Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail SMS to Mobile Phone ?

Options
  • 12-05-2003 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi,

Anybody know if it's possible to send an SMS message to a mobile phone via your e-mail package. I'd love to be able to send an SMS message via e-mail (Lotus Notes) to my reps mobiles (087 - Vodafone).

Thanks,

VJOC:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

All 087 users (post pay anyway, dunno about pre pay) can get an email address which is made up from their phone number ....like 0879876543@vodafone.ie ... once this is set up he can modify a setting that sends him a SMS if that email address gets an email ... I believe there is some way for the email to be read out as well, but I've never used it and I dont know if it is still offered ...

[edit]
    heh ... just after I typed this i checked the email for my phone and there was a message from vodafone, basically saying that the email reading service (e-trieve) is alive and well .. you can also check the emails using WAP .... both options are not cheap, but if they are business critical, then its money well spent
    [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Try this: 0,,3036,00.gif

Hope that helps...

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

yes its possible but i dont know how [i am such a great help arent i] i know chorus and a few other companys use it. try using ICQ you can send from the PC direclty to any network world wide for free but you should try a paid for service if it is for a business as ICQ isnt that reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Probably better to use something like ICQ. You can setup a client and enter multiple mobile numbers into a group and then type out a single SMS and send it to the group (for free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Hi There,

Tried ICQ but 087 doesn't support their e-mail system.

:confused:

I know Vodafone in the UK have this facility, but Vodafone Ireland doesn't and has no plans to introduce it.

Any other websites out there offering something along the lines of ICQ ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

i used to use it to send txts to 087 and it works fine, the only problem with it is the more you send the lower priorty your mesage becomes so if yuo send 10 or 15 in a day your message mightent go through. For business use your better off paying for a service just to make sure the mgs gets there

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

If you have any java programming experience, you could write a simple swing application that allows you to send sms's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

There's a perl script going round that lets you send text messages using the O2 webmail service (500 free messages/month) - you could maybe use procmail or something to make some sort of SMS gateway? (have a crude version of this working - need to do some more work on it when I'm not up to my eyeballs!)

HTH,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/ is the script that you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    http://www.mackers.com/projects/o2sms/ is the script that you are looking for.

That indeed would be it... nice one DBC.

(I won't embarrass myself by posting the laughable .procmailrc I threw together for it :D )

Oh, and the ICQ site doesn't list any Irish mobile networks (or UK ones for that matter) among the list of those it supports... :(

Gadget

• Advertisement

087 and 086 are supported the last time i used it [6 months ago] 085 wasnt supported that might have changed by now

Advertisement