Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via's interleaving ambiguity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    This really is the crux of the matter. Putting in a new line is a pretty simple process, but (to the best of my knowledge) most extra lines are easily installed because when a telco does a copper run to a house they generally would terminate more copper pairs than they actually need. Therefore when you ask for an extra line, the copper is there to be terminated in the house. This makes obvious sense in that each new line does not require a new run from the nearest exchange/primary. If the DSL problem you are seeing is being caused somewhere beyond the point where they have taken your new line from, then you will (more than likely) still have the same problem.

Lets not forget that the majority of the phone network was installed a long time ago and DSL really is pushing it to its current limit. Some customers will just not be able to get DSL and some customers will have patchy DSL quality. We've had customers whose access flew at certain times and then died whenever it was raining - reason being that there must have been water affecting their line somehow. BT obviously did what they could, but ripping up a 3km stretch of road to detect what could be a small fault on a copper backhaul.....its not really feasible :( This is obviously a very small amount of customers, but what I hope I'm highlighting is that DSL can still be problematic even though it has matured recently.

Thx martin, im getting to the end of my tether with eircom, because of the shoddy work done by eircoms predecessor, It looks as if i passed BB on the 11th through some freak of nature and now cant get it

hope eircom will sort it out for me as they said she would when she rang me

Heres hoping

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I hope you pass Shinzon, there's nothing more frustrating then not being able to get a broadband connection working properly....
    Martin, I'm not entirely sure how much of the wiring he's replacing but I think it will probably go from just outside my house onwards although again I won't be sure until I actually see him doing it.
    If I switched down to RADSL would it be possible to get a steady speed of about 256? I'd settle for 256 and downloads of 30k a sec if it was constant and didn't cut out/disconnect all the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Is anybody else sitting back saying WOW, this is the way the internet could work??

eircom, esat, netsource etc take note. Not alone have UTP/IP shown a willingness to engage in relation to their own products and services, but Martin chips in impartially with a solid and knowledgeable contribution in a thread relating to a competitor product, makes no attempt to score cheap points and actually defends that competitor.

How much easier it would be for everyone if the others (Eircom, esat, netsource) allocated/authorised even one knowledgeable person to chip in here from time o time. (Not a PR bunny, not a drone/biddy). And how much they would save in wasted duplication of calls to their support lines.

Martin, take a bow.

Just to be fair to Netsource, but ThomasB, who works for Netsource, has interacted with us here on boards and he seems to know his stuff and has actually respond to concerns and complaints raised here on boards.

Specifically in relation to Netsource INEX connectivity see here .

This is not in any way to take from Martins great and ground breaking interaction with us here on boards. It is just more the merrier :)

I look forward to more interaction (and palyful slagging :) from both Martin and Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    You mean like suggesting their products, services and support do not match our own in terms of value for money and quality? No way I'd do anything like that.

Jokes aside Martin, you really don’t need to pimp your services here.

The majority of users here realise that the various offerings (RADSL in particular) are the exact same product with a different label on the front. Gimmicks like "***€3*** a month less” or "**** FREE USB MODEM****" are derisory. And the savvy users realise that “***NO CAP***” should be treated as a warning rather than a selling point. It looks to me like ***Support*** and ***Customer Service*** are going to be the key differentiators. And UTV/IP have amply demonstrated their bona fides in that regard.

Now would you ever get the finger out and LAUNCH!!!! I’ll be happy to reroute my shiny new RADSL modem thingy to point at you guys as soon as you are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

when i got a new line in for isdn, the engineer's put in about 20 feet of new cables, from my house to a box just outside, job done :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement