Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best recent first person shooter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I was wondering that the fuss with metroid was all about for the first hour or so too.. but I found it got better and better as I got more stuff for my suit and got used to getting around the different areas. The bosses are excellent later on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Thanks Swifty. That's put my mind at ease a bit. I was beginning to wonder if i should have held onto my €185 yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well done swifty you just put some one off the best game this year so far. You probably haven't even gotten to the space pirates yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

erm, he just reassured him that it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Been playing Metroid Prime on and off for over a while not.. maybe only 5/6 hour play time and so far I'm not enjoying it. I think the key to enjoying metroid is having playing the older 2d games. Taken purely as an fps, so far.. its really awful - ****e controls, respawning baddies, quake3 level rendering, quake2 style enclosed spaces (if without doubt really really well designed and detailed). Its more interesting when considering the puzzle element of things, think zelda dungeons.

The continuous scanning is really getting to me, a) because scanning is slightly awkward to setup and get used to control wise b) it leaves you unable to do anything else c) I'm completely paranoid about even leaving one object unscanned.. it bugs me. So far I've only felt motion sick about twice, but thats bad when you consider how much of an fps player I am.

Upgrades have recently made things slightly more interesting though. I am getting the feeling that I should be more focused on the puzzle side of things to enjoy it.. slowing down also might be a good idea.. its early days yet - this might blossom into the best game EVAR if I tune into it right. So far though, 5/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

That's what i was thinking too, greenbean. I played it a fair bit last night, and i stopped treating it as a first person shooter and more like a platform game, and that's when i started enjoying it more. It's still not amazing, but i'm still giving it time ;)

It's a bit... y'know... consoley :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Well done swifty you just put some one off the best game this year so far. You probably haven't even gotten to the space pirates yet.

If you read the posts properly you would know that he has bought the game and was wondering if he had wasted his money. My post was a purely positive comment on the bloody game was it not?

As for scanning GB, I found the best way to do things is when you enter a new room just bang on the aul scanner and do a quick look around the room with it and scan any RED icons.. theyre usually the ones that go in the log book and the only ones you need for 100% scan. Yellow icons are usually just bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Dar
    get jdoom!!

Got it the other day for the laff - still kicks ass :)

Basically its doom with a supped up 3d enginy type thing, including mouselook jumping, etc. Makes doom soooo much better than it used to be (plus its free).

Just do a google search for jdoom, download the loader & new models. And get the .wad files of kazaa if u need em. Well worth 20 mins downloading :)
    wow, that is one spinky looking doom!
    Downloading it now, only 1.5meg!
    Its quite funny there, theres only 3 european mirrors.......... none of em in the UK.....but 1 of em is in dublin :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Maybe I should lay off the calpol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Thats becaause the PC has suffered a severe lack of decent action games since Half-life. The console is king at the moment but from the HL2 videos that might just change.

Thats is absolutely ridiculous. the console is not, never will be, never has been the king. I have a console and i have a pc but for sheer quality, the pc is a winner. Sof 2 is also one of the best first person shooters. Unreal2 is real good, i love the weapons but i dont like the game that much. Im not a big fps fan. But theres tons of great action games for the pc...and there always will be. Im not gonna name them...that would be stupid. everyone has their own tastes and can make up their own mind.

• Advertisement

I've a PC and haven't used it to play any games recent except MOH and Warcraft 3 in the last 2 years. I think the quality of action games in the past 2 years on consoles has been much better while the PC has had a severe lack of any decent action games (However there have been some great strategy PC games). As for SOF2 I detested this game and don't know how i brought myself to finish it. Found the guns boring and and the levels annoying and dull. And the story was ridiculous ( maybe thats just me since I am doing Science in college and spotted loads of flaws in the biological warfare theme). Unreal too was just average and played it far too safe. It didn't add anything new and was fairly dull as a result. I think developers should take a long look a Halflife 2 ( and the bosses in Metroid Prime, whatever you think of the game it still has the only bosses that actually worked well in a fps).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

And the story was ridiculous ( maybe thats just me since I am doing Science in college and spotted loads of flaws in the biological warfare theme).

Ye that really pissed me off too...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

SOF2 you have to be kidding...awful game

Unreal2 while it looks great, doesn't really add anything new to the genre and its very linear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Yawn - Easy.
    Get Battlefield 1942.
    Obviously owns all the above.

Personally I prefer Operation Flashpoint or Ghost Recon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Metroid prime has to be the best FPS ive played since half life. Its the only one ive played that had any real innovation in the genre, games like MOH:Frontline, while not without their charms, are just bog standard run n' gun gameplay and nothing else.
    As for forthcoming FPS'...only one word...DOOM. Err..and one number, 3. If that doesnt turn out to be the greatest FPS, ill be severely pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Daikatana.

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    Daikatana.

Ha ha

MOH:Frontline - waaaay too linear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Have to say i really enjoy Unreal 2 I think it is a beautiful game to look at , its quite polished it has great sound and is definately head and shoulders above a lot of the dross out there
    ok so it doesn't push boundaries but should that necessarily detract from it what do people want ??

I also have an x box and use my pc much more often, the x box is only superior for beat em ups and convienance

SOF2 I thought was good it was solid and enjoyable if I was to sit down and pick holes in every plot line I have ever read I would never have any enjoyment, its called the ability to suspend disbelief

MOH allied assault is still for the the best , it has great atmosphere and settings and I really like it, the beach landing etc are really really well done and even make people stop and look who normally would have no interest in computer games never mind FPS games

Morrowind while not and FPS per say is from the first person perspective and is graphically very strong, and is really quite addictive and complusive . Anyeay thats my 2 cent worth for the boards.ie melting pot

Can't agree with what you say apart from MOHAA but I'm not going to analyse it.

As for Doom3 it's starting to look more like a playable game but Halflife 2 is bound to be way better. It won't be anywhere near as good as the originals (still the best co-op games ever).

• Advertisement

Have to say the beach level in MOHAA is a great example of why I don't like the game. Theres no skill involved on getting to the beach and you can only progress one way. The levels when you are on vehicles are even worse. It really only an arcade game. Which if you like that kinda think then fair enuff. But for me its been done to death in many games since I first played Wolfinstein 3D. Even back then you had more than one way to finish a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Thats becaause the PC has suffered a severe lack of decent action games since Half-life.

Dues Ex, Max Payne, Hitman 1 & 2, Op flash, Quake 3, Rainbow Six RS, Unreal 2k3.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Hmmm...

Op Flashpoint have to say I loved it.
    Deus ex haven't played it but heard good things and will soon.
    Same with R6
    Max Payne I detested far too samey and repetitive.
    Hitman was alright.
    As for the other two they are great in multiplayer but I was looking at it in a single player point of view (should have made that clearer)

Well really my point is that compared to the great stff on the PS2 and Cube the PC doesn't really come close except in on-line play where it surpasses. I think PC gaming needs a kick up the arse. Have to say though that the European developers are definitely making up for the severe lack a average and dull games from America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Hmmm...
    Well really my point is that compared to the great stff on the PS2 and Cube the PC doesn't really come close except in on-line play where it surpasses. I think PC gaming needs a kick up the arse. .

Id have to agree, i dont think consoles going online is going to amount to much of anything (especially in ireland, bloody eircom and bloody sony making ps2 broadband only) Consoles were always about the single player games, or about whomping a mate at street fighter 2 or whatever. So i think consoles will always have the better single player experiences (Ico, Metroid, Resident evil, MGS2 etc)
    But even tho the p.c is king for online gaming, i think p.c games still have too much of a "beardy geek" stigma to them.
    And as for max payne, bloody hell..bulet time was boring after the first level. NEXT!
    And deus ex, i thought was amazing for the first few hours of playing it, but got a bit too repetitive, and even tho im not a graphics whore, it really does look shabby.

Advertisement