Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private numbers??

• 12-05-2003 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

is there a way to read private numbers on ur phone.

is there some software to download and use with ur pc so u can view these numbers

i know that o2 or vodafone can view these but its loads of hassle!!

cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

AFAIK: The network would have the numbers logged (for legal reasons), but do not send the number to ur phone (if the caller has opted for private number).
    Hence I don't think it would be possible to view them, since ur phone doesn't know them.
    Unless you work in Vodafone and have access to the logs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

Private numbers are actually sent as part of the call set-up information, simply that a flag in the data field advises the number is to be withheld from presentation. So in essence, there is nothing you can do to read a number that has not been sent to your phone, however as I have a policy of never answering such numbers in principle (and I never withhold mine when making a call) I've never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

however as I have a policy of never answering such numbers in principle (and I never withhold mine when making a call) I've never had a problem.
    you may run into problems if any employee of a large company calls you (on their mobile), eg. Eircom, as most have a policy of disabling own number sending.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by tribble
    you may run into problems if any employee of a large company calls you (on their mobile), eg. Eircom, as most have a policy of disabling own number sending.

tribble

whats the harm in that as all they want is to sell stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

just me been having a problem with a private number ringing me and hanging up.
    its really annoying and want to catsh the fecker out however it is!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

jank, you'll never catch me.

On a lighter note
    however as I have a policy of never answering such numbers in principle (and I never withhold mine when making a call) I've never had a problem.
    Great policy, i use it myself. If you have to hide who you are why would i want to talk to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You can do it.. On your account profile on the services providers HLR. There is 4 seperate codes that need to be activated on your account to get Caller display.

Clip -1
    soClip -0
    clir -1
    soclir -1

This is standard on all accounts, this allows numbers to be displayed but still does not show u hidden numbers.

If soClip is set to -1 however, all numbers will show up, including private numbers!!

These changes can only be made directly to the HLR by someone with access to it. Basically someone that works for a mobile phone company and is not a customer service rep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

whats the harm in that as all they want is to sell stuff.
    I meant eircom engineers and the like - if you are getting a new line installed the eircom boys usually use unlisted mobile numbers to contact you (for directions etc) so that they don't get hassle directly from customers (which is what cust. support lines are for)
    If you have to hide who you are why would i want to talk to you
    as above. it's not so much a case of you not wanting to talk with them but rather them not wanting to talk with you. It's to protect them from you bunch psyco loonies.

tribble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

so is there anyway i can do this at home
    any software out there that i can use to change these settings!!

they prob wouldnt do it for me in a service or something like the nokia service centre or something??

cheers again

This can only been done internally within the service providers network management tools. The HLR (Home Location Register) is basically a large database containing the profiles of their customers. Vodafone have 3 in total. To get this service activated you need to be special, for example the president!!!!!

• Advertisement

you could aslo keep tyring until you get someone stupid enough on the end of the line to do it for you.

There is one problem with that previous statement, very few people know that this can be done. More specifically, those who are on the end of the phone talking top customer will not know it even exists. There will only be one department within customer services that will know about the existence of this, and that is second line support/technical support... And none of them will do it, not even allowed to do if for ourselves ;o)

I would give up on it to be honest!

i stand corrected. but why is such VIP perk only i mean whats the big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Privacy, civil liberties etc. You have the right not to disclose your number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

As I have the right not to receive them! As far as I am aware, NO Irish networks has properly implemented ACR (anonymous call rejection). When activated, any 'Private' caller receives a recorded message stating you do not accept calls of this type, and request they release ther number if they want to be connected. I have this on BT in the North (NTL provide it FoC). Mobile networks will have to implement it by 2005 at the latest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On the technicians not wanting to give out their numbers, why not have a XXX 0000 proxy in front? (If only more people would have proxies so I don't have 6 different numbers for people :grr:)
    Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    If you have to hide who you are why would i want to talk to you.
    Because it might be the cops returning your bike!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement