Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life Vs. Deus Ex

Options
  • 12-05-2003 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Not fair?
    Tough

Both games of the year, both excellent in my opinion, although I prefer Deus Ex if I were forced into it.

Just settle an arguement :p

Please, if you havent played both, dont vote?

Deus Ex Or Half-life 38 votes

Deus Ex
    0% 0 votes
    Half-Life
    100% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Deus Ex was great, but nothing can beat the years of entertainment I've gotten out of the forty quid spent on HL(that's mostly online though). Also Deus Ex played like poo on my nvidia card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Bah, thats the problem.

Half-life's success is clearly in a large portion as a result of online mods most importantly Counter-strike, DOD, Firearms etc.

Its silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I was comparing the single player aspects of each and I had to say that I prefered deus ex. It was less linear. Had different endings and most importantly it didn't have that really crappy zen thing at the end of it.

Multiplayer, it has to be halflife, though only for the mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Even still, I actually preferred HL's singleplayer when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Two somewhat different games, so almost a case of apples & oranges.

I liked Deus Ex for the freedom it granted you and the whole improving your character thing combined with the storyline.

But HL just had the pace to make it truly memorable. The scripted sequences were timed & executed to perfection to keep you in a permanent state of "WTF was THAT?!!!" or scaring the hebe-jebes out of you. And the level layout was quite frankly sweet (including *the odd* parts of Zen)

Oh, and I went back to playing the single-player game for the first time in a couple of years there a few days ago, and with all the patches & mods/add.packs, the game has been changed graphically. It's much more detailed and some of the weapons have changed .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

voted Deus Ex. I however didnt play HL when it first came out (only about 8 months ago tbh) and i think the oldness if the gfx detracted from it a bit for me. I played deus ex when it was first released tho.

Overall I preferred Deus Ex, slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I love the depth and story of Deus Ex, but Half-Life is simply the best. Especially considering how long ago it was released. The balance was superb in singleplayer. It has some of the best moments i can recall in any game....
    When you first realise the marines are trying to kill you, rather than save you. When the scientist gets dragged out the window by the big bad ass plant. The bad ass plant itself! An enemy that size! an enemy that's blind but -hears- you! An enemy you have to kill by doing a little mini-puzzle thing. The continuity of the levels, never really stopping play. That goddam helicopter that shot me to pieces and had me crawling with 3% health for most of the remainder of that damn level.

Remember, back when your mission in most games was to Get The KeyCard And Run To The Exit, valve had you hiding behind whatever cover you could find, blowing up choppers, running from the good guys, scared sh!tless of aliens the size of your arm falling from the ceiling, etc. All because of an experiment that you buggered up.

And Gordon wasn't some big bad mutha with biceps taller than me and teeth gritted so hard they protrude through the top of his head... he was a beardie physicist, with glasses. Valve truly are geniuses.

And yes, Counter-Strike is brilliant, and people will say Half-Life wouldn't be what it is now without CS or the other good mods about. But it's all Valve's doing. They embraced the modding community, they gave us SDKs, and patches, and held conferences on modding. They hired guys who proved themselves worthy in the modding community.

I really did enjoy Deus Ex, and it is one of my favourite PC games... but come on... do you really think it comes near the almight Half-Life?? :)

(btw, i think all the gossip about HL2 might make Half-Life's vote on this poll artificially high)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Deus Ex is a better game, due to the higher level of interactivity and less linear nature of the levels and story ... BUT I have never played a game I enjoyed more than Half-Life ... for sheer moments of oh-my-god-that-was-the coolest-thing-ever no other game has ever come close to Half-Life ... it is one brillant set piece after another and the closest anyone has ever come to putting the player inside such exciting and scary worlds as movies such as Aliens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Wicknight
    Deus Ex is a better game, due to the higher level of interactivity and less linear nature of the levels and story
    Depends on how you define "better" :P

How's about this? Half-Life is a better game, due to:
    I have never played a game I enjoyed more than Half-Life

I think that makes a lot more sense, now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

wehhhgggh! From my mostly single player pov, it's a hard choice. Half-life's weapons and fight sequences are works of genius. But Deus-ex's immersive storyline and RPG elements counter that.

I think I may have replayed Deus-Ex more. Simply to try out different ways of doing things, like keeping ma kin alive by blocking his path in the hotel with bins till I could kill all the maj 12 lads.

Hmmm... so it's Deus Ex, by a nanobot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Half Life, the single player you were constantly on the edge of your seat (until zen came along and it was just a confused 'okie dokey....') never knowing what was happening.

However Dues Ex's freedom made the single player more open ended, but it didnt have the 'wow' factor that Half Life did, which took a bit away from the gaming experience. And Dues Ex had a pap multiplayer.

Ill go for Half Life, the single player was epic and the multiplayer was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I never played Half Life online, or any of the mods...

I'd have to go for Deus Ex. It's pretty close, but Deus Ex totally took me by surprise. HL I had heard about as 'the best game ever'. It was good, but maybe not that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

tough call i voted for half life and am wondering if i should have voted for deus Ex. the one i played right after half life and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Thats a tough one but ide probly be inching towards Deus Ex. Loved the freedom and mulitiple possibilities for completeing puzzles(well not puzzles but you know what i mean) and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Deus Ex. My favourite game of all time, by a pretty long distance. Half life was of course brilliant, but the deus ex gameplay appeals to me more. Horses for courses..

Originally posted by Pugsley

However Dues Ex's freedom made the single player more open ended, but it didnt have the 'wow' factor that Half Life did, which took a bit away from the gaming experience. And Dues Ex had a pap multiplayer.

Awh come on.

After you've completed your first mission you head back down to talk to manderley, and along the way you apply the "ground rule".

You search each of the rooms and presses whatever, looking for anything worth taking.

Suddenly you see the gents and ladies toilets in front of you.

Without a thought you go into the ladies and look for anything to plunder.

When you get inside there is Shannon and she is disgusted with you. She says she's going to report you to Manderley.

You think nothing of it and continue to trot on down to manderley where you collect your pay check. After which he makes a remark about how visiting the ladies toilets is unsuitable conduct for male agents.

Oh my god, how unexpectant and brilliant can you get?

Half-life is nice and all, but its scripted story system pales in comparison to Deus Ex.

And on another note, I actually enjoyed the Deus Ex multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Sigard

Well Deus Ex is my favourite for sure, because of all the 'little things' they put into the game. Wanna hack into an ATM and steal some poor unfortunate's savings, done. About to face Gunther, and suddenly one of your contacts tells you his killphrase, nice!:D. But, I found Half Life to be more 'action-packed'. Sure, you can whip out your customised machine gun and slaughter a couple of guys in Deus Ex, but it's not nearly as satisfying as in Half Life, when you do the same to a group of Marines. I mean, the shotgun looks incredibly beefy with the Blue Shift graphics upgrade, and the 'lock and load' sound is just so goddamn cool. Just my $0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Half life by a country mile. Single player – Amazing. Multiplayer – Amazing (still play to this day ffs)

I didn't play Deus Ex for years because of the woeful gameplay. Also, the first level is so ludicrously boring and you are so preposterously inaccurate I honestly thought it was the worst game ever.

I eventually did have my arm twisted into giving it a proper shot. After the initial few gruelling levels, I started to really enjoy the game, and I must admit it is quite excellent.

I’d give Deus Ex 90%

& Half Life 95%

Originally posted by Praetorian
    Multiplayer – Amazing (still play to this day ffs)

You still play half-life multiplayer to this day, or you play a multiplayer mod for half-life.

Cos if its the latter I think thats where the problem is.

Ok sure valve supported the modding community which was brand new concept and deserved alot of applause but its not what should be taken into account when judging a game.

Deus Ex stands on its own 2 feet, it doesnt need multiplayer mods to prop it up.

Half-life is a great game, but if it wasnt for the multiplayer mods for it I dont think we'd even still be talking about it, let alone having this conversation.

Originally posted by Ivan

Deus Ex stands on its own 2 feet, it doesnt need multiplayer mods to prop it up.

Half-life is a great game, but if it wasnt for the multiplayer mods for it I dont think we'd even still be talking about it, let alone having this conversation.

here's where I think that you're missing a single funamental point Ivan. A lot of people in here are commenting on how good BOTH single player & multi-player is/was/shall-be in HL

The fact that we are still here talking abou the single-player aspect of it is rather telling and flying in contradiction to your above quote.

Without doubt, the mods have added considerable to it, but lets not overlook the single-player because the multiplayer aspect has ALSO proven so successful.

I like Deus Ex, but as I said, HL just had that "memorable epic" feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Exactly, why talk about half-life in such one-dimensional terms, Half-life as a game is both single-player and multi-player. I think the success of the multi-player has some what ecclipsed the sheer brilliance of the single-player game.
    In my mind, without a doubt, it was the best single fps I have ever played. One scene sticks in my mind is where you're crawling through the vents and you suddenly hear marines talking. Then out of nowwhere you hear gunfire and shafts of light start piercing their way towards your posistion until the vent breaks and you fall onto the marines.....like c'mon....wow!
    After I finsihed the single player game I moved onto the deathmatch multiplayer, at the time it was mind-blowing, the most enjoyable experience on a computer I ever had. Then I moved on to the likes of Cs and DoD which I still play regularly.

Imo THIS is what makes a great game, the ability to hold your attention and to evolve itself to those needs. Btw I consider half-life and all the respective mods as one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Half-life is a great multiplayer shoot em up
    Deus Ex is an great single player game

both are amazing in their own respects

Deus Ex if you get the multiplay mod is still not half as good as half-life multiplayer
    half-life is not half as good single player as Deus ex.

not a fair poll, but since my connection sucks i have to vote for Deus Ex.

i wrote "half" 6 time their kinda strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You still play half-life multiplayer to this day, or you play a multiplayer mod for half-life

I still play Half Life deathmatch to this day. In fact I played it at a lan at the weekend (Killed Retrogamer 3 times in a row with 1% Hit points, OMG he's brutal at games that require skill) :p

Deus Ex is almost as good as Half life from a single player point of view...but Half Life was also an amazing multiplayer game...which puts it streets ahead of Deus Ex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shut up Prae. Who has only ever beaten me in one round in Street Fighter 2 EVER! You!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Shred

Deus Ex is an absolutely phenomenal game, a really excellent game. But I just love Half Life to bits, it really left me with my mouth open so many times. I've gone back and finished HL again so many times, but I've only ever completed DE once - I wanted to go back and see the other endings but never bothered.
    I used to play CS etc which I absolutely adored also, but after the 4 month trial of ADSL from Eircom finished I never went back:(

Take the coming sequels to both, I'm absolutely p*ssing meself with anticipation for HL2 but I'm just looking forward to DE2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Very different game's though,
    Although I would say Deus Ex is a far better purchase.

Massive game and brillant storyline. You cant go wrong wth Deus Ex.

Actually...think Im gonna go play it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Half life is my favourite game of all time and guess it will be until a new freespace game comes out(never) or half life two (more likely).The set pieces,the giant bosses,the weapons,the monsters,the marines ai,the story,the g-man,the fights with foes from this world and beyond,barney,the mods,multiplayer and of course gordon freeman the only games character in glasses that kicks ass!You cant go wrong with half life and I never will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

So very, very true.
    Although Deus Ex does have a multiplayer mode, which is far better than Half-Life's

Yes, Deus Ex really destroys Half-Life in every Sence

I'm still trying to figure out if Ryo's last posting was a troll .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by Balfa

(btw, i think all the gossip about HL2 might make Half-Life's vote on this poll artificially high)

Thats a very true point, all the HL2 hysteria is likely to induce some rose tinted nostalgia in quite a few people (Tenner says half the board has started playing Half Life again.)

Now for meh analysis:

Story
    Half Life
    Average. Dont start shrieking now, its still the old "EVAL ALIENS R TEH INVADE" scenario, but I will admit its exceptionally well implemented.

Deus Ex
    Top of the line. It again is very well told, plus the story itself is excellent, containing oh so many memorable moments (Paris for me always does it. Lets not forget Versalife though, that was some damn good mapping)

Winner: Deus Ex

Characters
    Half Life
    Gordon was teh w1n primarily because he was so different to the norm at the time. He had glasses....go£ him? He didnt say a word the whole game, and the most we got to see was his right arm.

The obsession with Barney I just never got. Whoop dee doo like, theres loads of them, fecker always ended up trying attention anyway.

But the G-Man however was a whole different barrel of pea's. Through small glances of him and minor , yet significant actions, you gradually developed a powerful loathing of him. His speech at the end symbolised what he stood for and overall...well its the G-Man ffs, you cant have a neutral opinion about the man.

Deus Ex
    Splooooooooooge! JC and Paul, ahhhhhhh the bai's. Many an interesting banter from our JC entwined you with the character, plus he was just damn cool. Dozens of characters, many with very interesting dialogue (including a few lessons on rather odd subjects half the time if I recall) sucked meh right in.

Walton Simons 0wnz btw

Winner:...Deu...Hal...Half Li...Deus E...*me flips coin*....Deus Ex for today.

Enemies
    Half Life
    Headcrabs I always found lacking, though the infected scientists were a sight to behold the first thing around. And as for Godzilla (you know who I mean), bejaysus there was a walking lesson in soiling ones trousers.

Deus Ex
    Greasels scared the fudge out of meh first time round, must admit the Guards werent up to snuff compared to HL's marines.

Winner:Half Life

Freedom
    Half Life
    Not much tbh. Basically only one route and One Way of Doing Things most of the time (Theres probaly an exception, its not coming to mind though)

Deus Ex
    Buckets of the stuff. You could search basically anything, multiple ways of doing missions, hack computers all over the gaff!

Winner:Deus Ex

Maps/Areas
    Half Life
    It had the Dam and the 'Hunted' Area. 2 levels better than entire games Ive played.

Deus Ex
    Many great ones, but theres only one real winner in this catergory for meh:

Weapons
    Half Life
    UNF! Now this is teh sort of thing Im talking about. Weapons in Half Life were for KILLING, and they performed admirably. Nice satisfy feel to nearly every weapon (Magnum.....*fap fap fap*), great fun to use.

Deus Ex
    Good solid weapons, nothing that'll be remembered for years to come however. Fair bit of fun customising them ,granted, but between the Half Life sub machine gun and the Assault Rifle...well teh latter can suck my knee tbh.

Multiplayer
    Half Life
    Counter-Strike, Natural Selection, Opposing Force (it WAS good dammit!), Team Fortress 1.5 and on and on and on. You can argue theyre not the pure Half Life multiplayer, but theyre ingrained in Half Life enough to become synonymous with it.

Deus Ex
    Never played it that much, just failed to grab me.

Replay Value
    Half Life
    Ground breaking the first time. Played with a grin the second. Accompanied with sighs at the dull maps early on the third. Played through the fourth after reading something about it and getting pangs of nostalgia.

Deus Ex
    Ground breaking the first time. Ground breaking the second time when you relize you can play through the game in an entirely different way. Fantastic the third when you find new datacubes (and even a new Secondary Mission or two) and little tidbits that suddenly make so much sense.

Only found out the last time I played it the Soviet Union has been resurrected for example.

Winner:Deus Ex

Overall
    Here its a tricky one. I cant even remember which one I voted for ffs. Both games are very very dear to me and Im trying to ignore the nostalgia that arrived with HL2. So, gun to my head and snake to my balls, Id have to go for....

Deus Ex.

Advertisement