Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons

Options
  • 13-05-2003 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

My boyfriend got a summons in the door on sunday morning well it was actually 4 summons

- for not having a licence
    -for not having insurance
    -for not producing insurance
    -for not producing licence

well he did produce his licence and insurance in the ten days he has to produce, we went to the garda station he produced in and they have record of it (which we got a copy of) but yet he was told he still has to go to court (which means taking a day off work and losing a day's pay)

is there anyway he can get it quashed before he has to take a day off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Going to the Garda involved should sort it out - he probably doesn't want to waste a day in court either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

we tried that actually

hes sick until whenever

they would tell us when he would be back but rest assured he will be there in court is what we were told

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

You have to contact the Garda that issued the summons . He will then appear in court on the specified day and explain to the justice thet all relevant items had been produced and the justice will strike out ..

If he is in a good mood ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

ok, this happened to me as well :)

what probably happened was your boyfriend DID produce his license etc at a Garda station. However, did he produce it at the station that he told the Garda who stopped him he'd produce it at?

These things are written into big books, they are not computerised, so that could be the cause of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

oh and don't phone them, go and visit the station he produced his details in, and take the summons in with him. Get them to check if him producing is recorded, show them the summons, ask why etc. If it is just a simple misunderstanding then they'll sort it out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

yes he produced at the right garda station, we already went to the garda station and they copied the book to show that it was entered but they said they cant do anything about only the guard who summons him can, be hes off sick for god knows how long and if he stills sick when it comes to court he can send another guard in his place to ask for another date

that will mean 2 days off work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

If the guard is still sick when the date comes up the case will be adjourned.

Get in contact with the sergeant in charge of the station where the guard is based. Explain situation to him & he should arrange to let you know to when the case is adjourned. There should be no need for you to go unless you intend objecting to the adjournment.

In any case get talking to the guard before the final court date, there should be no prob him getting it struck out without you appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

very same thing happened to me last year, same summons and everything. after a crash in leopardstown 2 years ago i was asked to produce lience and insurance ( i opted for tallaght garda station as it is my local) so on the evening of the accident i went to the station and produced both. As was mentioned earlier iy was written in a big book. All was then forgoen about until Mar of last year when i got the summons for may. I went back to tallaght garda station and got letter from a gard to say that i had produced the licence and insurance and took it to blackrock station ( issueing garda's station) with my insurance and licence only to be told the gard wasnt in, so i left a letter of explanation along with copies of the relevant documents in the station for the gard. a week passed without reply so i rang a couple of times (she was always out or not in) so i faxed another copy of the details to the station for her attention and this went on and on until the court date so i turned up in court and after waiting my turn for 2 hrs the guard in question was sick that week and the judge decided that because i had forgotten my insurance cert that i would have to come bak in 3 weeks ( even though i had the letter from the guard in tallaght exp[laining everything) so 3 weeks later iagain i went and waitred for hrs only for the guard to adress the judge when my name was called and motioned for the summons to b stricken without me even be acknowledged as being there. so this was a huge waste of my time because 1 guard decided not todo her job abnd check if i had prduced my docs in the station i told her i would and then being too lazy to return a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I got something like this.

I was stopped in Drumcondra, and asked to produce Licence and Insurance in a station of my choice. I elected Clontarf, as its my local. As I drove a motorbike at the tiem you didnt have to carry the insurance disk with you.

I went to Clontarf, produced all, and it was written into the book there ant then.

Couple of months later, I recieve a summons for
    - Not producing Licence
    - Not producing Insurance
    - An unlicenced/uninsured Driver driving my Motorbike.

It was me that he stopped, and I was fully licenced and fully insured, feckin cheek...

Checked it all in Clontarf Stn and they had records of it. Got the letter etc...

Anyway I took a day off work to go and sit waiting in court for 3 hours. I was called, the Garda that had brought the charges against me was on Border patrol so the case was dismissed...

I think that they should be charged for wasting our time, and I think that we would be fully entitled to go seeking this money. We did what was requested of us in the first place, and it was because of the Garda's incompetence, or busyness or whatever reason that we had to take a day off work and a day less pay.

Advertisement