Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have NTL got back to anyone

Options
  • 13-05-2003 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I spoke to NTL last week about there Broadband they advised me that they would get back to Me after 5 days when they have tested my lines in lucan But still no joy .

Have they got back to anyone and where in Lucan are you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

No direct reply from NTL as yet. :-( but there's still the rest of today to go

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK the only infrastructure in Adamstown is irishwan.

10,000 houses
    No roads, buses , shops , trains, ADSL exchanges etc.

But it is a connection to irishwan is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

I called them a couple of times last week and no reply. I don't think they have a lot to tell me though....My estate isn't on the list they have so I guess there won't be any news until they decide on the next phase......when ever that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

No direct reply to my first contact with NTL but when I rang them back today I was told by someone (next time get a name! *slaps self around head) on the install team that my estate should be done within the month. Looks like they are planning a fairly active rollout and have a schedule of sites.

BTW can anyone lend me a big bag of salt, just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

<== raises eyebrow and chews pen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Is anyone else getting a strange sense of deja-vu from all this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Is anyone else getting a strange sense of deja-vu from all this?

Thing is though, if their test of the new way of rolling this out is successful in lucan, there's no reason why the rollout won't be extensive.

I asked the guy I was speaking to in NTL about the current 'test phase' and he said there was a huge uptake. IF that's the case and IF this new method they have is so easily implemented then I guess the rollout could be expanded to the rest of Lucan and beyond fairly quickly.
    Then again, if it's a test phase then I guess they may want to see how it performs over time with a number of people using it. That could take time.
    Who knows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

IF this new method they have is so easily implemented then I guess the rollout could be expanded to the rest of Lucan and beyond fairly quickly

Does anyone know any specifics with regards to this "new method" of rolling out ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by MDR
    Does anyone know any specifics with regards to this "new method" of rolling out ?

AFAIK, they now install the filters, 2 way amps etc etc into cabinets at the edge of an estate/street or whatever instead of at each house so the cost is dramitically reduced. Their testing to see if this new way is viable. Don't quote me on this though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I think it may be more that they only install a fibre connection to one point in an estate, instead to the end of each road. They then run all the upgraded co-ax cable to this point. But again, this is only going on what I've read here and what nlt: have previously told me about the old roll-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I got it installed yesterday and so far it's great. I'm in the Griffeen Glen area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

hi.

congrates on getting ntl. im around the corner from the area your in. and hopefully getting ntl(roll on pay day :p)

But i want to know if there was a 3rd party installation fee charged. in the small print it mentioned it. so was the installation fee the advertised price on the web site or was there an additional fee charged as per small print and if so how much?

thanks

Small print you say? Oops, I didn't read any. I didn't pay a penny so unless they tack a little extra on to my next bill, I'd say don't worry. Just rooted out the slaes receipt and it was definitely €65 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    I think it may be more that they only install a fibre connection to one point in an estate, instead to the end of each road. They then run all the upgraded co-ax cable to this point. But again, this is only going on what I've read here and what nlt: have previously told me about the old roll-out.
    Yup, generally it seems they need to get the fibre to each specific road or even to each house from what I've been tols, with the new way they're doing ti they install the equipment they used to install at each house at just one point in an area and t work, the range is diminished apparently but it seems to work apparently on the whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

To be honest with you I wouldnt ever rely on NTL ever releasing broadband over here, unless your in the areas that have it. You cannot get it now and you will never be able to get it. They have run their business into the ground in this country, by sitting around with their thumb in their ass whinging about making no money. In fairness how is anyone meant to make any money when they dont actually release a product or advertise it?

Id say wait for competitors DSL.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

cheers 40coats.

now all i need is the €65!

40 Coats,
    How is the service working out for you? Are you getting the full download speed consistently? Do you know if many people in you estate have taken up the offer? What's the modem like?
    I'm in Rossberry myself so I'm right on the border. I'm hoping they get to me in the next phase which hopefully won't be too far off. Not that NTL have been able to give me any idea about that!
    Any info you good give would be great.

Originally posted by raeGten
    40 Coats,
    How is the service working out for you? Are you getting the full download speed consistently? Do you know if many people in you estate have taken up the offer? What's the modem like?
    I'm in Rossberry myself so I'm right on the border. I'm hoping they get to me in the next phase which hopefully won't be too far off. Not that NTL have been able to give me any idea about that!
    Any info you good give would be great.

So far no complaints at all. From what I remember i get pings to this board somewhere in the 20's and pings to a Uk site in the 40's. Downloads are averaging about the 60-80 kbs range depending on where you're going obviously it can differ quite a bit (lowest I've seen is about 35, highest 133 or so. When the guy installed it he went to some test server and I got speeds of 560). I didn't pay any attention to the modem, it worked, i connected it to my router and that was about it. I asked was I sharing my bandwidth with anyone yet, he said no but then he probably would say that anyway.

Sounds good. I guess I'll just have to keep hassling them to get my estate connected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement