rate product and don't see it as a mainstream product. How many calls did eircom take in the first week again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

we will get the press release at the same time ENN will themselves.

ENN have lifted information from this forum in the past and not attributed it.

ENN noted that Martin had posted in Here on Friday Afternoon at 2.30 .

Therefore they rang him and hassled him for more quotes and amazingly had the story ready to rock by this morning the 12th

Martin on Friday told us himself!
    Sorry for the lack of any content to this post. Just to let everyone know that management in UTV Internet are working furiously on a broadband product and we hope to be in a position to announce details and launch date soon.

ENN on Monday told us what we already knew
    Lyons would not comment on when UTV Internet's broadband product would be introduced or its possible price.

Why are you encouraging ENN to steal stories in here and to then pretend that they are "News" three days later.? PLS delete this thread.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I agree with them that it's very important to get a decent flat rate product out, for which they have committed themselves, but I hope they don't delay too long with broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

While I would agree that the article does seem to have been inspired by the initial post here, there are some statements in it worthy of comment, in particular :
    many of them who may have signed up to the current DSL services will serve out their contracts with the providers and move back to us once we have such a product on the market

This strikes me as a very optimistic approach to say the least. The assumption that one year down the line they will be able to overcome not only customer inertia but also the cost to reset up on DSL sounds very suspect and does not sound like something a company with an imminent rollout would say. In essence this implies "Go with them, we'll have something great out in a year".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

They're not even commenting on whether it will be out before the flat rate product and don't see it as a mainstream product.
    Think this is slightly taken out of context. What I was getting at was that whilst take up of broadband may be "strong" its still unlikely to hit the same numbers that currently use dialup (not least due to technical, geographic and financial reasons), and first time users to the net are probably more likely to dip their toes in the less expensive/commital dialup method first. I think we would all agree that broadband is the way forward how everybody should be accessing the net......but we're living in the real world, and it will be some time before we reach this nirvana.
    Therefore they rang him and hassled him for more quotes
    Now, Andrew didn't hassle me :) And I did tell him exactly what I had told Boards with no more meat than was posted here.
    This strikes me as a very optimistic approach to say the least.
    Again, I think I was trying to get across the type of posts we've been reading here and in our own support groups from customers who had openly stated their desire to move to broadband, and that they would consider returning once we had launched a product. I realise that the different products by other providers have different contract lengths, and it would be stupid to assume we'd be able to attract everybody back.
    "Go with them, we'll have something great out in a year".
    I think in my original post I used the word soon....to me one year is not soon ;)

As soon as we have any more details, you'll all be the first to know.

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi

Now, Andrew didn't hassle me :) And I did tell him exactly what I had told Boards with no more meat than was posted here.

He just had 3 days to pad it out with uninformed speculation, some things never change over at ENN :D

I knew you'd tell us first in here Martin. Tell ENN you wont talk to them until they admit they lift their stories from in here.

"No Contribution without Attribution" I say :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think in my original post I used the word soon....to me one year is not soon

You realise you'll never get a job in Eircom now Martin? :)

Oh boy will we hold you to that. Muck has the memory of a heffalump.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Thanks for the clarificatons Martin and sorry if I picked up what you were saying wrongly. I still think there'll be a lot of difficulty in getting people to move back to you (despite the excellent customer service) if it is going to cost them €100 or thereabouts but hopefully that will come down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Fair play on clearing up the confusion Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Martin, would you kindly reply to my pm, it's quite urgent, all replies will be completly confidential, feel free to email me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

are so sanctimonious!

Does it really matter if ENN got the story from here? Surely the important thing is that they followed up on it and pushed the broadband issue that bit further....

I'm a long time lurker (and occasional poster) here and I really think that some of the forum posters really do a disservice to Irelandoffline by spouting off without thinking about what they're saying. This results in many journalist's choosing to ignore the valuable work that Irelandoffline is doing.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be happy that the broadband issue is on journalist's radars. So why don't we all grow up and start trying to befriend them rather than slag them off at the first opportunity. That way, they're more likely to come to the forum for stories and we're more likely to see the bband issue being pushed even further.

By the by, I've no link with ENN. I'm just sick and tired of seeing idiots spouting off without considering what impression they're giving others....
    If we really want to be considered as a pressure group then it might be better to be a bit more professional....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be happy that the broadband issue is on journalist's radars.

Have to agree strongly with this. IrelandOffline is extremely grateful for the coverage we have had on this subject. Particularly since even before our formation there had been countless stories regarding broadband and in particular supposed DSL roll outs.
    If we really want to be considered as a pressure group then it might be better to be a bit more professional....

The tech savvy minority would do far better by offering to assist the press in their articles and coverage. Which is what we as an organisation strive to do despite the occasional rocks hurled by forum participants.

On that note could anyone willing to take part in an upcoming television piece on DSL availability, particularly those who have failed line tests on an enabled exchange please contact me on chairman@irelandoffline.org or on 087-2643299, as soon as possbile.

Originally posted by bettyboo
    As far as I'm concerned, everyone should be happy that the broadband issue is on journalist's radars. So why don't we all grow up and start trying to befriend them rather than slag them off at the first opportunity.

I do so love Karlin. She knows what she is talking about, she can synthesise information effortlessly and she can then present her thesis clearly. She can do so in a way that appeals to the knowledgeable and the less so. What a pro, she is a national treasure.

If all Irish journalists were like Karlin life would be wonderful. We would be top of every e-chart that ever was. The rain would stop and the sun would shine. Mother Hubbards would lash out a dacent frappé ...one need but ask.

Regrettably the the majority of Irish 'technology journalists' , (and I do use the phrase advisedly while sitting on garlic and essence of dog) , appear to know as much about technology as a dog does about his father.

Therefore they resort to the regurgimatation of Press Releases and to ill informed speculation thereupon and call that journalism.

This slobbery is a disservice to us all, I am hard on this practise and equally hard on the practitioners. Only yesterday, one of the herd committed a major no-no in this Article here. Can you spot it Bettyboo , we have railed at length about the practice but they are not listening to us.

Now you know why nobody lets me on their committees either :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

Originally posted by Muck
    If all Irish journalists were like Karlin life would be wonderful.

Couldn't agree with you more and I think it's right for posters to point out inaccuracies. However, to slag off journos for following up on things posted on the forum seems a bit ridiculous...

Martin posted news on here and from what it seems he chose not to tell journo's about it. That's fair enough and all credit to him for keeping everyone alert as to what's going on.

But for posters to criticize a journalist for following up on Martin's post is downright stupid. Not everybody comes here and so we should be glad that someone is out there putting the info out to a wider public, rather than slagging them for daring to find a story here....

They stated that the entry level RADSL was "Guaranteed 512k" when it is actually "Guaranteed 512k" and/or "Up To 512k" .

In fairness they corrected themslves but they had sold the story to The Register. The uncorrected version is still on The Register to this very day. See the Thread here.

Advertisement