Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life Vs. Deus Ex

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Good analysis Mark, few things I disagree on tho, the story, half life's story is more than just an alien invasion, its the government sending in the marines to capture some of em, but then it turns out to be 'get the hell outta here', and the story has a good few twists on it. I still say Dues Ex wins on story, but half life deserves more credit :)

I think half life deserve's more credit for replay aswell, Im not sure which I enjoyed more the second time, probably half life tbh, very close call there.

And you can forget which one stays in your memory more, I can remember some classic scene's from half life, but I can only remember some area's in DUes Ex, not really any 'wow, oh my god what was that' moments in DUes Ex at all. The vent scene was genius, 'wait, i hear something', bullets whizzing through the vents, nowhere to run and....... *crash*! scared me sh*tless :D

Apart from that, all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Good analysis Mark, few things I disagree on tho, the story, half life's story is more than just an alien invasion, its the government sending in the marines to capture some of em, but then it turns out to be 'get the hell outta here', and the story has a good few twists on it. I still say Dues Ex wins on story, but half life deserves more credit :)

Ok, Im geniunely curious here, as to wheter Im teh only person who knew the marines werent going to rescue everyone? I acknowledge I was a little heavy handed in my condemnation of it however.

Nonetheless I still didnt think it was that big a suprise when the marine laid out the scientist early on.

As for twists, I dont recall any "Well I'll be chuggered!" moments, whereas Deus Ex was rife with them.

Credit where its due though, I change my verdict from Average to Above Average :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I'm still trying to figure out if Ryo's last posting was a troll .....

By definition, It was yeah.

But was it intentional?

It was yeah.

Not in a malicious way though, We have been having this argument offline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Mark
    Ok, Im geniunely curious here, as to wheter Im teh only person who knew the marines werent going to rescue everyone? I acknowledge I was a little heavy handed in my condemnation of it however.
    You always kinda knew that the sci's were buggered anyway, but first the marines come in 'kill the sci's secure the aliens', then it sorta slowly changed to more of a 'lets get the hell outta here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

this all started with an argument between me ivan havoc and vulture about these games, way to prove your point ivan.......i guess i should agree with your poll in saying that deus ex is better........hold it, im noticing something

half like rocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Deus Ex does it for me, have played it to completion five or six times, choosing different improvements etc. Sometimes killing the dude on the plane and sometimes the bird. There are quite a few plot twists and the story develops differently dependent upon the decisions you take whereas with HL your choices are kinda limited. Lotsa more cool guns n stuff in HL but that wasn't enough to win outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

This is a tough one alright. I tend to lean to Deus Ex as I'd like more of them. A good solid story with an game engine that can be reused after the story has been utilised.

Half Life, though, that was excellent when it first came out.. still is despite it's age. Anyone remember the "They Hunger" addon by Neil Manke? Had a great following and showed what could be done for this game.

Really looking forward to the sequels too. I like a bit 'o sneaking too... so I'll just add a plead for Thief 3 to hurry on too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Deus ex was amazingly deep and interactive. u could pick up any thing and throw it across the room and it would smash...ahh how many times did i smash those flower pots:rolleyes:
    but did u ever stand in front of a mirror???? the animation / graphics were a slight conn
    hl had that gr8 theatrical feel... when suddenly a soldiers corpse would get dragged behind a corner or into a vent... and u say (gulp) uh oh i know whats coming
    gr8 multiplayer too:D

Advertisement