Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via's interleaving ambiguity

Options
  • 12-05-2003 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd relax my mind for the moment from my main broadband connection problems with the issue of interleaving on Via's ADSL 24:1 service. No matter how many times I've asked I've been told "Interleaving is set to low on all our services" yet even taking into account my current connection issues I've never gotten a ping below 60 something from ping tests and it's usually in the 90s. Maybe this will clear up when my connection actually gets fixed but I'm a bit confused. Is interleaving on or set low on Via's adsl service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

I think that netsource was under the misconception that interleaving was off on there products until they went into there meeting with eircom awhile back and was told no, that interleaving was on though on a lower ratio

But supposedly interleaving is off on all the ADSL Business products, so i dont know, maybe wait until your connections fixed up and then report back

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Easier said than done :D

I read the other post, its a bad situation alright, hope it gets sorted out soon

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I do intend to complain to eircom once I get my Netsource connection(Weds - yeh har har!!sorry Sloth - fingers crossed for yer ) as I signed up on the basis that interleaving was off. Eircom told me that they had genuinely thought that they could turn it off but could only set it low. I don't think they will even go to local DSLAM settings as far as individual lines are concerned. They want a 'global' product - no mess no fuss - however I also believe that Netsource were mislead by eircom and that issue has pretty serious implications as far as anti-competitive regulationsshould be concerned. I doubt that ComReg will be interested - already spoke to them and they don't see why 'I should fight Netsource's battles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

The lower interleaving goes with the 512/128k service. If they lowered it on the 1024/256k service it would reduce the reach substantially more then lowering it
    on the low speed service. Unfortunately it isn't linear. That's not to say it couldn't be
    turned off on a case by case basis though.
    Doing that could create a lot of support headaches for the ISPs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Interleaving only affects reach by a factor of a few hundred yards...
    That's not to say it couldn't be turned off on a case by case basis
    That's exactly what eircom are saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by shinzon

But supposedly interleaving is off on all the ADSL Business products, so i dont know, maybe wait until your connections fixed up and then report back

No, Interleaving is on full on eircom business products (ADSL).

VIA are lying to you sloth unless eircom has changed something and not told the people who are currently using I-stream.

Interleaving is on full on eircom adsl (24:1) - ~50-60 ping to irish servers
    Interleaving is set low on eircom radsl (48:1) - ~30-40 ping to irish servers (from what i can tell)

VIA resell these products and they have stated here that they have no say on interleaving, its down to eircom. Well theres eircoms settings.

Argh, looks like the Via debacle continues. Will they ever redeem themselves in my once believing eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Sloth, did your line pass the Eircom ADSL test for the solo?

Did you ever ring eircom and get a test done on the line? (not the RADSL test)?

Did you try a differnt modem?

Do you know anyone else on your exchange who is using ADSL? What exchange are you on?

Your Ping will never fall until eircom lower the interleaving setting. Nothing VIA say or do will lower your ping below 60. If you want a lower ping get the RADSL, ISDN or ESAT LLU DSL.

My line has passed eircom's tests, via's tests and rival company iol's test. I don't know anyone else with dsl here but I live in Castleknock so I presume I'm on the Blanchardstown exchange so if anyone from around there could tell me of their experiences and connection.
    Despite the fact that Via absolutely insist that interleaving is low on my adsl connection the consensus seems to be that it isn't. Maybe Via should get their facts right (or better yet fix my connection) before they make wild claims about the interleaving issue as they're done before in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Sloth
    Despite the fact that Via absolutely insist that interleaving is low on my adsl connection the consensus seems to be that it isn't. Maybe Via should get their facts right (or better yet fix my connection) before they make wild claims about the interleaving issue as they're done before in the past.
    It all depends on which service you are on.

We know that you are on a 512k service so there are two posibilities.

1. "Netsource solo" RADSL 48:1 contention ratio

This corresponds to Eircom's "i-stream starter".

Netsource have been on here and said that interleaving has been set to low for this service.

2. "Netsource SME" ADSL 24:1.

This corresponds to Eircom's "i-stream solo" package (not to be confused with Netsource solo which is RADSL.

Netsource have never made any public claim that interleaving is turned off on this product.

Note that the line requirements for each of these are very different.

The first one is RADSL (rate adaptive DSL), a varient of standard DSL. Your line need only support 256k here to get a stable connection albeit at lowish speed.

For the second product, "Netsource SME". This is ADSL. According to what we've heard, Eircom require that your line be capable of 1mbit/sec (even though the product is only 512k/sec). What the consequences of attempting to connect with lower line quality is not known.

Now you have said that you have passed the Eircom test. Which one? Make sure you pass the ADSL istream solo.

You have also said you passed the IOL test. The only test IOL have online is for RADSL so this is not valid for your case.

All the above is based on the assumption that you are on the 24:1 service. It could be that Netsource are only telling you this, but I would work on this assumption for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Only guessing now, but maybe you line is not suitable for ADSL but ok for RADSL. Maybe via or the eircom engineer got confused between the 2. Ask via to change you to the RADSL.

Originally posted by MagicBusDriver
    Only guessing now, but maybe you line is not suitable for ADSL but ok for RADSL. Maybe via or the eircom engineer got confused between the 2. Ask via to change you to the RADSL.
    I believe this is a possibility. On a different forum, Sloth claimed he was on a RADSL 24:1 service paying over 100 euros. AFAIK, this product does not exist.

I'm on the 512k 24:1 sme adsl package. I passed the Eircom istream solo thingy ages ago (way before radsl) and have had it checked several times since and I still pass and I was going to go for that before I heard of Via so my line is grand for adsl (hypothetically of course). I'm so glad I went for adsl though, if I'd gone for the radsl from Via they would have been able to tell me to shove it with the crappy speeds I'm getting atm (which they tried to do before I told them I was on the sme package). I'm paying that bit extra to get my 512 speeds and I damn well deserve to reach them.

Great. Now we are getting somewhere. Sloth, is you're line still cutting out all the time or is it just the ping issue?

Disconnections. Terrible download speeds (normally between 7-15k anywhere but www.netsource.ie where it's still only a platry 25-30k). Terrible pings in the 70-150 region. Dead connection time where nothing happens. Websites load up incredibly slowly. High levels of packet loss and lag in online games.

You can read it all in Via: The verdict

That thread is too confusing. Forget about the ping issue. You should not be getting significant packet loss on ADSL.

1. Get Netsource to send out an engineer with a laptop and ADSL modem and get him to connect independently of your equipment. This will isolate the problem to your line and Netsources service.

2. If they refuse to do anything about it, or don't send an engineer out in the first place, get on to ComReg consumer line and complain.

http://www.comreg.ie/consumer/default.asp?S=3&NavID=34&M=False

Tell them how much you are paying for this service.

Taken from via: the verdict thread:
    I had the service installed on Friday the 2nd by Via's engineer. It was quite clear then that the service did not work from his graph that showed it connecting at an awful 60kps [using his laptop]and downloading at about 10k per sec. Sites stopped loading half way through (still a massive problem) while the connection seeminly sat there doing nothing. Disconnections were constant, usually every 4 or 5 minutes. The engineer claimed it was a temporary fault before leaving.

The engineer arrived and had a look at the line from the access point downstairs. He saw the fault again [using his laptop] and cleaned up the lines to remove oxyginisation which helped by getting the connection into roughly the 128 range of speed. Disconnections remained pretty much the same and totally random. Downloads were now at about 15k [using his laptop] usually although around 25k could be reached on Via's website. The connection was still totally unsatisfactory but the engineer claimed there was nothing more he could do.

OK, I'm moving to that thread.

theres already a thread about this on broadband which was moved from here. It is linked to in this thread. This is not a via tech support forum.

The problem is clearly not due to the latency of the product but seems to be a different matter altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this thread as regards our experience in BT's wholsesale DSL products. Occasionally we will come across a customer that no amount of config changes can help. Although the customer has passed all necessary connectivity tests, they will have bad download speeds, bad pings, intermittent connectivity etc. Our experience is that this is generally because of bad line quality, water affecting the connection somewhere between the house and exchange or they are just on the threshold of "connectivity" for DSL. By changing providers it does not change the copper connectivity they have between their house and the exchange and therefore makes absolutely no difference to them. So whenever we've come across this previously there have been occasions were we've just had to accept that the customer's line is not suitable for DSL, regardless of the "tests". I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but DSL over copper does have limitations and the quality of the copper can affect things greatly. My guess is that in this particular case VIA are in no way responsible for the issues you are having, and that its just your line which is at issue.....and no matter who you move to, your Eircom copper line will remain a constant and hence the problem will follow you.

There are very very few actual changes then ISP can make to a DSL line to help in these situations :(

Well I have an engineer coming out on Friday to replace a hell of a lot of wiring, hopefully that should sort out the problem.

Well I have an engineer coming out on Friday to replace a hell of a lot of wiring
    What wiring is he replacing? Your internal wiring or external?

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this thread as regards our experience in BT's wholsesale DSL products. Occasionally we will come across a customer that no amount of config changes can help. Although the customer has passed all necessary connectivity tests, they will have bad download speeds, bad pings, intermittent connectivity etc. Our experience is that this is generally because of bad line quality, water affecting the connection somewhere between the house and exchange or they are just on the threshold of "connectivity" for DSL. By changing providers it does not change the copper connectivity they have between their house and the exchange and therefore makes absolutely no difference to them. So whenever we've come across this previously there have been occasions were we've just had to accept that the customer's line is not suitable for DSL, regardless of the "tests". I know that this is probably not what you want to hear, but DSL over copper does have limitations and the quality of the copper can affect things greatly. My guess is that in this particular case VIA are in no way responsible for the issues you are having, and that its just your line which is at issue.....and no matter who you move to, your Eircom copper line will remain a constant and hence the problem will follow you.

There are very very few actual changes then ISP can make to a DSL line to help in these situations :(

maybe you could answer this martin, would putting in a new line separate from the old copper wiring make any differnce to the quality of the DSL, cause ive seen a few posts stating that eircom have said that it may make no difference if you put in a new line or not

Shin

maybe you could answer this martin, would putting in a new line separate from the old copper wiring make any differnce to the quality of the DSL, cause ive seen a few posts stating that eircom have said that it may make no difference if you put in a new line or not
    This really is the crux of the matter. Putting in a new line is a pretty simple process, but (to the best of my knowledge) most extra lines are easily installed because when a telco does a copper run to a house they generally would terminate more copper pairs than they actually need. Therefore when you ask for an extra line, the copper is there to be terminated in the house. This makes obvious sense in that each new line does not require a new run from the nearest exchange/primary. If the DSL problem you are seeing is being caused somewhere beyond the point where they have taken your new line from, then you will (more than likely) still have the same problem.

Lets not forget that the majority of the phone network was installed a long time ago and DSL really is pushing it to its current limit. Some customers will just not be able to get DSL and some customers will have patchy DSL quality. We've had customers whose access flew at certain times and then died whenever it was raining - reason being that there must have been water affecting their line somehow. BT obviously did what they could, but ripping up a 3km stretch of road to detect what could be a small fault on a copper backhaul.....its not really feasible :( This is obviously a very small amount of customers, but what I hope I'm highlighting is that DSL can still be problematic even though it has matured recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

most extra lines are easily installed because when a telco does a copper run to a house they generally would terminate more copper pairs than they actually need.

Eircom just split your or your neighbour's line with a pairgain (DACS) box and walk away denying they ever did such a thing.
    Same thing happens when neighbours move in up the road and eircom "has a shortage of copper" and won't/didn't run extra pairs down the line for the new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

...... My guess is that in this particular case VIA are in no way responsible for the issues you are having, and that its just your line which is at issue.....and no matter who you move to, your Eircom copper line will remain a constant and hence the problem will follow you.

Is anybody else sitting back saying WOW, this is the way the internet could work??

eircom, esat, netsource etc take note. Not alone have UTP/IP shown a willingness to engage in relation to their own products and services, but Martin chips in impartially with a solid and knowledgeable contribution in a thread relating to a competitor product, makes no attempt to score cheap points and actually defends that competitor.

How much easier it would be for everyone if the others (Eircom, esat, netsource) allocated/authorised even one knowledgeable person to chip in here from time o time. (Not a PR bunny, not a drone/biddy). And how much they would save in wasted duplication of calls to their support lines.

Martin, take a bow.

makes no attempt to score cheap points
    You mean like suggesting their products, services and support do not match our own in terms of value for money and quality? No way I'd do anything like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Eircom just split your or your neighbour's line with a pairgain (DACS) box and walk away denying they ever did such a thing.
    Same thing happens when neighbours move in up the road and eircom "has a shortage of copper" and won't/didn't run extra pairs down the line for the new house.
    They did that to me. I used to dial in on the house line with a sweet connection, but eventually got my own in for ISDN. Got rid of the ISDN and took over the other line a while back, and found myself getting horrendous connections altogether. They split the house line to give me ISDN. Lazy feckers. :)

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Is anybody else sitting back saying WOW, this is the way the internet could work??

eircom, esat, netsource etc take note. Not alone have UTP/IP shown a willingness to engage in relation to their own products and services, but Martin chips in impartially with a solid and knowledgeable contribution in a thread relating to a competitor product, makes no attempt to score cheap points and actually defends that competitor.

I cant add anything more to that. I agree 100%, fair play to you martin (and humour to boot:) )

Advertisement