Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a Xp machine on a nt network.

Options
  • 12-05-2003 6:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is this as straight forward as plugging in the cable to the network card in the xp machine and configuring proxy/default gateway and issueing it an ip.

How do i go about logging into the network as a user with password.

Chief.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which version of X PRO or HOME (or OFFICE :P)
    Which NT network - peer to peer - member server - or NT domain?

================================
    Tips

You should get the correct IP settings
    (start - run - command - ipconfig)
    If these are not similar to the same results on the NT machines - do not pass GO. (a properly setup NT server will hand this sort of stuff out to anything - eg: network printer)

If it is XP home setup a new user with the same user name and password as the one you use on the NT domain

If it is an NT domain you need to have a Domain Administrator do the setup - this is a security feature - needless to say win95/98 can just connect - so it's kinda crappy as security features go..

XP home don't run login scripts - blame Microsoft marketing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Thanks for the reply.

I have xp pro.

Its a nt domain server.

How would i go about giving it access if i was the domain administrator.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

goto system properties then the computer name tab. there choose the Change... button and in there change the computer name and the domain you want it to be on. you should then be asked to enter the domain admin name and password who can give you access onto the said domain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

excellent. Thanks alot. Will let you know how i get on.

Advertisement