Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dab Radio frequency

• 13-05-2003 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm an ex-Dub living in Belfast and was looking at purchasing a Dab Radio.

What southern Channels would be available to me.

Our RTE feed up here is a disgrace - Not RTE's fault I believe.

Also anyone with experince of Dab I'd love their feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by pascall

Nothing, ya cannot even get all the UK chanells...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a Satellite Receiver. Better quality than DAB.
    The Irish RADIO Stations and about 55 other radio on Satellite are FTA so any receiver will do.

Also WRN is on "Worldspace" a low cost (cheaper than DAB) portable Satellite radio (more portable than DAB) who often have RTE1 radio.

With a roof VHF aerial (vertical, not those useless "halo aerials") you should get decent RTE etc on VHF-FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by pascall

As others have said - none - put your post code into http://www.digitalradionow.com/ and it'll tell you what you'll get

The RTE reception in NI obviously depends on your proximity to the nearest transmitter over the border and the geography in between.

But I bet you it's much better than my BBC Radio 1 reception here in Athlone!

I have a set, and I do like it because it looks like a Radio, it sits beside the bed, and it doesn't need to be attached to anything (apart from the mains) like a TV or Hi-Fi in order to listen to it. ANd the sound quality is good on most stations.

I've tried it in several locations in the Republic without success, but I plan to try it in Dublin to see if I can pick up Today FM and WRN which, I believe, are the only DAB stations here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Richard and pascall, I have a Psion Wavefinder here.... its been silent since I got it.... 8 months now :(

The only DAB in ROI is in Dunnes/ Tesco. The cleaning product.
    There was some rumour of tests long ago.
    Years ago now we had DTT tests too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

A good site for all information on DAB, including information on what receivers are available:

http://www.wohnort.demon.co.uk/DAB/index.html

As watty says, there are currently no DAB broadcasts in Ireland, although RTE did conduct tests a few years ago (1999 I think).

If you connect FOUR big 10 Element band III TV aerials (DAB = 229MHZ, Band III = 175 to 300MHz), with matched phase, on a very big pole about 2ft apart in line with rods vertical, you might get DAB sometimes.

During high pressur clear weather you get "Tropspheric Lift" and VHF from Strabane can be picked up in Limerick.

Obviously more North or east, reception will be more often.

But without a Mast with massive BandIII aeiral pointed at UK/NI, you won't get anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

http://www.rte.ie/radio/dab/

Not updated in 4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by DMC
    Richard and pascall, I have a Psion Wavefinder here.... its been silent since I got it.... 8 months now :(

Oh.

I won't bother trying it then.

I also tried it in Wexford, but no joy either.

Advertisement