Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who will steal E3 this year?

Options
  • 12-05-2003 8:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

With E3 on in Wednesday which console do you think will have the better line up.

In my opinion I think it will be Nintendo like last year that will impress the most. While Microsoft and Sony try to sell the on-line capabilities of their consoles which might impress journos but not the average joe soap without broadband and no money for ridiculous subscription fees Nintendo will concentrate on what matters the Games. Their line-up looks by far the best. The promise of 4-player Mario kart and F-zero is enough to do it for me. And then theres even more.

Suprisingly the PC will have a great line-up. Top of the list will be Half-life which the PC desperately needs since it hasn't had a decent game since Warcraft 3. Then there is Doom 3 which will show the future of graphics but definitely won't be the the best game ever no matter what PC gamer say. Also the European developers are known to churn out some original and quality games and will probably have a few surprises. Don't expect much from the Yankee developers though especially Raven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Retro if you can afford a computer in America you can afford broadband so I'm not sure if your argument holds up there but I still think Nintendo will do well this year. Personally I hope valve come away with the show as its the one game I'm looking forward to the most. I'd say planetside and galaxies will also cause a stir.

[edit]Hey shinji are you heading over this year? If you're connecting thru Boston you can crash on my couch.[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

The Hamburgler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't! He will tempt you with rohypnol filled liquor chocaltes and run away with your pants on his head.:D

I was supposed to be going to E3 except for silly Prae couldn't get off work (Half-Life 2 and Mario Kart for christs sake!)

I hope Valve can pull it off again. They seem to be probably the only American developer with some imagination. And I hope they do a Deathmatch style multiplayer and not some CS clone. And loads of silly futuristic weapons as well instead of real life ones like the boring tosh in Sof2.

I'm not too convinced about online games and think they still have a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Microsoft look like having a cracking line-up actually. Along with Half-Life 2, there's Halo 2, a possible next installment of Perfect Dark, Fable, Project Gotham Racing and Splinter Cell 2. Couldn't care about the Live! stuff though.

That said, Nintendo has probably it's best line-up in recent memory, with a new Mario Kart, Starfox, F-Zero, Pikmin, 1080, Metroid Prime and the rumoured 100 Marios game. Pretty much all their big franchises are going to be there in some shape or form.

As for Sony, though they have the big hitters like Gran Turismo 4 and ICO 2, I'd be more interested in the more obscure games - lets face it, most of Sony's hits have come from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

starwars galaxies are going to utterly pwn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

doubt it Tellox...ppl arent really impressed with beta so far :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I expect Halflife2 to live up to hype.. at least in previews. All Deus ex 2 needs to do is re-implement the first game with quality graphics to get a good reception, I expect decent improvements too. Doom3 should make people lust for better graphics cards.

Any other year these games on their own would win the show, this year halflife2 will get the big praises, doom3 will probably get big hype especially considering its id while deus ex 2 will come in a close 3rd (even though its probably a better game).. showing off the game a month or two ago takes a little from their e3 thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

HL2. I would probably put money on it absolutely pwning everything at E3 with a giant 12" strap-on for good measure :ninja:

G'wan teh Valve! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Doom3, SW:G and HL2.............. PC will dominate methinks :)

However I expect nintendo will be putting on a good show aswell, hmm, mario kart *dribble*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Tbh id say HL2 will steal the show, or at least attract all the bystanders. I'm sure everyone will be interested to see doom3/sw:g but im pretty sure most will be thinking of HL2 when they walk in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Fatal1ty of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm hoping dredd vs death will make an appearence, havn't heard anything about that in ages...

the pics & previews i've seen of hl2 look loverly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Half Life 2 and Doom 3 for PC.

Mario anything for the cube. Starfox dosent look that hot to be honest, far to close to the N64 version GFX wise.

Halo 2 for the X-Box.

PS2 err,emmm, ah who gives a fook about the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Nintendo's conference was the same as always, conservative. Who knows, maybe there'll be a Spaceworld this year.

Microsoft sold the Home Entertainment aspect of the Xbox. as well as the visual big gun (Halo 2), which if you saw, looked great but stuttered in quite a few places.

Fable has been delayed again, but co-op has been added, Sony bragged about it's installed userbase. All in all, it's looking almost identical to E3 2002 just with new packaging.

However, the pc is getting it's much needed attention, for too long now has the pc been overshadowed by consoles, with HL2, Doom3, Elite Force 2, UT2004 (w00t Assault is back) and no doubt several surprises yet to come, the PC will be the platform to 'steal the show'.

Advertisement