Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best recent first person shooter?

Options
  • 13-05-2003 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

My exams finish on Friday. I'm not going home that day until I've got a new PC game. Any suggestions would be welcome :)
    Preferably a first person shooter, but i'm open to other ideas, if it's really good :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Red faction, it's not exactly new but if you haven't played it I would well reccomend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not a FPS, but GTA:Vice City's out for the PC on friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Mordeth
    Red faction, it's not exactly new but if you haven't played it I would well reccomend it!

Come on now! Thats a terribly flawed game! [/rant]

Maybe vietcong? C&C generals?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Balfa
    My exams finish on Friday. I'm not going home that day until I've got a new PC game. Any suggestions would be welcome :)
    Preferably a first person shooter, but i'm open to other ideas, if it's really good :D

Mafia, GTA : Vice City :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Unreal2 seemed pretty good, from what i played of it.
    I'd go for vice city though..... I love fps games, but got a huge kick out of gta3 on the pc........

red Faction is ****e....... Hated that feckin game- everyone bobs around so you can't get a clean shot :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i like ut2002 from what i've played- gta vice kicks ass and the matrix game is out soon, but i don't think it's first person

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

metroid prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Heh. dogboy ya plonker. I was actually considering either a new pc game, or... a gamecube with metroid or more likely zelda ;) but i'm not sure if i can justify buying a gamecube, considering i won't be living in a PAL country for very much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Balfa
    Heh. dogboy ya plonker. I was actually considering either a new pc game, or... a gamecube with metroid or more likely zelda ;) but i'm not sure if i can justify buying a gamecube, considering i won't be living in a PAL country for very much longer

its my way of telling everyone to buy a gamecube.......but it probably wont work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Change your avatar! I've had this for ages!

Best FPS would be Metroid Prime and Timesplitters 2. There hasn't been a decent FPS on PC since Medal of Honour and before that Half-life. You can pick up Deus ex cheap.

Don't get any Raven games. They are all terrible. Even worse is Unreal 2. Avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Unreal 2 is great. I would strongly disagree with anyone saying its not a worthy purchase. Not that I bought it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If you haven't already, get the Half-life:Generations pack.3 good (if somewhat similar-looking...) FPS for 30 wing wangs can't be bad.

If you have any cash left over, get Homeworld. Should be about a fiver, and it's a fantastic 3D space strategy romp. I finally finished it yesterday, and when I looked at my watch, it was about 6:30 am today. That means it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

metroid prime sucks as so do all console fps do

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

GoldenEye.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Metroid Prime does not suck, you'd know that if you'd played it. & a so called gamer wouldn't have the blind ignorance tos say that all consoles FPS's suck. Halo anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Operation Flashpoint & Resistance addon.
    Rogue Spear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ahh you're all wrong

Wolfenstein 3D is the only decent FPS ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Len_007
    Metroid Prime does not suck, you'd know that if you'd played it. & a so called gamer wouldn't have the blind ignorance tos say that all consoles FPS's suck. Halo anyone?
    Right up until the point where I was being forced to backtrack all over the place, littered with time-consuming (not challenging, just time-consuming) enemies, Metroid was one of the best games I've played all year.

From then - it just got too frustrating to bother with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

gta3 & vice city, a fine way to pass the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

While they're not exactly first person shooters , the Thief series is fantastic. Teaches you all sorts of stealthy stuff. Being able to complete a level without even knocking someone out gives me a feeling of immense satisfaction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

...theres a lot of non recent and non shooting titles appearing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats becaause the PC has suffered a severe lack of decent action games since Half-life. The console is king at the moment but from the HL2 videos that might just change.

Seriously Unreal 2 is one of the most unimaginative and lazy games and is unforgivably middle of the road and average. Same goes to RTCW.

Anyone who says Metroid Prime was crap should actually play it for more than half an hour and will discover one of the most beautiful and engrossing games ever. There is no way you can say it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

get jdoom!!

Got it the other day for the laff - still kicks ass :)

Basically its doom with a supped up 3d enginy type thing, including mouselook jumping, etc. Makes doom soooo much better than it used to be (plus its free).

Just do a google search for jdoom, download the loader & new models. And get the .wad files of kazaa if u need em. Well worth 20 mins downloading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well im enjoying Postal 2 at the moment. Though it is a very sick game. But than i have a sick mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Planetside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Rnger
    [/rant]

Maybe vietcong? C&C generals?

As an aside I picked up Generals for 14.99 in the music shop in Douglas, Cork a few weeks back. I think they mislabelled it (also selling Red Alert for 50 quid). That was the Tesco side for anyone interested.

well. firday's come and gone. I got a GC with metroid. I have to say i'm a little disappointed. What's all the fuss about? I mean, seriously, what is it about metroid that people find so amazing?

I've spent the whole time so far wandering about either scanning things and reading through a cumbersome interface (nowhere near as straightforward as reading things Deus Ex, for example) or pulling the trigger while the game aims for me.

Is that meant to be fun?

This isn't meant to be a bitchy post. i really hope the game will improve. and i really want to know what other people find in the game.

(also got Vice City, but it GPFs as soon as the game starts, when them fellas are sitting chatting round a table about sending meh to miami - anyone got a clue?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

you would have been wiser to check out super metroid before you got prime, it would have given you an idea about the whole metroid style of play.

gpf's?
    have you installed directx9, tried skipping the cutscene with the spacebar...

or maybe this might help?
    This fix is an UN-SUPPORTED update that corrects polygon corruption that has been noticed on certain video cards and PC combinations.

This is the only change that has been made from your original version of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
    http://www.take2games.com/support/patches/vicepatch_11.zip

retro, stop bitching about raven games, jkII & rtcw are my 2 favourite quake3 engine games

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tman
    gpf's?
    have you installed directx9, tried skipping the cutscene with the spacebar...

Nahh, it's not in the video cutscene, it's in the game-engine cut scene. can't skip it.

Heh. Just read on the site that it supposedly only works on the primary partition :/ That's a load of old bollx. My C: drive don't have enough room. Has anyone else got it to run off a partition besides C:?

Advertisement