Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine failure - Just out of warranty. Advice needed

• 12-05-2003 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I realise this may just be the first ever washing machine post on this board but I'd like some advice nonetheless.

(if this should be posted elsewhere then please move it)
    My washing machine has started making an awful racket when spinning fast and a quick investigation seems to suggest that the bearing is going on the drum. There is only me and the missus using it and we don't wear or dirty our clothes any more or less than anybody else so it has not been overused or abused in any way.
    I rang Hotpoint to enquire about a repair. Warranty is 1 year parts and labour and 5 years parts only. (Machine bought about 16 months ago). Labour will be €54 for the first 20 mins and €33/hour after that. I told her I suspected the bearing and she said it would have to be ordered in. I asked if an "engineer" would need to check first to see if it was indeed the bearing and she said no. This gave me the impression that this bearing is a weak point in the machine.

Question is this:

Should I fork out the readies to have someone repair it or, with such a major component packing up after such little light use, should I take a more aggressive stance and start spouting the sale of goods act and merchantable quality etc.?
    Should I even bother dealing with the manufacturer or go back to the shop that sold it to me?

All advice welcomed, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Detonated Sauce

If its only some ball bearings you can always give it a whack yourself, how hard could it be and if that fails just play it safe and hire the engineer type fellow

Advertisement